Around the League: Week 14 1/14-1/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wormwood

Re: Around the League: Week 14 1/14-1/20

Post by Wormwood »

I'm watching this ****stain of a season where we have no defense and no rebounding and an endless series of 10-day contracts for players who should never set foot on an NBA court thinking we had a PF/C who would give you a double double almost every night he played 25+ minutes, played solid interior defense, is still a fan favorite, and is available now, and wondering whose front office cheerios he pissed in that we won't bring him back.

Big Sauce was VERY good here, and he's in his prime. WTF?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wormwood wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:28 am
I'm watching this ****stain of a season where we have no defense and no rebounding and an endless series of 10-day contracts for players who should never set foot on an NBA court thinking we had a PF/C who would give you a double double almost every night he played 25+ minutes, played solid interior defense, is still a fan favorite, and is available now, and wondering whose front office cheerios he pissed in that we won't bring him back.

Big Sauce was VERY good here, and he's in his prime. WTF?
I am starting to think that our front office and ownership may not totally know what they are doing.

TOO

Post by TOO »

The same Alan Williams who gets zero minutes on the Nets? The dude would play if ya know, he was really worth playing. I dont care what sort of numbers he puts up in garbage time on a team full of non NBA level talent, there's a reason he doesnt get big minutes anywhere.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Tyler Kolek.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

DJJ might have just torn his knee...no word yet.

https://twitter.com/WillManso/status/1089693127143755777

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:40 pm
DJJ might have just torn his knee...no word yet.

https://twitter.com/WillManso/status/1089693127143755777

Fuck man.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Luka is so freaking good. The Bird comps weren't outrageous after all.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:16 pm
Luka is so freaking good. The Bird comps weren't outrageous after all.
Super glad we drafted a C. :cry:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:41 pm
The same Alan Williams who gets zero minutes on the Nets? The dude would play if ya know, he was really worth playing. I dont care what sort of numbers he puts up in garbage time on a team full of non NBA level talent, there's a reason he doesnt get big minutes anywhere.
I get the logic of, "If this player were good, he'd get minutes on ___ (team)." But I don't think that is always right. Every team and situation and fit is different. The Nets are a better team than we are, and they want to preserve their playoff position. So they may not be as interested in working in a young center like Sauce. Also every coach is different, and maybe the coach of the Nets just doesn't see or appreciate Williams's talent. So I don't think his lack of playing time is proof that he's no good. I do concede that it implies that he isn't showing them much they like so far.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:06 pm
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:41 pm
I get the logic of, "If this player were good, he'd get minutes on ___ (team)." But I don't think that is always right. Every team and situation and fit is different. The Nets are a better team than we are, and they want to preserve their playoff position. So they may not be as interested in working in a young center like Sauce. Also every coach is different, and maybe the coach of the Nets just doesn't see or appreciate Williams's talent. So I don't think his lack of playing time is proof that he's no good. I do concede that it implies that he isn't showing them much they like so far.
I think its more that he's an undersized dinosaur in todays game. Basically a paint clogger, get you some boards and easy points inside if the matchup permits, but he's not gonna sway the game one way or another.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Regarding Luka's triple double tonight...make of it what you will.

https://twitter.com/Tjonesonthenba/status/1089730085907779586

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

(sighhhh)

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 pm
(sighhhh)
Its all you can do.

I try to not think about it too much, I hope Ayton is awesome, but sometimes I just get sad because we needed ball handler to help take the pressure off Booker and we passed on him for a big guy who doesnt defend.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ayton is a mental and physical pussy.

Booker has a shit attitude and offers no intangibles.

Our management is incapable of fixing either of their flaws. Our management is also not capable of bringing in any talent worth a damn or being proactive on the market.

Our coach pulls all the wrong strings.

Our owner is one of the worst.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:42 pm
Ayton is a mental and physical p****.

Booker has a s*** attitude and offers no intangibles.

Our management is incapable of fixing either of their flaws. Our management is also not capable of bringing in any talent worth a damn or being proactive on the market.

Our coach pulls all the wrong strings.

Our owner is one of the worst.
WE ARE PEE.AITCH.EX!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

But let's all remember the pearls of wisdom Charles Barkley shared with us: the fact Doncic was the MVP of Euroleague as a teenager proved the league isn't that good and that he isn't that special.

Also remember since he has been playing at a professional level longer, he won't get any better.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:15 pm
But let's all remember the pearls of wisdom Charles Barkley shared with us: the fact Doncic was the MVP of Euroleague as a teenager proved the league isn't that good and that he isn't that special.

Also remember since he has been playing at a professional level longer, he won't get any better.
And Bickley wrote an editorial that Sarver should hire Barkley as the GM...LOL

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:15 pm

Was tooting Doncic's horn at work so much before the draft that my coworkers (Suns fans) were getting annoyed with me. Hate to say it but it's looking more and more like I was right.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

As good as Doncic is, I don't think picking Ayton over him is going to doom the franchise. Ayton can be a foundation piece for a winning team. But what is so disappointing about him is that all the "I'm #1 pick" bravado before the draft hasn't translated to his approach on the court. He is perfectly content to be a wallflower and just wait for dunks,layups, and putbacks on the offensive end, and cares little about his man on the other end of the court going for career highs. He pretty much has the exact opposite mentality you want from a #1 pick.

After all of this is shocking after the raving reviews of his 1-on-0 draft workout.

“Just had a phenomenal 1-on-0 workout,” Suns general manager Ryan McDonough said.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

At least the "Ayton vs Doncic" thing seems to have displaced the "should we have re-signed Joe Johnson" talk.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 am
As good as Doncic is, I don't think picking Ayton over him is going to doom the franchise. Ayton can be a foundation piece for a winning team. But what is so disappointing about him is that all the "I'm #1 pick" bravado before the draft hasn't translated to his approach on the court. He is perfectly content to be a wallflower and just wait for dunks,layups, and putbacks on the offensive end, and cares little about his man on the other end of the court going for career highs. He pretty much has the exact opposite mentality you want from a #1 pick.
I agree with all of this. He wanted to be #1 but he doesn't have the attitude of a #1 when he gets on the court. As he said, he's a rhythm player. He wants the game to come to him.

Uh, no. That's not how a dominant player works. Watch Embiid, son. That's the kind of attitude and play we expect. Ayton has all the athleticism and skills in the world but I'm afraid he doesn't have that alpha mentality. Doncic does.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."