Game Day: Suns (11-40) @ Lakers (25-24), Sun 1/27/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (11-40) @ Lakers (25-24), Sun 1/27/19

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 am
How embarrassing. It's like a Ringling Brothers and Three Stooges blooper reel played by a bunch of amature And-1 streetball players meeting for the first time.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 am
I don't think Triano was anything special and any coach forced to go into a season with our PG situation would look just as bad. That said, we drafted a 7-0 franchise big #1 overall and hardly post him up. You don't necessarily need a PG to run offense thru your center on the block. Any one of our guys can do that now so that falls on Igor. I feel like we're running the Utah offense except we don't have Mitchell, Rubio, or Exum on the perimeter and we use Ayton like Gobert. Should be the opposite.
A good coach finds a way to fit his system to his players. A bad coach tries to use a system no matter what personnel he has - whether they fit it or not.

The best example is how Pat Riley coached the Showtime Lakers, and then went to New York and coached teams where they just pummeled people. He knew what kind of payers he had and what they were effective at and then used them accordingly.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 am
ShelC wrote:
I don't think Triano was anything special and any coach forced to go into a season with our PG situation would look just as bad. That said, we drafted a 7-0 franchise big #1 overall and hardly post him up. You don't necessarily need a PG to run offense thru your center on the block. Any one of our guys can do that now so that falls on Igor. I feel like we're running the Utah offense except we don't have Mitchell, Rubio, or Exum on the perimeter and we use Ayton like Gobert. Should be the opposite.
A good coach finds a way to fit his system to his players. A bad coach tries to use a system no matter what personnel he has - whether they fit it or not.

The best example is how Pat Riley coached the Showtime Lakers, and then went to New York and coached teams where they just pummeled people. He knew what kind of payers he had and what they were effective at and then used them accordingly.
Do you think the Suns could get Riley to come coach the Suns? jk

I am pretty distraught about the coaching that's happened this year. It's not been much better than Watson. Triano did better, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:10 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 am
ShelC wrote:

Do you think the Suns could get Riley to come coach the Suns? jk

I am pretty distraught about the coaching that's happened this year. It's not been much better than Watson. Triano did better, imo.
Unfortunately, Riley's ties to the Suns are 40+ years old and run through Jerry Colangelo.

Plus, he's got a pretty good thing going for him in Florida!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I watched a good chunk of this game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. It frustrates the hell out of me that a team can have such an obvious but effective defensive strategy against Booker. The Lakers would simply double him on the PnR and he'd back himself into the corner, force a weak pass that would give the defense enough time to rotate, and watch someone jack up defended shot.

I know we were spoiled with watching Nash's wizardry with the ball, but Booker is downright brutal for some stretches.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm
I watched a good chunk of this game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. It frustrates the hell out of me that a team can have such an obvious but effective defensive strategy against Booker. The Lakers would simply double him on the PnR and he'd back himself into the corner, force a weak pass that would give the defense enough time to rotate, and watch someone jack up defended shot.

I know we were spoiled with watching Nash's wizardry with the ball, but Booker is downright brutal for some stretches.
He's stunted by his lack of athleticism.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton