Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Post by Split T »

Brogdon would be nice, but I think the chances are very low Milwaukee doesn’t match.

I’m pretty meh on Rubio. He provides defense and playmaking, but that shot is a killer.

I don’t know if Rozier is just unhappy, I think he’s easily gettable, but he’s not playing well.

Rose is kinda interesting, his numbers are pretty close to his mvp numbers if you adjust for minutes. I haven’t watched him enough to see how he looks on the court though. Still, I tend to want to pass on him, that might be just remembering the Rose of the last few years.

I think tyus Jones could be gettable, especially if minny keeps rose. I’d be willing to pursue that.

I think I could get behind a DeAngelo Russell signing too. I was a huge fan predraft and after some shaky moments, he seems to be rounding into shape. Give him a big offer and I think Brooklyn might pass, they have ideas for big things this summer and they already locked dinwiddie down.

Ja Morant is intriguing too. I’ve mostly focused on 4’s for the draft. I think it’s rare to see a pg succeed as a rookie and Morant might fit better off the bench anyways. I like Melton next to booker more than Morant next to him. Would probably spell the end for okobo here.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:55 am
Brogdon would be nice, but I think the chances are very low Milwaukee doesn’t match.

I’m pretty meh on Rubio. He provides defense and playmaking, but that shot is a killer.

I don’t know if Rozier is just unhappy, I think he’s easily gettable, but he’s not playing well.

Rose is kinda interesting, his numbers are pretty close to his mvp numbers if you adjust for minutes. I haven’t watched him enough to see how he looks on the court though. Still, I tend to want to pass on him, that might be just remembering the Rose of the last few years.

I think tyus Jones could be gettable, especially if minny keeps rose. I’d be willing to pursue that.

I think I could get behind a DeAngelo Russell signing too. I was a huge fan predraft and after some shaky moments, he seems to be rounding into shape. Give him a big offer and I think Brooklyn might pass, they have ideas for big things this summer and they already locked dinwiddie down.

Ja Morant is intriguing too. I’ve mostly focused on 4’s for the draft. I think it’s rare to see a pg succeed as a rookie and Morant might fit better off the bench anyways. I like Melton next to booker more than Morant next to him. Would probably spell the end for okobo here.
I agree with all of this. I've always liked Russell. He still hasn't totally figured it out and I don't know if pairing him with Book is tenable defensively.

I also really like Morant, but if he's our starting PG next season we're in the lottery again.

All reasons we should try and address the need by trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Russell-Booker could be an issue defensively, which is why having Melton is nice. Could make sure to stagger our rotations so Russell and booker start and finish the game together, but otherwise have them split. Which also has the benefit of keeping a solid primary initiator on the court always.

Ya Ja looks real good, but he’ll struggle a lot as a rookie. From James Jones comments, we’re not bringing in a rookie pg. I’m actually kinda expecting us to trade our pick.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:55 am

Rubio is shooting better than Booker right now. He is not a better shooter, of course, but Rubio is not has bad as he once was.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Assuming you just mean from 3, since Book has been so awful this year. But overall, they still are not close. eFG is 51 to 46 this season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Booker hasn’t shot well from 3 this year, so that’s not saying much. Rubio is at 33% and is assisted on over 80% of his attempts. He’s hitting corner 3’s at 40%, so that’s nice. He’s a bigger threat than Melton, but you can still go under on every pick n roll with him and teams will still leave him to help on booker without thinking twice.

Rubio is like Melton without as much defensive potential, but better playmaking. I think we need a pg that can shoulder some of the playmaking and scoring load we place on booker. Rubio doesn’t help with the scoring load.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 pm
Assuming you just mean from 3, since Book has been so awful this year. But overall, they still are not close. eFG is 51 to 46 this season.
Yes. From three. This year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Based on the offense I've seen so far this year, we need a combo guard who can be a playmaker and shoot. That sounds obvious but I think a guy in the mold of D'Angelo Russell or Brogdon would fit. A bigger combo to pair with Book, keep the offense flowing, switch on D and still knock down shots or create offense. We may not need/want a traditional 6-1 PG to dribble around setting everyone up.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Brogdon would be main target. I am starying to talk myself into a max offer. If they match, so be it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If Goran declines his player option, we could have IT, Bledsoe, and Goran all on the market this summer. :lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:59 pm
Brogdon would be main target. I am starying to talk myself into a max offer. If they match, so be it.
What is a max contract for him?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Same as booker got, minus year 5. Raises each year might be slightly decreased, but something like 4/110 I’d guess

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:52 pm
Same as booker got, minus year 5. Raises each year might be slightly decreased, but something like 4/110 I’d guess
I thought it was different since he was a 2nd rounder... but I am not good on the cap rules.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm
If Goran declines his player option, we could have IT, Bledsoe, and Goran all on the market this summer. :lol:
So...should we sign all three? :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm
So...should we sign all three? :P
OF COURSE! But we have to promise each of them they will be the lead guard with the ball in their hands.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

A max for Brogdon is insane. Madness.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:50 pm
A max for Brogdon is insane. Madness.
Agreed. I like Brogdan, but not close to that much.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I thought we were talking about 12M a year or something. I am so uninformed on the cap/what max means for different players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Also, didn't I read that you can't give out two designated max contracts?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You can't trade for two max contract players - that's what would prevent Boston from trading for Anthony Davis after trading for Kyrie Irving.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695