Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Post by jonh »

SDC wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm
who in their right mind would hire james jones after this?
Robert Sarver.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My understanding was that the Suns knew they couldn’t get “The guy” PG this year and were hoping to limp through this year in hopes of picking up our real starting PG next year in either free agency or the draft. I don’t think they thought we would suck this bad but, it is what it is. All the guys in this trade are free agents next year so Ariza or Rivers are just rentals anyway. It sounds like Rivers is as good or better than anything else we have right now. We are already loaded at SF so, there s a chance we picked up a semi competent PG as a rental for the rest of the season. I don’t see that as a horrible thing.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

SDC wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:10 am
Or at least an asset that makes sense for the team. I don't think it's asking for a lot to not trade for small forwards

SDC

Post by SDC »

after griff and kerr left, sarver was able to find a replacement gm in lon babby, but the suns had to sign his clients hedo, warrick, and josh childress.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:05 pm
My understanding was that the Suns knew they couldn’t get “The guy” PG this year and were hoping to limp through this year in hopes of picking up our real starting PG next year in either free agency or the draft. I don’t think they thought we would suck this bad but, it is what it is. All the guys in this trade are free agents next year so Ariza or Rivers are just rentals anyway. It sounds like Rivers is as good or better than anything else we have right now. We are already loaded at SF so, there s a chance we picked up a semi competent PG as a rental for the rest of the season. I don’t see that as a horrible thing.
Except we already have our combo guard in Jamal Crawford

SDC

Post by SDC »

suns were able to survive Kidd Karma, but the Dragic Curse...

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:56 am
I think Oubre is better than Josh Jackson

EDC

Post by EDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 pm
We sucked before this trade, and we will suck after this trade.
Yeah this really doesn't do much for us. Kinda stupid to get another sf but whatever. As long as Bridges gets to start.

Unless there is another surprise trade it looks like the front office is resigned to the fact that we are going to have the worst record in the league. Kinda sad that they are willing to give up another year. Apparently they aren't too worried about a losing culture setting in or maybe they think it can't get any worse. I think they are wrong about that though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t see how this is a negative for James Jones. It really seems like the suns were in the right here. If you disagree with the trade return, that’s fine, but we didn’t butcher this trade like some people think. It’s prettt clear to me that either Memphis is flat out lying or Washington relayed incorrect information to us.

Pips

Post by Pips »

And Lakers didnt get another player from Suns.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't see how it's a bad trade. We didn't get any worse. Ariza was already a one year rental. We got a younger guy with more potential to replace him. Plus, we got a guy to test out at PG for the year. I'd say we're maybe slightly better after the trade. We'll see.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 am
Oubre can be traded in a 1 for 1 deal anytime. Don’t think he can be a part of a multi player trade before the deadline.
The trade does not get called in until Monday, so theoretically they could work the phones over the weekend and flip Oubre for something and make it a three way trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Good point.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
I do too. He is longer (7-4 wingspan), plays with more control, and is nearly as athletic. I think he might have more upside. I would consider dealing JJ while people are still enamored that he was the 4th pick in the draft.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:21 pm
I don't see how it's a bad trade. We didn't get any worse. Ariza was already a one year rental. We got a younger guy with more potential to replace him. Plus, we got a guy to test out at PG for the year. I'd say we're maybe slightly better after the trade. We'll see.
We got a guy who started 59 games in a season for a playoff team. That is at least something.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:43 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
I do too. He is longer (7-4 wingspan), plays with more control, and is nearly as athletic. I think he might have more upside. I would consider dealing JJ while people are still enamored that he was the 4th pick in the draft.
This trade makes a lot more sense if we end up sending Josh Jackson somewhere. But I think we're going to need to get really creative if we want to give sensible minutes to Bridges, Jackson, Oubre, and Warren in spots where they can be effective.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I still think Jackson has a higher ceiling, not sure he’ll get there though. If oubre plays well, I’d be fine moving Jackson for an actual pg or pf

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:05 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:02 am
I like Oubre, but we already have enough small forwards. In addition to that, is Austin Rivers really a PG? We could have held out for better assets that fit our team.

This team makes me want to puke.
Not sure what you expected to get for an old rental player though.
It's not the talent level we received, it's the type of players we received. More bad fits. More terrible roster construction. I don't think it is any better than just waiving Ariza.

I wasn't expecting significant talent or future prospects, just pieces that fit, that help this team function for the rest of the season. That is not Austin Rivers and Kelly Oubre. Satoransky would have been better for the Suns than either of those players.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:21 pm
We got a guy who started 59 games in a season for a playoff team. That is at least something.
Ha, people said the same thing about Ryan Anderson. We'll never learn.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 pm
I still think Jackson has a higher ceiling, not sure he’ll get there though. If oubre plays well, I’d be fine moving Jackson for an actual pg or pf
Well first, there is a very long list of players who are better than what Josh Jackson is now. Jackson's value is in what he could be; saying Oubre is better than him really isn't saying anything significant.

I really don't see why we need to connect the fates of Oubre and Jackson. Jackson presence on the roster was a bit superfluous before the trade and still is after the trade. Oubre should not be in our plans at all unless he plays out of his mind and we see a noteworthy elevation of the team's performance.