Suns Owner Robert Sarver Threatens To Move The Team If He Can't Bully Phoenix Out Of More Money

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns Owner Robert Sarver Threatens To Move The Team If He Can't Bully Phoenix Out Of More Money

Post by In2ition »

Gambo had a City council member on the radio today and he said that Sarver did literally nothing wrong. The City of Phoenix has been dropping the ball on this. Maybe the palaver has been wrong and unwarranted.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Re: Suns Owner Robert Sarver Threatens To Move The Team If He Can't Bully Phoenix Out Of More Money

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:16 pm
Gambo had a City council member on the radio today and he said that Sarver did literally nothing wrong. The City of Phoenix has been dropping the ball on this. Maybe the palaver has been wrong and unwarranted.
Sarver was a twat before this issue, and even if he’s not in the wrong here he still remains a twat.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:16 pm
Sarver was a twat before this issue, and even if he’s not in the wrong here he still remains a twat.
And a rich twat, which means it's likely that he has people such as city council members in his pocket specifically for this issue.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:12 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:05 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 pm
Honestly the deal with the city that is proposed is not unfair IMO. I just hate Sarver and don’t think he deserves one penny of public funding so I am against it.
When you say public funding, you mean the money taken from visitors to Phoenix in the form of taxes collected on hotels and rental cars?

A tax that was set up to build and pay for renovations over time? Every 15 years renovations need to take place, to keep it up to date. If the Suns leave, the city is still responsible for paying to either renovate it or tear it down.

On a separate note, maybe it's just me, but it annoys me to no end when fans of other teams in other states chime in and are excited to send the team to Seattle or somewhere else. To me, I want to tell them this is a family issue and to butt the f out of it. F'n mind your own damn business.
Yes, correct. That’s what I mean.

Ultimately, he should get the support. He’s putting $80M + another $30M for a practice facility and the $150M is reasonable for a city owned arena that is multipurpose.

That doesn’t mean I want him to get it. I’d prefer he get a bag of shiny dicks.
I agree. It's a fair deal.

What I don't get is the guy from another city or another state thinking that they have a dog in this fight and are adamant that the money shouldn't be used for the arena.
Most people besides the locals don't know about the tax system set up to maintain the arena. Everyone else just sees it as a billionaire getting another break to make his company more valuable at the expense of the average citizen. It still is that to some degree, but there's more grey area that the typical outsider isn't aware of.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:12 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Honestly the deal with the city that is proposed is not unfair IMO. I just hate Sarver and don’t think he deserves one penny of public funding so I am against it.
When you say public funding, you mean the money taken from visitors to Phoenix in the form of taxes collected on hotels and rental cars?

A tax that was set up to build and pay for renovations over time? Every 15 years renovations need to take place, to keep it up to date. If the Suns leave, the city is still responsible for paying to either renovate it or tear it down.

On a separate note, maybe it's just me, but it annoys me to no end when fans of other teams in other states chime in and are excited to send the team to Seattle or somewhere else. To me, I want to tell them this is a family issue and to butt the f out of it. F'n mind your own damn business.

Ultimately, he should get the support. He’s putting $80M + another $30M for a practice facility and the $150M is reasonable for a city owned arena that is multipurpose.

I agree. It's a fair deal.

What I don't get is the guy from another city or another state thinking that they have a dog in this fight and are adamant that the money shouldn't be used for the arena.
Most people besides the locals don't know about the tax system set up to maintain the arena. Everyone else just sees it as a billionaire getting another break to make his company more valuable at the expense of the average citizen. It still is that to some degree, but there's more grey area that the typical outsider isn't aware of.
I realize this, and it just smacks of "2 minutes of hate" from 1984.

I've just never been one to be jealous of other people's money, success, and good fortune. Now, if you screw me over on the way to the top, that's a different story.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1073361084671614976

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

[tweet][/tweet]

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

@Xylus: LMAO!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/DevinBook/status/1073387689120915456

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There's been a lot of confusion on the topic. Sarver doesn't own the arena. The city of Phoenix does. It is in their contract to keep the facility updated. It benefits both the Suns and the city to keep it in working order.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:35 pm
There's been a lot of confusion on the topic. Sarver doesn't own the arena. The city of Phoenix does. It is in their contract to keep the facility updated. It benefits both the Suns and the city to keep it in working order.
Thank you.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

My main problem isn't with the Suns asking the city to pay their share (because it really is their building). It's the way he goes about doing it. He has no tact or foresight.

How did this guy ever get rich?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm
My main problem isn't with the Suns asking the city to pay their share (because it really is their building). It's the way he goes about doing it. He has no tact or foresight.

His parents were rich.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:18 pm
There isnt a more annoying hot take voice that covers the NBA than this woman.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:32 pm

https://twitter.com/DevinBook/status/1073387689120915456

I'd love a lot things too for 150 million.. LIKE A LOT OF THINGS.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Cap wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:35 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

His parents were rich.
Gordon Gekko: "The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons ..."
--Wall Street
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

SDC

Post by SDC »

this is being discussed now on reddit

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I guess Stan Van Gundy won't be coaching the Suns anytime soon. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.