2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
n4th4n

Re: 2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
We’ve definitely made mistakes and lots of them. I’m not saying that our plan has been the right one. I just don’t think now is the right time to build the roster with impending free agents. Last summer would have been a great time to add good veteran players, we obviously wiffed. But we have options to try again this summer. I just think our options are better then than now.
Exactly. The mistakes of the past are a sunk cost. We don't want to make silly, short-sighted moved just to spite ourselves. Going into this season, we tried to do the exact thing that Sauce is describing. We just failed in the execution. We got the wrong vets. You mix that in with the fact that we have had an injury-plagued Booker season, you get the situation we are in now.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:03 pm
Do you actually think trading for Mirotic would have changed anything? We’d win 22 games instead of 18 and then he’d sign elsewhere.
We would at least have a chance of signing him if he fit in here. Right now our chances of signing him are probably close to zero. I think it's better to trade for impending free agents (when we don't have to give up much) than just hoping a free agent will want to come here out of the blue in the summer.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:02 pm
Split T wrote:
Do you actually think trading for Mirotic would have changed anything? We’d win 22 games instead of 18 and then he’d sign elsewhere.
We would at least have a chance of signing him if he fit in here. Right now our chances of signing him are probably close to zero. I think it's better to trade for impending free agents (when we don't have to give up much) than just hoping a free agent will want to come here out of the blue in the summer.
To play the devil's advocate, what if trading for him at the deadline and forcing him to suffer through half a season of losing actually lowered our chances of having him on the roster for the 2019/2020 season? The strategy you are talking about seems great if you are bringing a guy in with the hopes of having him fall in love with your team/city/culture, but I don't think that is going to happen here.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

n4th4n wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:05 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
To play the devil's advocate, what if trading for him at the deadline and forcing him to suffer through half a season of losing actually lowered our chances of having him on the roster for the 2019/2020 season? The strategy you are talking about seems great if you are bringing a guy in with the hopes of having him fall in love with your team/city/culture, but I don't think that is going to happen here.
That's the same scared attitude that prevented us from trading Josh Jackson for Kyrie Irving. I absolutely hate playing not-to-lose.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm
n4th4n wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
That's the same scared attitude that prevented us from trading Josh Jackson for Kyrie Irving. I absolutely hate playing not-to-lose.
I agree. There comes a point where you just have to take a chance at something, damn the odds and damn the downside. No risk it, no biscuit. I just don't think that this trade deadline was that time.
Last edited by n4th4n on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

n4th4n wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Then at least we tried. Again, I'm talking about a low-risk trade where we didn't have to give up much to get him (Mirotic). Maybe we would have started playing better and gained something very valuable for the whole team...hope.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm
That's who the Suns should have traded for.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

When the deadline passed I found myself relieved that we didn't make any moves because I feared that we would do something stupid and ruin everything, like trading our 1st rounder away for a marginal player. So I was happy we did nothing. But then I realized that I have internalized these very low expectations for our franchise; I don't expect them to do anything actively good or to improve the team, I'm ecstatic that they just do nothing and don't make us even worse. How pathetic.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This!!!

How sad it has become.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trading crap away to get crap in return just to trade and say you did something is something I sort of expected. I am glad they didn’t do anything stupid. I expect them to continue to lose this season and then I expect them to get a respectable PG or PF in the offseason. We should get a real good draft pick again to PU something or use it to make a deal.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 am
Trading crap away to get crap in return just to trade and say you did something is something I sort of expected. I am glad they didn’t do anything stupid. I expect them to continue to lose this season and then I expect them to get a respectable PG or PF in the offseason. We should get a real good draft pick again to PU something or use it to make a deal.
Here are the high draft picks we have made/traded on draft night since Sarver came here:

2004: #7 Loul Deng (traded away)
2013: #5 Alex Len (didn't keep past rookie contract)
2016: #4 Dragan Bender (didn't pick up option)
2016: #8 Marquese Chriss (traded away)
2017: #4 Josh Jackson (jury still out, has been one of worst players in basketball first 2 years, but shows signs)
2018: #1 Deandre Ayton (looks like a double/double machine, but not impactful so far)
2018: #10 Mikal Bridges (traded #16 and Miami unprotected 1st)

If you go to top 20 it looks a little better
Robin Lopez, Earl Clark, Markieff, TJ, Tyler Ennis, Booker

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

7 top 10 picks and maybe 1 franchise guy.

Disgraceful.

jonh

Post by jonh »

I have no idea what the asking price for Ball was, but (assuming he could have been acquired with one of the 4 small forwards on the roster and the Bucks 1st round pick) it seems strange to leave such a glaring hole in the roster. Seems like a stubborn refusal to overpay is cutting off the nose to spite the face.

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 am

Disgraceful.
Not unheard of--but if I remember right, Sarver fired most of the draft analysts with him when he fired McD, and the FO has been running with something of a skeleton crew this season. Certainly does not breed confidence regarding the draft this summer.

Although it does seem like McD just drafted based on the consensus "best player available", so maybe they think they've got this.

I sometimes hate that I care about this team so much.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

jonh wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:37 am
ShelC wrote:

Disgraceful.
Agreed.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 am
jonh wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Disgraceful.
Agreed.
This for the last 8 years. It has been 3,197 days since our last playoff game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am
In2ition wrote:
jonh wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Disgraceful.
Agreed.
We just can’t let go. Colangelo earned our loyalty, Sarver inherited it, and the Suns will always have it no matter how badly run.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am
In2ition wrote:
jonh wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Disgraceful.
Agreed.
We just can’t let go. Colangelo earned our loyalty, Sarver inherited it, and the Suns will always have it no matter how badly run.
Sometimes I am envious of those people that are just bandwagon fans.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 am
I have no idea what the asking price for Ball was, but (assuming he could have been acquired with one of the 4 small forwards on the roster and the Bucks 1st round pick) it seems strange to leave such a glaring hole in the roster. Seems like a stubborn refusal to overpay is cutting off the nose to spite the face.
According to something I heard, the only way the Lakers were giving up Ball was for Booker.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

jonh wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 am
I don't think the Lakers were willing to take that offer. Word was they wanted more than that, such as our own 1st rounder or more/better players.