Suns News: Week 10 12/17-12/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Xylus

Re: Suns News: Week 10 12/17-12/23

Post by Xylus »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 am
How do people find this stuff?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m pretty sure Rivers was simply a salary match. We waived him before he ever showed up, we clearly didn’t care about him being on the team.

SDC

Post by SDC »

http://bkref.com/tiny/iN474

luka is now #3 in win shares among rookies, but nobody among the freshmen class will catch up to the current #1

Cap

Post by Cap »

n4th4n wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 pm
Seems bad 8-)
Advanced Metrics Suggest That Wizards Made the Right Move in Trading Away Kelly Oubre Jr.: https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/spo ... y-oubre-jr

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://theathletic.com/721064/2018/12/ ... with-suns/
NEW​ YORK —​ Josh​ Jackson​ buried​ the​ right-wing 3-pointer after receiving the​ pass.​ But​ the​ message​ Jamal Crawford​ delivered​ to Jackson​​ before the ball is what resonated.

“(Crawford) told me, literally, where to stand, where to be and what was gonna happen,” Jackson said. “And it happened.”

Crawford is still setting personal bests in his 19th NBA season. And after a career primarily built on a wicked crossover and putting the ball in the basket, it’s fitting Monday’s mark perfectly symbolized Crawford’s on- and off-the-court role with this young Suns team.

His 14 assists broke his previous career-high of 12, most recently achieved in 2005 inside this same iconic building. They spearheaded Phoenix’s 128-110 victory over the Knicks, clinching the franchise’s first three-game winning since early March 2017.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:41 am
Advanced Metrics Suggest That Wizards Made the Right Move in Trading Away Kelly Oubre Jr.: https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/spo ... y-oubre-jr
I just don't see what Oubre brings to this team. I liked Ariza's game better. Ariza could hit 3s and play defense. And he was an old veteran so he wasn't gunning for a contract or trying to play 30+ minutes. Oubre is going to be playing for himself. And he's not as good a shooter as Ariza. Plus we have like ten wings already. What is the point?

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:28 am

I just don't see what Oubre brings to this team. I liked Ariza's game better. Ariza could hit 3s and play defense. And he was an old veteran so he wasn't gunning for a contract or trying to play 30+ minutes. Oubre is going to be playing for himself. And he's not as good a shooter as Ariza. Plus we have like ten wings already. What is the point?
But he wasn't doing that. Maybe once every handful of games? You can't ignore that he was unhappy & checked out.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Cap wrote:
Yeah, I agree. Ariza had checked out. But I do like the potential of Oubre more. And I'm not sure if I've seen any indication that he's playing for himself this year. He seemed to be playing within the Wizards concept, which isn't saying much. But he doesn't seem like a "me first" kind of guy in what I've seen of him.

He's got lots of potential, and we get a chance to evaluate it a bit. I think he fits in better with what we're trying to do than Ariza, even if he doesn't fill a need. Worst case, he's gone in the offseason, same as Ariza would have surely been. Best case, he looks like another piece to build with and we can match any offer he gets this offseason.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Cap wrote:
Oubre kinda does the same things. You’re right he’s not as good a shooter as Ariza, but he’s a better athlete and better equipped to defend small, quick guards. Plus Ariza only showed up 1/3 games. Oubre will show up

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Cap wrote:
Yuck Mori. How can you be a fan of Ariza and what he brought to our team? The guy has been a net negative, regardless of his statistical prowess. Do you think he's been a positive veteran presence among our young players? Is he making his teammates better?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Oubre's potential doesn't matter if we can't solve the logjam at SF. New face but same old issue. One forward needs to go.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Xylus wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 am
How do people find this stuff?
I think it's like memes, you save it to use it someday!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Yuck Mori. How can you be a fan of Ariza and what he brought to our team? The guy has been a net negative, regardless of his statistical prowess. Do you think he's been a positive veteran presence among our young players? Is he making his teammates better?
I wasn't a huge Ariza fan. But he seemed to have some value around the league. And I thought he brought better 3-and-D than Oubre will. We'll have to wait and see.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/12/19 ... ttery-team

Do the Suns look like a team on the verge of breaking through?
Sorry, Phoenix. The rebuild isn’t over yet.
Rebuilding teams always seem to think they can decide when the rebuild is over and the rise begins. They set ambitious preseason targets, sometimes hire new coaches, often sign or trade for a veteran or two to grease the skids. They then often find out that their rebuilding process is still in process. And while they were spending time, energy, and assets to transition out of the rebuild, they could and should have still been investing in that foundation instead.

It’s always tough to be awful in the NBA. It’s worse when you let yourself believe the lean days were over only to realize the famine’s still on.

Such are the Phoenix Suns, who carry the marks of a franchise that thought it had reached springtime only to get frostbite once again this winter. Phoenix has shockingly won three straight games, yet still remains on pace for its worst season since the year the Suns entered the league (1969). The Suns were a league-worst 21-61 last season. Phoenix is on pace for a 19-63 campaign.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Rebuilding teams always seem to think they can decide when the rebuild is over and the rise begins. They set ambitious preseason targets, sometimes hire new coaches, often sign or trade for a veteran or two to grease the skids. They then often find out that their rebuilding process is still in process. And while they were spending time, energy, and assets to transition out of the rebuild, they could and should have still been investing in that foundation instead.

It’s always tough to be awful in the NBA. It’s worse when you let yourself believe the lean days were over only to realize the famine’s still on.

Such are the Phoenix Suns, who carry the marks of a franchise that thought it had reached springtime only to get frostbite once again this winter. Phoenix has shockingly won three straight games, yet still remains on pace for its worst season since the year the Suns entered the league (1969). The Suns were a league-worst 21-61 last season. Phoenix is on pace for a 19-63 campaign.
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but from watching them closely from the beginning of the year, it's pretty clear that they are making strides and have improved. I realize that they are on pace for 19-63, but this team right now is trending at a much higher clip lately. What's it's projected record if they return off this trip with a 7 game win streak or 3 of the next 4 games?

I guess if the perception is going to turn around, they will have to go on a double digit win streak here soon to get the "talking heads" to raise an eyebrow and sit up to pay attention.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:28 pm
Superbone wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but from watching them closely from the beginning of the year, it's pretty clear that they are making strides and have improved. I realize that they are on pace for 19-63, but this team right now is trending at a much higher clip lately. What's it's projected record if they return off this trip with a 7 game win streak or 3 of the next 4 games?

I guess if the perception is going to turn around, they will have to go on a double digit win streak here soon to get the "talking heads" to raise an eyebrow and sit up to pay attention.
I don't agree with most of it either except for the premise that you don't get to decide when the rebuild is over. None of our guys are in their prime. It's going to be a couple years.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I don't agree with most of it either except for the premise that you don't get to decide when the rebuild is over. None of our guys are in their prime. It's going to be a couple years.
Yeah, when they have most of the "core" over 23 yrs old, then they can say that the rebuild is over. Right now, probably at least a year away. It's awfully nice to see them playing better though as it builds a little bit of hope.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Yeah, when they have most of the "core" over 23 yrs old, then they can say that the rebuild is over. Right now, probably at least a year away. It's awfully nice to see them playing better though as it builds a little bit of hope.
For sure! It's been a ray of sunshine in a dour season.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I know there's literally nobody on here who will be surprised by this breakdown smh lol

https://twitter.com/Ethan_Norof/status/1075585436079185920

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wiggins is bad...I can not believe minny ever game him that extension.