Suns Owner Robert Sarver Threatens To Move The Team If He Can't Bully Phoenix Out Of More Money

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns Owner Robert Sarver Threatens To Move The Team If He Can't Bully Phoenix Out Of More Money

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:43 pm
Since the team's worth has tripled since Sarver bought it, shouldn't he want to sell it sometime soon to reap the benefits of his investment?
No, unfortunately. To steal a line from Billions, sports franchises are how we knight people in this country.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Re: Suns Owner Robert Sarver Threatens To Move The Team If He Can't Bully Phoenix Out Of More Money

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

For what it's worth, Suns CEO Jason Rowley told Burns and Gambo that the rumors of a threat by Sarver were false.

He also claimed that in the last 26 years, the Suns have paid $150 million for the upkeep of the arena, and the city has only paid $80 million. Thus, the proposed deal would simply even it out at 50/50.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It isn’t that people aren’t coming to the games because the arena sucks. They aren’t coming to the games because the team sucks.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:30 pm
For what it's worth, Suns CEO Jason Rowley told Burns and Gambo that the rumors of a threat by Sarver were false.

He also claimed that in the last 26 years, the Suns have paid $150 million for the upkeep of the arena, and the city has only paid $80 million. Thus, the proposed deal would simply even it out at 50/50.
Rowley said that they have no intention of moving and then immediately followed that up by saying that Seattle, Las Vegas, and Kansas City would love to have an NBA team. WTF?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Xylus wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm
JeremyG wrote:

Rowley said that they have no intention of moving and then immediately followed that up by saying that Seattle, Las Vegas, and Kansas City would love to have an NBA team. WTF?
Maybe that’s what Sarver told the city officials also? And so they think they can claim it’s not a (direct) “threat”? :lol:

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:12 pm
Xylus wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm
JeremyG wrote:

Maybe that’s what Sarver told the city officials also? And so they think they can claim it’s not a (direct) “threat”? :lol:
Saying something by pointing out that you’re not saying it sounds like the kind of game Sarver would play. It’s a favorite rhetorical technique of his idol.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Honestly the deal with the city that is proposed is not unfair IMO. I just hate Sarver and don’t think he deserves one penny of public funding so I am against it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know exactly what kind of deal is or isn't fair. But I'll tell you this. When you lose your team, it effing sucks. And you can't count on getting another one in just a few years. Seattle got screwed out of their team and a decade later they're still waiting and hoping. If Saver takes the Suns out of Phoenix, y'all aren't going to have a pro hoops team for a long, long time. He's a horrible owner, but be careful what you wish for.

SDC

Post by SDC »

only way for sarver to salvage this situation is to bring back the colangelos to run the team. bryan is looking for redemption and that would make the godfather happy.

the other option is to lure dgriff back

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 pm
Honestly the deal with the city that is proposed is not unfair IMO. I just hate Sarver and don’t think he deserves one penny of public funding so I am against it.
When you say public funding, you mean the money taken from visitors to Phoenix in the form of taxes collected on hotels and rental cars?

A tax that was set up to build and pay for renovations over time? Every 15 years renovations need to take place, to keep it up to date. If the Suns leave, the city is still responsible for paying to either renovate it or tear it down.

On a separate note, maybe it's just me, but it annoys me to no end when fans of other teams in other states chime in and are excited to send the team to Seattle or somewhere else. To me, I want to tell them this is a family issue and to butt the f out of it. F'n mind your own damn business.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am
specialsauce wrote:
When you say public funding, you mean the money taken from visitors to Phoenix in the form of taxes collected on hotels and rental cars?

A tax that was set up to build and pay for renovations over time? Every 15 years renovations need to take place, to keep it up to date. If the Suns leave, the city is still responsible for paying to either renovate it or tear it down.

On a separate note, maybe it's just me, but it annoys me to no end when fans of other teams in other states chime in and are excited to send the team to Seattle or somewhere else. To me, I want to tell them this is a family issue and to butt the f out of it. F'n mind your own damn business.
Yes, correct. That’s what I mean.

Ultimately, he should get the support. He’s putting $80M + another $30M for a practice facility and the $150M is reasonable for a city owned arena that is multipurpose.

That doesn’t mean I want him to get it. I’d prefer he get a bag of shiny dicks.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Sarver can run naked backwards through a field of dicks.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:05 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am
specialsauce wrote:

Yes, correct. That’s what I mean.

Ultimately, he should get the support. He’s putting $80M + another $30M for a practice facility and the $150M is reasonable for a city owned arena that is multipurpose.

That doesn’t mean I want him to get it. I’d prefer he get a bag of shiny dicks.
I agree. It's a fair deal.

What I don't get is the guy from another city or another state thinking that they have a dog in this fight and are adamant that the money shouldn't be used for the arena.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

i wasnt a fan of sarvers during the nash years. but the last six yrs i put the blame more on mcdo.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:12 am
Sarver can run naked backwards through a field of dicks.
Lmao. The visual is disturbing.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

https://www.nba.com/suns/now

Rowley says the comments were never made by him or Sarver and that the Republic reporter never contacted them to confirm it. He says there was no threat made.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pm
https://www.nba.com/suns/now

Rowley says the comments were never made by him or Sarver and that the Republic reporter never contacted them to confirm it. He says there was no threat made.
and? its all spin at this point to put out a fire that never should have been made in the 1st place.
try and leave Phoenix Bob, I dare ya. You wont be able to, not w/ JC being as big of a deal as he still is and you'll alienate the fanbase even more forcing you to sell. Thats a win for us.

Bob, your forever in JC's shadow, accept your place, let go of the control you think you deserve w this team and let an intelligent basketball mind run the ship and maybe you can enjoy JC's shade.
~~~~~