Game Day: Hawks (16-35) @ Suns (11-42), Sat 2/2/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Hawks (16-35) @ Suns (11-42), Sat 2/2/19

Post by Indy »

gosuns wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:31 am
Indy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:20 pm
So I take that back--We won those 3:47 by 1 point. Here are the stats for the 3:47 to finish the second where Holmes and Ayton played together:

Code: Select all

Start   51-49
Finish  58-57
Pts Net +1 Suns
Trb Net +1 Suns
Ast Net +1 Suns
TOs Net +1 Hawks (meaning they had 1 more TO)
Interesting. If i recall well the first Hawks possession they got like 3 offensive rebounds. Remarkable that we still ended up outrebounding them. Plus giving up just 7 points in that stretch isn’t bad. Obviously it’s not enough time to judge anything,
Keep in mind that the way rebounding stats work plays a role. If we take a shot, it rebounds, hits a Hawks player and goes out of bounds, that is an Offensive Rebound for us. Or at the end of the quarter, when Oubre took that half-court shot, it wasn't recovered by the Hawks before time expired, and that counts as an O-board for us. If you only count rebounds by a person instead of "team rebounds" we played even in that 3:47.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 am
gosuns wrote:
Indy wrote:
So I take that back--We won those 3:47 by 1 point. Here are the stats for the 3:47 to finish the second where Holmes and Ayton played together:

Start   51-49
Finish  58-57
Pts Net +1 Suns
Trb Net +1 Suns
Ast Net +1 Suns
Interesting. If i recall well the first Hawks possession they got like 3 offensive rebounds. Remarkable that we still ended up outrebounding them. Plus giving up just 7 points in that stretch isn’t bad. Obviously it’s not enough time to judge anything,
Keep in mind that the way rebounding stats work plays a role. If we take a shot, it rebounds, hits a Hawks player and goes out of bounds, that is an Offensive Rebound for us. Or at the end of the quarter, when Oubre took that half-court shot, it wasn't recovered by the Hawks before time expired, and that counts as an O-board for us. If you only count rebounds by a person instead of "team rebounds" we played even in that 3:47.
Got it. We will see if Igor will try playing them together again. I hope so.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

gosuns wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:30 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 am
gosuns wrote:
Indy wrote:

Start   51-49
Finish  58-57
Pts Net +1 Suns
Trb Net +1 Suns
Ast Net +1 Suns
Got it. We will see if Igor will try playing them together again. I hope so.
Holmes isn't quite right after his injury. Hopefully they both look 100% sooner rather than later.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Agreed. He did not seem himself. Not even close. Neither did Ayton. It was so frustrating to watch. It was like the first game Devin came back. You wonder if it is just rust or not quite 100%. Also, if we are going to play them together, and we continue to insist on Ayton setting screens well above the 3pt line, he will need to be shooting some of those 3s.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am not really feeling the Ayton/Holmes frontcourt. I get why some folks want to see them together; their strengths and weaknesses kind of complement each other. But I just don't think you can have two guys that big and slow out there together when neither one brings any outside shooting. I don't think we should ever play those two guys at the same time. 4 shooters and one of Ayton/Holmes would be my strong preference.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If we play Ayton and Holmes together, that will now be two players at once that won’t get any touches in the paint. We are completely unwilling to feed the big man. It’s why I think Igor should get axed. If a coach can’t even Attempt to utilize his best players, he’s ass.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's not the best fit, but the Suns are getting killed on the boards and inside, which is why they want to see it. Obviously, having a shooter at the pf position, that could also rebound, guard inside, offer weakside defense, switch and guard at a high level on the perimeter would be ideal. Otherwise teams continue to attack this position. Maybe a Love like player, but even he isn't great at perimeter defense and that contract is a little long. AD would be perfect, and Zion if his outside shot comes around would work in this instant too. Maybe Zion would be the best, since he cuts to the basket well, passes well when help defense comes over, can guard inside and out, rebounds like a mad man, and provides nice weakside defense and shot blocking, along with the fact that he would be on a rookie contract, has a great attitude towards team play and in the locker room.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

We'd draft Zion and nobody would get him the ball. Coach would have him hang out by the half court line yelling reads while Ayton dances around the 3-point line setting screens and rolling to Zion to distract the other team by the half court line. Then the ball would be fed to Warren where it would disappear into a black hole, never to be seen again. Booker would get kicked in the throat in front of an official that would call a flagrant foul on Bookers neck for making contact with the defenders shoe while Igor folds his arms walking back and forth quietly. Bookers head will explode from frustration because Igor doesn't have anyone's back and he'd get ejected for getting blood on the scorers table.

What I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter who we draft. If we can't play to our strengths and abuse our opponents in the paint where we have a clear advantage, why would drafting Zion do anything to improve our team?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am
We'd draft Zion and nobody would get him the ball. Coach would have him hang out by the half court line yelling reads while Ayton dances around the 3-point line setting screens and rolling to Zion to distract the other team by the half court line. Then the ball would be fed to Warren where it would disappear into a black hole, never to be seen again. Booker would get kicked in the throat in front of an official that would call a flagrant foul on Bookers neck for making contact with the defenders shoe while Igor folds his arms walking back and forth quietly. Bookers head will explode from frustration because Igor doesn't have anyone's back and he'd get ejected for getting blood on the scorers table.

What I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter who we draft. If we can't play to our strengths and abuse our opponents in the paint where we have a clear advantage, why would drafting Zion do anything to improve our team?
Robot, is that you? :P
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm all for getting Ayton the ball, but posting him up, unless he has deep position, is not efficient basketball. He doesn't seem to have many moves if he's catching it from more than 7 feet out other than a turnaround jumper. Establishing deep position is key for him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:24 pm
I'm all for getting Ayton the ball, but posting him up, unless he has deep position, is not efficient basketball. He doesn't seem to have many moves if he's catching it from more than 7 feet out other than a turnaround jumper. Establishing deep position is key for him.
Agreed. If he is facing the basket from the elbow, that is fine, but he really only tries jumpers from there. He doesn't drive to the basket unless he is already rolling and is given the ball at the rim. But if he isn't right near the basket, posting him up hasn't been effective.

I really wish we could see him try to move with the ball towards the basket...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It’s on Igor to put him in positions where he will succeed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Agreed. If he is facing the basket from the elbow, that is fine, but he really only tries jumpers from there. He doesn't drive to the basket unless he is already rolling and is given the ball at the rim. But if he isn't right near the basket, posting him up hasn't been effective.

He needs to watch game film of Embiid. Might as well go back and watch Olajuwon while he’s at it.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Shabazz wrote:

It feels like he is being held back from making this move either by himself or Igor. I don't know who it's on, but it needs to change. He needs to start making moves with the ball towards the basket. All it would take is one dribble and explode.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I have a really hard time thinking that Igor is telling him not to attack the basket unless he is 5 feet from it. But he may not be holding him accountable, or maybe the plays they have reduced down to don't include that option?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:10 am
Where did Melton go?
He has an ankle injury.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Establishing deep position is key for the offense.
FTFY.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:36 am
I have no problem with our wingplay.
Oh Shel.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.