Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:45 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 pm
Honest question: what does Elie do better than DSJ? Keep in mind DSJ is also younger than Elie.

I get not wanting to move Melton, but Okobo presents the same fit issues with Booker that DSJ does, just with less talent.
You always put too much emphasis on age, 'bazz. DSJ has significantly more experience than Okobo.

And Okobo will be a shooter when it is all said and done, and I think he has more potential as a point guard. He is just very raw.
I know I like to put emphasis on age, but in this case I'm not. I think last year DSJ showed at least as much as a shooter as Okobo has in his rookie season, but in also showed more playmaking and defensive ability and he's a significantly better athlete. I like Okobo, I just don't think he's in DSJ's tier as a prospect.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

DSJ is not the kind of PG we need. They are looking to move him because he doesn't fit with Doncic and he'd mostly have the same problem here with Booker. Pass.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I agree that DSJ isn’t a great fit, but he’s still a pretty valuable asset as a starting level PG with two years left on a rookie contract.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

But we’d have to move assets to get him. Even if you think DSJ is more valuable than okobo+mil pick, if he’s a bad fit, you’re risking bad chemistry and bad on court play for a better asset. It could be like signing IT all over again. We got him on a great contract as an easy asset to trade, but that signing did more damage than the return we got back by trading him. I think trading for DSJ could be similar.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 am
But we’d have to move assets to get him. Even if you think DSJ is more valuable than okobo+mil pick, if he’s a bad fit, you’re risking bad chemistry and bad on court play for a better asset. It could be like signing IT all over again. We got him on a great contract as an easy asset to trade, but that signing did more damage than the return we got back by trading him. I think trading for DSJ could be similar.
Yeah, but that was due to poor personnel management by Ryan. Now that he is gone, we have an experienced FO staff that... oh wait.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was just looking at Smith's stats again. He gets more assists than I thought/feared, and his 3pt% is passable at .375, but his FT% is worse than I thought, at .681. He scores 12.6 ppg in 27.7 mpg. He's probably better than any of our current PGs as an asset. Not sure if he really fits here. I do think he has much more perceived value around the league than, say, Okobo. I would probably do Okobo plus a not-very-good future pick for him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... hde03.html

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 am
I was just looking at Smith's stats again. He gets more assists than I thought/feared, and his 3pt% is passable at .375, but his FT% is worse than I thought, at .681. He scores 12.6 ppg in 27.7 mpg. He's probably better than any of our current PGs as an asset. Not sure if he really fits here. I do think he has much more perceived value around the league than, say, Okobo. I would probably do Okobo plus a not-very-good future pick for him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... hde03.html
I think DSJr is much better than many here say. Just like when other fans around the league look at Booker and call him just a chucker, He has a great handle, his defense is OK, he has some great passing skills, he shoots Ok (his three point percentage is better than Book). His health is a concern. He has missed a lot of games in two years. If he is coachable, he would be a great pick up.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We aren’t getting our PG of the future this year. We knew this before the season started. We might toy with a few people who aren’t the guy this season but, we aren’t getting “The Guy” until next season. Management has already said so. In my conversation with James Jones last Friday has said the same thing.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 pm
We aren’t getting our PG of the future this year. We knew this before the season started. We might toy with a few people who aren’t the guy this season but, we aren’t getting “The Guy” until next season. Management has already said so. In my conversation with James Jones last Friday has said the same thing.
It would be pretty dumb for the team to hold firm on that stance. You never know what opportunities will present themselves.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I’m not convinced we’re ever getting “The Guy” through any means other than a trade. (Not suggesting DSJ as an answer)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm
I’m not convinced we’re ever getting “The Guy” through any means other than a trade. (Not suggesting DSJ as an answer)
Agreed. Once the Suns are good enough to get "The Guy" in FA, they won't have the cap space to lure him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

I like DSJ. That is all.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You can’t get blood from a turnip. Making a bunch of crappy trades that don’t yield “The Guy” and leave us broke with a bunch of “non guys” is worse than standing pat and paying the “guy next” year. Management already announced that they were looking to next years free agency to get “The Guy” before this season started. I admit I am not sure which guys are up for grabs next year but, the Suns seem convinced that’s what will happen. If you take them at their word then we should be talking about which guys to go after in the off season instead of talking about a bunch of so so players we might be able to get this year.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:54 pm
I admit I am not sure which guys are up for grabs next year but, the Suns seem convinced that’s what will happen. If you take them at their word then we should be talking about which guys to go after in the off season instead of talking about a bunch of so so players we might be able to get this year.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/guard/

There’s your list.

I give Kemba a 1% chance and we’d have to get rid of a couple of young guys down the line for cap reasons. Great player, but not ideal.

I think DeAngelo Russel could be had with a big offer since the Nets just locked up Dinwiddie on a long term deal. I think he’s the best option if he signs for less than the max, but that could be difficult considering he’ll probably be the second best PG on the market.

Rubio is who I’d go hard after. He’s a UFA and I think Utah would be willing to let him go if he had a high offer.

The rest aren’t in any way “The Guy”.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s kind of depressing. When I spoke to James Jones about the PG situation the other night he mentioned that there are only a handfull of guys. I am not sure whether he meant only a handfull of guys we could choose from or whether he was saying there are only a handfull of guys that are real PG’s. He seemed convinced that it was going to happen in the next off season though.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If not via trade, Brogdon and Rubio could be the main targets next summer.

As pointed, Rubio is unrestricted so if we strike hard and fast maybe he comes here, although he has a pretty good situation in Utah.

Brogdon is a RFA and I believe nothing short of a max offer would make MIL not match, but even in that case it is doubtful they let him go with all the success they are having and given they cleared salary after the trade with Cleveland.

Then you have a bunch of lower profile vets (Hill, Collison) or RFAs.

Tyus Jones would be a gamble as I am not sure if he is ready to start and lead an offense.

If this is the tier we are looking at, perhaps McConnell would be a better target as he is UFA and has experience making the transition from tanking to winning.

Rozier is looking like a flash in the pan last playoffs and not worth the trouble. I think any remotely significant offer sheet and Ainge lets him go.

Also, my paranoid side wonders how probable is that Jones and Sarver go nuts and go after Derrick Rose. Grant Hill part two, but actually expensive?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:33 am
If not via trade, Brogdon and Rubio could be the main targets next summer.

As pointed, Rubio is unrestricted so if we strike hard and fast maybe he comes here, although he has a pretty good situation in Utah.

Brogdon is a RFA and I believe nothing short of a max offer would make MIL not match, but even in that case it is doubtful they let him go with all the success they are having and given they cleared salary after the trade with Cleveland.

Then you have a bunch of lower profile vets (Hill, Collison) or RFAs.

Tyus Jones would be a gamble as I am not sure if he is ready to start and lead an offense.

If this is the tier we are looking at, perhaps McConnell would be a better target as he is UFA and has experience making the transition from tanking to winning.

Rozier is looking like a flash in the pan last playoffs and not worth the trouble. I think any remotely significant offer sheet and Ainge lets him go.

Also, my paranoid side wonders how probable is that Jones and Sarver go nuts and go after Derrick Rose. Grant Hill part two, but actually expensive?
I agree with just about all of your helpful summary. I think we should be calling Rubio at 12:01am to try to get him. I also like McConnell and Tyus Jones. Not really that excited about Rozier; seems like kind of a chucker to me, not the kind of PG I usually like. Rose has had a great comeback season but I don't think he's my kind of PG, and I also wouldn't want to commit long term money to a guy with that history of injuries. If he took a super cheap Grant Hill-esque deal, maybe, but I doubt it. Not very interested in Collison; seems very mediocre and unlikely to improve. Brogdon is probably unattainable; as you say, MIL will most likely match any offer for him that is even remotely fair.

RUBIO all the way, baby.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Rubio maybe. His passing and defense are nice, but I wonder how he'd play pick and roll with Ayton since at this moment Ayton can't put the ball on the floor, and Rubio's shooting (especially pull up) is never going to be a concern to defenders so they'll go under the screen. At least Kokoskov had Ricky in Utah so supposedly he'd be able to extract the most out of him as a lead guard with Booker and Ayton.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Rubio could be a top target, especially with Igor's connection to him. He also fits the bill as a pass first, defensive, veteran PG who we shouldn't have to break the bank for - certainly not Kemba or Conley money, nor will we have to overpay to keep Utah from matching like we would with RFAs like Rozier, Brogdon, etc. His shooting is still a major concern for me tho, especially because we still don't have a ton of shooters on the team. If we had a legit stretch 4 to put next to Booker and Bridges I'd feel better.

Brogdon might be my top target and I might be willing to overpay because of his style of play and age. He's played a lot less PG this year but if it's a sharing/motion offense he may be a better fit.