Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Post by SunsRIt »

What are the chances we see TJ Warren traded soon and not Josh Jackson? Warren has value, Jackson not so much.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It would have to be something really significant. For instance, Jeff Teague would not qualify.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:38 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 am
Oubre can be traded in a 1 for 1 deal anytime. Don’t think he can be a part of a multi player trade before the deadline.
The trade does not get called in until Monday, so theoretically they could work the phones over the weekend and flip Oubre for something and make it a three way trade.
I hope so.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I didn't realize Oubre averages a whopping 0.7 assists per game in 26 minutes per game.

Seriously, you couldn't pick two guys worse for our roster. Geez.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

This trade feels like a missed opportunity in a long line of missed opportunities. I don't think it really solves any issues, and really just kicks the can down the road a bit more. In terms of objective *value* I think we did well. Hopefully, Rivers and Oubre enjoy being out of Washington and we see some defensive intensity. If Rivers starts over Melton, I will end up feeling more negative about the trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d welcome Delon Wright or Tyus Jones

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

n4th4n wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:18 pm
If Rivers starts over Melton, I will end up feeling more negative about the trade.
Yeah, I don't see any value in playing Rivers over Melton. Melton is actually starting to show progress. If the Suns had gotten a pure point guard, like Milos Teodosic, I could see the benefit in playing him over Melton. But giving minutes to a score-first, poor-shooting, tweener guard? I don't get it.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Last year Rivers got 15 and 4 for the clippers as primary Point in a 42 win season. We need much better guard play. This isn’t the move I would have made but it’s at least better and I can see the logic behind it.We will definitely see better basketball. I’m more worried whether he gets along with the rest of the team.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Doc knew how to get the best out of his son.

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:12 am
i'm out.
Promises, promises...

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
I didn't realize Oubre averages a whopping 0.7 assists per game in 26 minutes per game.

Seriously, you couldn't pick two guys worse for our roster. Geez.
Lol
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:21 pm
I don't see how it's a bad trade. We didn't get any worse. Ariza was already a one year rental. We got a younger guy with more potential to replace him. Plus, we got a guy to test out at PG for the year. I'd say we're maybe slightly better after the trade. We'll see.
We got a guy who started 59 games in a season for a playoff team. That is at least something.
Ryan Anderson started a lot of games for the best regular season team in the league last year....
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:22 pm
n4th4n wrote:
If Rivers starts over Melton, I will end up feeling more negative about the trade.
Yeah, I don't see any value in playing Rivers over Melton. Melton is actually starting to show progress. If the Suns had gotten a pure point guard, like Milos Teodosic, I could see the benefit in playing him over Melton. But giving minutes to a score-first, poor-shooting, tweener guard? I don't get it.
I think it's important that we have a veteran-ish PG who can run the team smoothly, get others involved and make the game easier for them. I like what I've seen from Melton, but I wouldn't feel comfortable starting him and giving him 30+ minutes a night the rest of the season. And I think it's detrimental to the team and Melton to put him in that position. Unless Rivers is a truly toxic personality in the lockerroom and/or on the court, I think we did well. Maybe Doc is/was the only the one to get anything out of him, but the situation in Washington this year wasn't exactly ideal and I think this offense could suit him and the team well.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 pm
Ok I’ve chilled out now from my initial reaction and reflected on some positives. Watched some highlights read some articles.
Here’s my take so far with Austin Rivers:
Pros
-is a good defender who plays with a large chip on his shoulder.
-he’s in a contract year and needs to get back to where he was last year hanging 15ppg, over 2 3s per game.
-we keep flexibility for free agency and draft picks.
-Rivers is better than any PG on our team. He’s better passing to bigs than any of our point guards.
-he plays with a lot of fight and hit big shots.
-he penetrates and gets to the cup
-he’ll be a better ballahmdler on the team. Killer crossover.
-creates his own shots.
-his play in Washington is skewed to a bad team culture
-Crawford likes him.
Cons are:
-probably an assh@le teammate. Arrogant, Ron artest kinda player.
-streaky and can take bad shots
-not elite playmaker
Is it possible that this teams needs an Artest kinda guy? :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:07 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 pm
I still think Jackson has a higher ceiling, not sure he’ll get there though. If oubre plays well, I’d be fine moving Jackson for an actual pg or pf
Well first, there is a very long list of players who are better than what Josh Jackson is now. Jackson's value is in what he could be; saying Oubre is better than him really isn't saying anything significant.

I really don't see why we need to connect the fates of Oubre and Jackson. Jackson presence on the roster was a bit superfluous before the trade and still is after the trade. Oubre should not be in our plans at all unless he plays out of his mind and we see a noteworthy elevation of the team's performance.
That’s fair, I’m not going to be upset if we move both of them. I think there could still be a place for Jackson here, but not for both of them.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:10 pm
What are the chances we see TJ Warren traded soon and not Josh Jackson? Warren has value, Jackson not so much.
That would be just like the Suns and he wants the city to invest in his product. :roll:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think Oubre's part of any future plans. I'd take Jackson over him every time.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:00 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 pm
Ok I’ve chilled out now from my initial reaction and reflected on some positives. Watched some highlights read some articles.
Here’s my take so far with Austin Rivers:
Pros
-is a good defender who plays with a large chip on his shoulder.
-he’s in a contract year and needs to get back to where he was last year hanging 15ppg, over 2 3s per game.
-we keep flexibility for free agency and draft picks.
-Rivers is better than any PG on our team. He’s better passing to bigs than any of our point guards.
-he plays with a lot of fight and hit big shots.
-he penetrates and gets to the cup
-he’ll be a better ballahmdler on the team. Killer crossover.
-creates his own shots.
-his play in Washington is skewed to a bad team culture
-Crawford likes him.
Cons are:
-probably an assh@le teammate. Arrogant, Ron artest kinda player.
-streaky and can take bad shots
-not elite playmaker
Is it possible that this teams needs an Artest kinda guy? :lol:
Well when your attitude matches your performance and competency it’s fine. Rivers turns off other players acting how he does when he’s not all that. I feel better about Rivers defense, ball handling, and moves in the lane. He’s not gonna brick open shots either - at least once Booker is back. Booker needs players who are gonna over compensate for his lack of defense and someone to keeps their own man honest. If he he can do what he did for LA then I think we will have a decent year until we get to the free agency.
Talent-wise the suns won this trade. I’m also hoping this paves the way for Bridges to start with Booker.

carey

Post by carey »

Rivers was a garbage personality & locker room presence in New Orleans. He needed to be humbled in the worst way. Going to the Clippers to play for dad was not it. Maybe going to the Wiz & being trash has helped some but I doubt it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:10 pm
I don't think Oubre's part of any future plans. I'd take Jackson over him every time.
Oubre is less athletic than Jackson but much more consistent. He's more athletic than TJ but can't score like he can. I think he's even less suited to play PF than Ariza was though so we still don't have anyone capable to gobble up minutes there.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!