Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:33 pm
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:29 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm
Russell is a pg
Disagree.
Curious why you think that? Russell has the 6th highest assist rate in the nba this year. His A/TO rate is pretty good. He’s a little more of a shoot first guy, but he has good court vision. I think he’s a very good offensive fit with Booker. Defense is the question mark.

Only guys with higher assist rates: Westbrook, Harden, Wall, Jokic, Paul. He’s above Simmons, Lowry, Draymond
Cool stat, but doesnt mean he's a PG. He's a SG/combo guard at best, with a solid feel, better feel than Booker, better passer, still not a PG to me.
So what makes someone a pg to you?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:10 pm
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:33 pm
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:29 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm
Russell is a pg
Disagree.
Curious why you think that? Russell has the 6th highest assist rate in the nba this year. His A/TO rate is pretty good. He’s a little more of a shoot first guy, but he has good court vision. I think he’s a very good offensive fit with Booker. Defense is the question mark.

Only guys with higher assist rates: Westbrook, Harden, Wall, Jokic, Paul. He’s above Simmons, Lowry, Draymond
Cool stat, but doesnt mean he's a PG. He's a SG/combo guard at best, with a solid feel, better feel than Booker, better passer, still not a PG to me.
So what makes someone a pg to you?
A guy you can count on to run the offense properly, make others better, knows when to push the pace and when to slow it down. Russell is none of that. He gets his assists like Booker does when he's PG, ISO ISO ISO kick for 3. I'd rather have Rubio and I'm not a fan of players that are detrimental shooters.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I get what TheOriginal is saying and agree
Only thing is that is basically a generational thing imo. For a while now I say the position has become Points Guard as most guys on now scoring or combo guards

Pure point guards are fairly rare these days or just backups to the same combo guards
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I’d argue that Russell is a pg, just not the type of pg you prefer. There are not very many pg’s that do all the things you listed. And a lot of those things are learned skills..not many young players have the whole pace thing figured out.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:21 am
A guy you can count on to run the offense properly, make others better, knows when to push the pace and when to slow it down. Russell is none of that. He gets his assists like Booker does when he's PG, ISO ISO ISO kick for 3.
Good explanation.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.