Game Day: Timberwolves (22-24) @ Suns (11-37), Tues 1/22/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (22-24) @ Suns (11-37), Tues 1/22/19

Post by Mori Chu »

That footage of Booker and Dieng, capped by Book awkwardly lurching toward the tunnel with his arms being held, was a low point of the season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 am
That footage of Booker and Dieng, capped by Book awkwardly lurching toward the tunnel with his arms being held, was a low point of the season.
And just shows that Book should be hitting the weights. He still has dad arms.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
The silliest thing about his angry exit is that Booker would get absolutely wrecked by Dieng. Book is many things, but a strong fighter is decidedly not one of them.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 am
Yeah, it didn't seem like Booker really wanted to be there last night. I would love to see more from him and it seemed that he acted more mature in previous seasons. It's been tough this year with him missing time with injuries. I don't think that this season has been anything like he was expecting and the only thing he can do is be professional about the rest of the season and bring it every night, as they are vying for relevance and consistency.
Could it be that off-court activities are affecting his game?

NSFW:
Spoiler: show/hide
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
The silliest thing about his angry exit is that Booker would get absolutely wrecked by Dieng. Book is many things, but a strong fighter is decidedly not one of them.
Let's hope there was a "police presence" on the scene.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"The silliest thing about his angry exit is that Booker would get absolutely wrecked by Dieng. Book is many things, but a strong fighter is decidedly not one of them."

"A good man always knows his limitations." Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:21 am
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:05 am
Maybe it's time somebody in the organization told Booker to stop being a douchebag.
Thank you.
+1

It was endearing when he was a rookie or when he was the only bright spot on a 20-something win team.

Now he's a max player and he needs to cut that s*** out when the team isn't anywhere near a playoff spot.
Agree. Really acting like a primadonna.

He’s been awful on defense, not just man but even worse when he has the Steve Nash syndrome of sagging too much off his man and then leaving him open for a 3 or a back cut.

He’s yelling at his teammates, occasionally not getting back on D, forcing shots.

It’s just really ugly.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

The board is really turning slowly against Book, including me. Dark days indeed. Hopes were really high and that is what hurts the most.
This is what I wrote in The Offseason
Democritus wrote: ↑Tue Jun 26, 2018, 8:22 pm
Isn't it a lot of pressure for a 22-year-old kid to carry his team mentally and physically to the playoffs? I guess we are rushing things a little bit here. Just look at the injuries which Booker had the last year.
And at the very moment what we have more from last year are only two rookies. High expectations my let us down again. My only expectation for the next year is a watchable young team who has fun being on the court.

But still disappointing, because there is no fun whatsoever. Misery all along.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty, are spoilers broken? Realized my post was NSFW and added a spoiler tag but you can't see it when clicking on it.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Booker is having a rough season with all the nagging injuries and the team still in the basement.

Looking at the glass half full, when players are missing, other players get more playing time. With our Centers out of action Bender has been forced into major time at Center. He has been a 3 out 10 this year on my 1-10 performance scale before these last two starts. Decent defense but does not want to shoot unless it’s a 3 pointer and reluctant at that. When he got the start I expected he would step up a little and be a 4 maybe a 5 with a good chance of quickly fouling out and being a 3. Instead he was a 7, didn’t foul out and was fairly aggresive in the paint. I am happy he had a decent game and showed us something. He went from a 3 to a 5 on my season grade scale.

My grade for Jackson this year has varied from 3-8. He also stepped up his game the last two games and seems to be figuring out what his strengths and weaknesses are. His season long grade is sitting at around 5-6.

Oubre has gotten a lot of flack it seems. Comparing his contributions to the team to Ariza’s contributions I would have to say Oubre has been a much better player for us. Ariza seemed like he didn’t want to be here. Oubre hustles his ass off and has contributed much more to the Suns than Ariza IMO. He definitely plays with a chip on his shoulder but, that’s ok. My score for him is a 7. He drives, he shoots threes, he blocks shots he brings intensity. I like what he brings to the team. The trade was a good one even if it’s only for this year.

Bridges has been a good pick and has played well. He starts as a rookie. He hasn’t made a bunch of out of control rookie mistakes. I give him a 7 too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
Marty, are spoilers broken? Realized my post was NSFW and added a spoiler tag but you can't see it when clicking on it.
Hmm, it looks like they were indeed broken for some reason. I just manually edited the code for the Spoiler feature and believe I fixed it. When I refreshed the page, the spoiler now works for me. Enjoy!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
Hmm, it looks like they were indeed broken for some reason. I just manually edited the code for the Spoiler feature and believe I fixed it. When I refreshed the page, the spoiler now works for me. Enjoy!
You da man!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 pm
You da man!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Next time you have the thought that Booker is a primadonna, bratty or that complains too much, remember this brutal fact (via reddit): during Devin Booker's first 4 Years in the League he has had 54 different teammates and 4 different Head Coaches.

Take a look at the overall ridiculously low quality of those 54 players (NSFW):
Pick the best 10-man rotation you can and you don't win more than what, 30 or 35 games? Busts, G-leaguers, walking corpses, broken or phased out guys... not to mention malcontents like Bledsoe and Kieff.

Booker is carrying an inmense load and it is starting to show burnout signs, both in terms of injuries and attitude. At this rate it won't take long before he wants out, and it will be even sooner if peple start to misdirect angst towards the lone confirmed bright spot on this franchise.

The kid is not perfect but come on now.

carey

Post by carey »

Good post, RW.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree with you, RW. I haven't soured on Booker at all. I didn't like what he did the other night, but I think some frustration is understandable given the situation. I still love having him here and want to build a winning team around him. I love that Book has embraced the city of Phoenix, doing a lot for the local community, donating money to people in need, etc. I want a guy like him to stay here for his whole career, and I want to see him on the team when the Suns win their first ever NBA title.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Let's not mince words here. What's wrong with Booker is that he's fucked up his personal life. Getting multiple women pregnant while dating a Kardashian? He let Drake and the max contract go to his head, lived the kind of summer that we've all dreamed about -- and now, he's paying for the consequences. And now everyone knows about it thanks to the intrusive media. Of course he's going to get all chippy and start acting like a defensive jerk.

My hope is that this will be a growing experience for him, and that he'll discover real professionalism at the other end of that tunnel. I suspect that he'll be successful. I wonder how much Crawford is talking with him -- Booker needs a big bro in the worst possible way.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He ain’t Larry Fitzgerald, that’s for sure.

Every team should point at that guy and tell their players - there’s an example of how to conduct yourself on and off the job.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 am
Let's not mince words here. What's wrong with Booker is that he's f*** up his personal life. Getting multiple women pregnant while dating a Kardashian? He let Drake and the max contract go to his head, lived the kind of summer that we've all dreamed about -- and now, he's paying for the consequences. And now everyone knows about it thanks to the intrusive media. Of course he's going to get all chippy and start acting like a defensive jerk.

My hope is that this will be a growing experience for him, and that he'll discover real professionalism at the other end of that tunnel. I suspect that he'll be successful. I wonder how much Crawford is talking with him -- Booker needs a big bro in the worst possible way.
I hope he buys season tickets for all his baby mommas and children grow up in and around the arena. It should be some nice sibling rivalry going on.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:30 am
Next time you have the thought that Booker is a primadonna, bratty or that complains too much, remember this brutal fact (via reddit): during Devin Booker's first 4 Years in the League he has had 54 different teammates and 4 different Head Coaches.

Take a look at the overall ridiculously low quality of those 54 players (NSFW):
Pick the best 10-man rotation you can and you don't win more than what, 30 or 35 games? Busts, G-leaguers, walking corpses, broken or phased out guys... not to mention malcontents like Bledsoe and Kieff.

Booker is carrying an inmense load and it is starting to show burnout signs, both in terms of injuries and attitude. At this rate it won't take long before he wants out, and it will be even sooner if peple start to misdirect angst towards the lone confirmed bright spot on this franchise.

The kid is not perfect but come on now.
Ha ha! Great use of the NSFW spoiler.
"Be Legendary."