2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Post by ShelC »

Again....technical GM- can "do" the job, but wasn't actually any good at it. Even the good trades he made were because of something dumb he did beforehand. Yea we got a 1st for Markieff because of a plan of his that didn't work - and it cost us a season and a coaching staff (remember firing the assistants first?). Yea we traded Bledsoe for a 1st - after his social media post 4 games into the season when we could've moved him to the Bucks over the summer with more leverage. Brandon Knight to a full max deal?

It's over and done with but how anyone call his tenure a success or that he was a good GM is beyond me. He was a below average exec that cost us 5 years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 pm
Do Chriss and Bridges not count?
I was referring to him screwing up our top 10 picks. For Chriss and Mikal he traded lower picks and other assets to move up. I wasn't sure if it was fair to call those out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 pm
Do Chriss and Bridges not count?
I was referring to him screwing up our top 10 picks. For Chriss and Mikal he traded lower picks and other assets to move up. I wasn't sure if it was fair to call those out.
I figured, but was wondering.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:26 pm
Again....technical GM- can "do" the job, but wasn't actually any good at it. Even the good trades he made were because of something dumb he did beforehand. Yea we got a 1st for M******f because of a plan of his that didn't work - and it cost us a season and a coaching staff (remember firing the assistants first?). Yea we traded Bledsoe for a 1st - after his social media post 4 games into the season when we could've moved him to the Bucks over the summer with more leverage. Brandon Knight to a full max deal?

It's over and done with but how anyone call his tenure a success or that he was a good GM is beyond me. He was a below average exec that cost us 5 years.
You can spin this both ways. You can say everything good he did was then undone by a screwup. Or you can say that when he messed up, he worked to set things right, making moves to undo damage or get future assets. Both views have some truth to them.

Also, not to nitpick, but Brandon Knight did not get "a full max deal." He was signed to 5 years, $70m, which is not the max amount he could have theoretically signed if he were a superstar.

I do agree with your criticisms of his individual moves in your post. He did make several mistakes that cost us as a franchise.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

You guys should watch some of the videos of that are floating around from that Jones interview. This franchise is a joke.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:47 pm
You guys should watch some of the videos of that are floating around from that Jones interview. This franchise is a joke.
Nah, I dont need any new reasons to dislike this doo doo party.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

James Jones is the Front Office Earl Watson.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Yup.

Remind to never say we've hit rock bottom.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:57 pm
James Jones is the Front Office Earl Watson.
This is great. :lol:
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 pm
Yup.

Remind to never say we've hit rock bottom.
Every time you think we’ve hit rock bottom, we find a way to keep digging. At this rate, we’re going to end up playing in the Aussie league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I want to be mad at James Jones for these dumb comments. But I ultimately don't fault him. He's an example of the Peter Principle. He has been promoted to his level of incompetence. It isn't his fault he isn't qualified for the job he's holding. He was offered it and he accepted. Why shouldn't he? It's a great opportunity, to help manage an NBA franchise. Who wouldn't want that job?

Ultimately the blame comes back to the same place: Little Bobby Saver. He is the one choosing the wrong people time and again for these important front office jobs. He's the one cheaping out and offering some of the lowest salaries in the league to coaches and GMs. He's the one going out of his way to choose people with little or no experience. IMO he does this partly because he wants them to be willing to take a lower salary, and partly because he wants to exert his meddlesome influence on them in their day-to-day work, and veterans won't tolerate that.

Saver is the problem. He has always been the problem. #SarverOUT

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm
I want to be mad at James Jones for these dumb comments. But I ultimately don't fault him. He's an example of the Peter Principle. He has been promoted to his level of incompetence. It isn't his fault he isn't qualified for the job he's holding. He was offered it and he accepted. Why shouldn't he? It's a great opportunity, to help manage an NBA franchise. Who wouldn't want that job?

Ultimately the blame comes back to the same place: Little Bobby Saver. He is the one choosing the wrong people time and again for these important front office jobs. He's the one cheaping out and offering some of the lowest salaries in the league to coaches and GMs. He's the one going out of his way to choose people with little or no experience. IMO he does this partly because he wants them to be willing to take a lower salary, and partly because he wants to exert his meddlesome influence on them in their day-to-day work, and veterans won't tolerate that.

Exactly.

I just wonder where Sarver goes for advice or does he just pull names out of his ass?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Exactly.

I just wonder where Sarver goes for advice or does he just pull names out of his ass?
I’m sure he speaks with himself, number one, because he has a very good brain and he’s said a lot of things.