Around the League: Week 14 1/14-1/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Around the League: Week 14 1/14-1/20

Post by Cap »

I really don’t want Sarver and Jones trying to get clever. I can’t imagine those two making a big trade we don’t end up regretting. Just draft and hope for the best.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm
I think I’d do it if they took Anderson...otherwise I’d pass. I too would even include our pick...protected of course. I wouldn’t move that pick without top 1 protection for anyone but Giannis. For Conley I’d protect it as much as I could, but top 4 makes sense.
i don't think they'd trade us Giannis for Booker, Ayton and our unprotected #1.

Split T

Post by Split T »

MightyMoog wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm
I think I’d do it if they took Anderson...otherwise I’d pass. I too would even include our pick...protected of course. I wouldn’t move that pick without top 1 protection for anyone but Giannis. For Conley I’d protect it as much as I could, but top 4 makes sense.
i don't think they'd trade us Giannis for Booker, Ayton and our unprotected #1.
I know they wouldn’t, I’m just talking from our perspective here. I’m just not trading Zion for anyone not named Giannis.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

There is zero chance Conley signs off on a trade to this shit show. None. He will go to a team of his approval because that's what decent franchises do for their long time players in this situation.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They aren't going to trade Conley unless you give them back a really good asset. Ryan Anderson and TJ Warren wouldn't cut it. They would need our 1st rounder unprotected I think.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 am
They aren't going to trade Conley unless you give them back a really good asset. Ryan Anderson and TJ Warren wouldn't cut it. They would need our 1st rounder unprotected I think.
They are not going to get good players for a PG that is over 30 and have 100M committed to him. They are signaling they want draft picks.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:16 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 am
They are not going to get good players for a PG that is over 30 and have 100M committed to him. They are signaling they want draft picks.
And they would love to be out from under their big contractual obligations (Conley - $66 million, Gasol - $25 million, Parsons - $25 million). Now would be a nice time to have Tyson Chandler's contract as an expiring deal in the event that the Suns were interested for trading for a veteran.

But no, Jones didn't see any reason to hang onto him - they didn't create any cap space, they didn't get any assets in return, nuthin'. They just wrote him a fat check so he could go play for the Lakers.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Gerald Bourguet of HoopsHabit weighs in on whether the Suns should pursue Conley:

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/23/phoen ... ke-conley/

Split T

Post by Split T »

I do think it’s unlikely Memphis would send Conley to us without making sure Conley was ok with it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 am
Gerald Bourguet of HoopsHabit weighs in on whether the Suns should pursue Conley:

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/23/phoen ... ke-conley/
Makes a good point that they don’t actually need expiring contracts. They are on the hook for parsons contract next year and need to be bad next year to keep their pick(top 6 protected) so they won’t care about cap space this summer. Means Ryan Anderson would be a reasonable salary filler.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Valley of the Suns argues it is time for the Suns to trade for Mike Conley:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/01/23/ ... ke-conley/

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

I'm more than OK with Conley. I starve for true PG since Dragic left us all alone.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would be just fine (ecstatic) with Mike Conley, assuming that we don't give up too many assets to get him. He's on the list of solid PGs who would really help this team, along with guys like Ricky Rubio, TJ McConnell, Jrue Holiday, etc. I am not concerned about his age or salary; in the current NBA salary structure, and given the lack of big contracts on our roster right now, we can easily afford him. And he's got several good NBA years left and hasn't shown signs of being washed up at all.

The big question is whether we'd give up this year's first-rounder for him. I think they'd insist on that. That's a tough pill to swallow, but I think I would do it. You have to give something to get something, and our own first-rounder would be the asset necessary to get Memphis to move Conley. And while that pick has a lot of value, the only way I think I'd truly regret giving it up would be if we got #1 and missed Zion. But I think if we get Conley, he'll help us get enough wins that we'll push up out of bottom lottery area and would become extremely unlikely to get #1 anyway. I think the risk/reward would be worth it.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would protect it top 3.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Let's make it top 2 and call it a day.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I don't do it without top 2 or 3 protection.
"Be Legendary."

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am
I would be just fine (ecstatic) with Mike Conley, assuming that we don't give up too many assets to get him. He's on the list of solid PGs who would really help this team, along with guys like Ricky Rubio, TJ McConnell, Jrue Holiday, etc. I am not concerned about his age or salary; in the current NBA salary structure, and given the lack of big contracts on our roster right now, we can easily afford him. And he's got several good NBA years left and hasn't shown signs of being washed up at all.

The big question is whether we'd give up this year's first-rounder for him. I think they'd insist on that. That's a tough pill to swallow, but I think I would do it. You have to give something to get something, and our own first-rounder would be the asset necessary to get Memphis to move Conley. And while that pick has a lot of value, the only way I think I'd truly regret giving it up would be if we got #1 and missed Zion. But I think if we get Conley, he'll help us get enough wins that we'll push up out of bottom lottery area and would become extremely unlikely to get #1 anyway. I think the risk/reward would be worth it.
I really like Conley, and he would help the team a ton, but I don't want to give up our pick this year to do it. I think Ja Morant could be the point we need, and I think he's ours if we want him.

I like Zion a lot, but if we were to land the #1 pick, I'd would think very hard about trading it for the #2 or #3 pick to pick up Morant plus more.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You’re crazy. Zion is far and away the best prospect in this draft IMO

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I don't think I'm moving Zion for anyone other than Giannis or AD.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Democritus wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am
Let's make it top 2 and call it a day.
I’m okay with that. I really only want Zion or Morant. Otherwise I’d trade the pick anyway.