2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Post by Superbone »

The 2019 NBA trade deadline is Feb. 7 at 3 p.m. ET. Are the Suns going to make a move? Predictions?
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: 2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we will trade Josh Jackson and a future pick for a marginal point guard. In my dreams it would be Lonzo Ball. But I have this vague feeling that we are going to botch this trade deadline and do something stupid.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:17 pm
I think we will trade Josh Jackson and a future pick for a marginal point guard. In my dreams it would be Lonzo Ball. But I have this vague feeling that we are going to botch this trade deadline and do something stupid.
I don't think we'll do anything stupid. More likely we'll do nothing.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I have a feeling this trade deadline will be anti climactic. If Davis doesn’t get moved, I could see just a few minor deals going down.

Then again, we could also have some chaos. AD, Randle, Mirotic, Jrue could all be on the move from NO. Conley and Gasol could both move. Don’t think Love is being traded, but it’s possible. Could Orlando clear out some of their logjam at the 4/5?

Kinda think we won’t do anything though...I don’t think that’s necessarily bad though. This summer might be a better time to make some moves.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would enjoy getting Kevin Love if they would part with him for a reasonable price. Have there been any rumors on what Cleveland might be doing, or what they might want in return for Love?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I bet the suns don't make a move, or if they do, they overpay for the likes of an awful Beverly or Rozier.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:09 pm
I bet the suns don't make a move, or if they do, they overpay for the likes of an awful Beverly or Rozier.
Those two are near the bottom of my PG wish list. They'll come in and play hard for 2-3 weeks and fool all of us, and then they'll break our heart.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:55 pm
I would enjoy getting Kevin Love if they would part with him for a reasonable price. Have there been any rumors on what Cleveland might be doing, or what they might want in return for Love?
He’s been hurt, I’d guess they’ll hold onto him until the summer after teams have seen him play

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Those two are near the bottom of my PG wish list. They'll come in and play hard for 2-3 weeks and fool all of us, and then they'll break our heart.
I'd rather roll with Okobo/Melton if those are the available choices.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:59 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:

Hell, the season will be almost 3/4 over at that point - if they overpay for a PG at that point we should all be lining up with our torches and pitchforks.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

We need something radical or we gonna suck for years.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

TOO

Post by TOO »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:13 pm
Bring on radical, we've already sucked for years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:

Hell, the season will be almost 3/4 over at that point - if they overpay for a PG at that point we should all be lining up with our torches and pitchforks.
Honestly, that should have started when we traded KT and TWO FIRST ROUND draft picks for cap space. I know I am still whining about not giving Joe his money, but really all you need to know about Sarver was when that KT trade happened. It was the beginning of the end, but we didn't notice because we still had Steve, Shawn, Amare, and a great coach. That covered for a lot of ineptitude. You can get away with it when you inherit a great team. But in the end, you reap what you sow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:36 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:

Honestly, that should have started when we traded KT and TWO FIRST ROUND draft picks for cap space. I know I am still whining about not giving Joe his money, but really all you need to know about Sarver was when that KT trade happened. It was the beginning of the end, but we didn't notice because we still had Steve, Shawn, Amare, and a great coach. That covered for a lot of ineptitude. You can get away with it when you inherit a great team. But in the end, you reap what you sow.
Isn't it AMAZING what Sarver inherited and what he has reduced us to over time since he took over? Reversed Midas Touch comes to mind.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

To be fair to him, he didn't inherit it. He paid the highest price for any team in history (at that time) for the team. He just squandered it so damn quickly, and he didn't even do that right. If you are going to do it, you do it like Jerry did with the Diamondbacks where you completely sacrifice everything you have in the cupboard and the coffers for your future, to win now. Instead we sacrificed our future, but didn't really want to spend for the present. So we fall short in the current, and woefully short with no direction in our future. Bleh.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 pm
To be fair to him, he didn't inherit it. He paid the highest price for any team in history (at that time) for the team. He just squandered it so damn quickly, and he didn't even do that right. If you are going to do it, you do it like Jerry did with the Diamondbacks where you completely sacrifice everything you have in the cupboard and the coffers for your future, to win now. Instead we sacrificed our future, but didn't really want to spend for the present. So we fall short in the current, and woefully short with no direction in our future. Bleh.
You should look up the definition of "inherit". There is more than one meaning. He inherited the roster you mentioned. It doesn't matter that he paid for it.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

And the Nash signing was basically all Bryan and Jerry. They could have done that even if Sarver hadn't bought the team. So if only Jerry had held on to the team for a few more years, I think we definitely would have won a championship in the Nash era.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I blame Steve Kerr for introducing Colangelo to his asshole friend. But it got him a GM job from his buddy, and ultimately he caught on with some other team and had some success there.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Democritus wrote:
Trade for AD and Holiday. Our picks are way better than anything the Lakers can offer. The Hornets would probably take on Anderson's contract, because they are going to focus on the draft for now and not free agency. He will be done after the summer of 2020.

Ayton, Warren, Anderson, (and change) and a couple first rounders for AD and Holiday.

Ya gotta admit, the NBA is all about the best player you get. Ayton has to be a lot more attractive to the Pels than anything the Lakers would offer.

Not sure I would do it, but radical would have to look something like this.

Or Radical might be trading Booker in a package for AD.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Democritus wrote:
Trade for AD and Holiday. Our picks are way better than anything the Lakers can offer. The Hornets would probably take on Anderson's contract, because they are going to focus on the draft for now and not free agency. He will be done after the summer of 2020.

Ayton, Warren, Anderson, (and change) and a couple first rounders for AD and Holiday.

Ya gotta admit, the NBA is all about the best player you get. Ayton has to be a lot more attractive to the Pels than anything the Lakers would offer.

Not sure I would do it, but radical would have to look something like this.

Or Radical might be trading Booker in a package for AD.
I'd trade Booker in a package for Davis before I'd trade Ayton, especially if we'd get Holliday as well. I think Ayton and Davis would form a better tandem than Booker/Davis.