Suns News: Weeks 11 & 12 - 12/24-1/6

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
carey
Posts: 10236
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Suns News: Weeks 11 & 12 - 12/24-1/6

Post by carey » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Merry Christmas all! One more game on this road trip.

Last Week's Games

@ New York WIN 128-110
@ Boston WIN 111-103
@ Washington LOSS 149-146
@ Brooklyn LOSS 111-103

This Week's Games

Wednesday, December 26th @ Orlando 7:00 PM EST
Friday, December 28th vs. Oklahoma City 9:00 PM EST
Saturday, December 29th vs. Denver 9:00 PM EST


Suns Stories

Ayton is growing up right before our eyes - https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... oenix-suns

Center of the Sun: Suns win 2 of 4 on the road - https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... -road-wins

When Deandre Ayton brings energy for the Suns he can be a special talent, maybe even ROY - https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 406124002/

Suns visit Magic coming off back-to-back losses - https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 409269002/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by SDC » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:34 pm

just in case


Singh
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Singh » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... s-Smith-Jr

Hypothetically? Jj or Troy straight up. Advantages disadvantages? Underperforming pg who is marginalized for veteran or raw second year.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 8929
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:08 am

Singh wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 am
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... s-Smith-Jr

Hypothetically? Jj or Troy straight up. Advantages disadvantages? Underperforming pg who is marginalized for veteran or raw second year.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think they'd want more than that, maybe at least a pick. JJ is having such a dreadful year that I think our current FO wouldn't be able to get Dallas to agree to a straight swap.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10236
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by carey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm

90 minutes 'til game time. Where da thread at? Carey don't do no game threads. Too much wit da bad juju.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by bajanguy008 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:26 pm

carey wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm
90 minutes 'til game time. Where da thread at? Carey don't do no game threads. Too much wit da bad juju.
:lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
Xylus
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Xylus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm

Buckle up for this 7-game home stand:

OKC
Denver
Golden State
Philadelphia
LA Clips
Charlotte
Sacramento

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 8929
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 am

Xylus wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Buckle up for this 7-game home stand:

OKC
Denver
Golden State
Philadelphia
LA Clips
Charlotte
Sacramento
Oof, we probably lose 5 or 6 of those games.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3274
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Shabazz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:28 am

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 am
Xylus wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Buckle up for this 7-game home stand:

OKC
Denver
Golden State
Philadelphia
LA Clips
Charlotte
Sacramento
Oof, we probably lose 5 or 6 of those games.
That was the old Phoenix Suns. This version only loses 4 of them.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 13432
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Superbone » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:30 am

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:26 pm
carey wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm
90 minutes 'til game time. Where da thread at? Carey don't do no game threads. Too much wit da bad juju.
:lol:
Sorry, guys. Been out on the road for the holiday stuff. Back now. Thanks for the assist BG8.
O_Gardino: "Ntilikina is going to lead the NBA in assists once he gets going[2025]..."

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by SDC » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:26 am

i wonder if zone defense works against OKC.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by In2ition » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:15 am

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 am
Xylus wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Buckle up for this 7-game home stand:

OKC
Denver
Golden State
Philadelphia
LA Clips
Charlotte
Sacramento
Oof, we probably lose 5 or 6 of those games.
Idk what their record is going to be on these next 7 games, but I'm not dreading it. I think this team is a little better than the first time(s) they played these teams. I'm looking forward to seeing how "this" version of Suns does.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

User avatar
Xylus
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Xylus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 am

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:15 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 am
Xylus wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Buckle up for this 7-game home stand:

OKC
Denver
Golden State
Philadelphia
LA Clips
Charlotte
Sacramento
Oof, we probably lose 5 or 6 of those games.
Idk what their record is going to be on these next 7 games, but I'm not dreading it. I think this team is a little better than the first time(s) they played these teams. I'm looking forward to seeing how "this" version of Suns does.
The timing couldn't be better for us. The team's playing at this season's peak with all players healthy, all games at home. We should definitely steal some of these.

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by bajanguy008 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:06 am

I honestly have taken the mindset this season that I will be glad if we improve and pick up some wins. Even last couple weeks I promised not get too excited over these wins until we get "the PF and PG" to have a more complete team with less flaws. the whole Tempering Expectations thing lol
I mention this cause I see the PF and TJ discussion going on again in the Game Day thread so I decided to peep other rosters and there really are less traditional PFs than I thought

Draymond
Millsap / Juancho
Jerami Grant
Kuzma
Tobias / Gallo
Aminu
PJ
Rudy Gay
Bjelica
JJJ
Favors
Harry B
Nikola / Randle

Green , Millsap (getting older) and Randle bring the toughness and rebounding associated with PFs while Favors still is doing ok at Rebs/Blks while JJJ has the potential to be elite at those but maybe a future Center ?. Everyone else is basically SFs though and out East it is only Blake while the Contenders feature the rarity known as Giannis then likes of Siakam, M**** , Wil Chandler, Thad Young and so on

Like I said, when writing/typing it out our situation at "PF" although not ideal maybe isn't that dire and certainly the need for a play making guard is definitely a much bigger issue going forward. Sorry for the long post :oops:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 1940
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by AmareIsGod » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:11 am

Just to compare last season to this season.

Code: Select all

                                                                                                                                      
Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos   G  GS   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  3P 3PA  3P%  2P  2PA  2P% eFG%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
2017-18    21 PHO NBA  SG  54  54 34.5 8.4 19.5 .432 2.7 7.1 .383 5.7 12.4 .460 .501 5.4 6.1 .878 0.5 4.0 4.5 4.7 0.9 0.3 3.6 3.1 24.9
2018-19    22 PHO NBA  SG  25  25 36.2 9.0 20.2 .448 2.4 7.6 .323 6.6 12.6 .524 .509 4.7 5.6 .849 0.6 3.4 4.0 7.0 1.1 0.2 4.0 3.4 25.2
Career                NBA 233 208 32.7 7.1 16.5 .429 1.9 5.4 .358 5.2 11.1 .463 .488 4.2 5.0 .849 0.5 2.9 3.3 3.8 0.8 0.3 3.0 3.1 20.4
Note that his scoring has gone up, his 2 pt % has gone up, 3 pt % has dropped while his assists have jumped a ton and he's now averaging over a steal per game.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by bajanguy008 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:27 am

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:11 am
Just to compare last season to this season.

Code: Select all

                                                                                                                                      
Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos   G  GS   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  3P 3PA  3P%  2P  2PA  2P% eFG%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
2017-18    21 PHO NBA  SG  54  54 34.5 8.4 19.5 .432 2.7 7.1 .383 5.7 12.4 .460 .501 5.4 6.1 .878 0.5 4.0 4.5 4.7 0.9 0.3 3.6 3.1 24.9
2018-19    22 PHO NBA  SG  25  25 36.2 9.0 20.2 .448 2.4 7.6 .323 6.6 12.6 .524 .509 4.7 5.6 .849 0.6 3.4 4.0 7.0 1.1 0.2 4.0 3.4 25.2
Career                NBA 233 208 32.7 7.1 16.5 .429 1.9 5.4 .358 5.2 11.1 .463 .488 4.2 5.0 .849 0.5 2.9 3.3 3.8 0.8 0.3 3.0 3.1 20.4
Note that his scoring has gone up, his 2 pt % has gone up, 3 pt % has dropped while his assists have jumped a ton and he's now averaging over a steal per game.
yea Book is on a nice stretch right now too

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1078126215138078720


still thinks he gets a lil tunnel vision at times and the one hand left hand passes are probably half his turnovers but I think his effort on D getting better and improvements are there to see stat wise. the fact is I sometimes forget he is just 22 so... 8-) 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 5968
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Split T » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:55 am

I think the 3’s will start falling...He won’t make the all star team because our record is bad, but someday we’ll look back and wonder why a guy that put up 26-7-4 didn’t make the all star team. I imagine his shooting will come around and he’ll put up at least 45/35/85 shooting splits too.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7643
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Indy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:13 am

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:06 am
I honestly have taken the mindset this season that I will be glad if we improve and pick up some wins. Even last couple weeks I promised not get too excited over these wins until we get "the PF and PG" to have a more complete team with less flaws. the whole Tempering Expectations thing lol
I mention this cause I see the PF and TJ discussion going on again in the Game Day thread so I decided to peep other rosters and there really are less traditional PFs than I thought

Draymond
Millsap / Juancho
Jerami Grant
Kuzma
Tobias / Gallo
Aminu
PJ
Rudy Gay
Bjelica
JJJ
Favors
Harry B
Nikola / Randle

Green , Millsap (getting older) and Randle bring the toughness and rebounding associated with PFs while Favors still is doing ok at Rebs/Blks while JJJ has the potential to be elite at those but maybe a future Center ?. Everyone else is basically SFs though and out East it is only Blake while the Contenders feature the rarity known as Giannis then likes of Siakam, M**** , Wil Chandler, Thad Young and so on

Like I said, when writing/typing it out our situation at "PF" although not ideal maybe isn't that dire and certainly the need for a play making guard is definitely a much bigger issue going forward. Sorry for the long post :oops:
Good post.

Right now, driving players that get by their man on the perimeter only have one decision to make in order to score points.
1) Did Ayton stay with his man? Get an easy layup.
2) If he left, nobody will switch over in time so his man is wide open for a drop off.

If we can make him think just a little bit, we have a much better chance of not getting scored on 75% of the time in this situation.

If our lineup allows us to switch long, strong guys that can cover 4s/5s from the 3/4, we should be good enough to make them think.

And if Ayton can play defense like he did late last night, even after being ignored on offense most of the game, all bets are off. That was so great to see.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7643
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Indy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:22 am

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:55 am
I think the 3’s will start falling...He won’t make the all star team because our record is bad, but someday we’ll look back and wonder why a guy that put up 26-7-4 didn’t make the all star team. I imagine his shooting will come around and he’ll put up at least 45/35/85 shooting splits too.
I think if he stays Point Book, his 3 won't be falling much more than it already has. Too much close quarters/bumping going on for him to get if off cleanly on a regular basis. But if we can find a way to actually get the ball into Ayton a lot more efficiently, I would expect it to approach 40.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 13432
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 11 12/24-12/30

Post by Superbone » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:47 am

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:15 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 am
Xylus wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Buckle up for this 7-game home stand:

OKC
Denver
Golden State
Philadelphia
LA Clips
Charlotte
Sacramento
Oof, we probably lose 5 or 6 of those games.
Idk what their record is going to be on these next 7 games, but I'm not dreading it. I think this team is a little better than the first time(s) they played these teams. I'm looking forward to seeing how "this" version of Suns does.
As long as this version of the Suns continues to play like they have, I won't have a problem with the outcomes.
O_Gardino: "Ntilikina is going to lead the NBA in assists once he gets going[2025]..."

Post Reply