2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: 2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Post by djy2j »

You stupid stupid man. Get him out of here!
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

djy2j wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am

It makes me wonder if it was his decision to move them/release them. If it was his decision, why do we have him. If it wasn't, it is clear why we have him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ I just came here to post that tweet and crap on it. What a freaking idiot. Literally all he has done as GM is:

- sign a veteran friend (Crawford)
- make a sweetheart deal to help out his buddy Lebron (Chandler buyout)
- trade for a marginal guard on his old team (deal w/ Heat to get Johnson), where we gave the Heat big tax/cap relief and arguably should have tried to extract a draft asset such as at least a 2nd round pick

This guy is just calling up his friends from when he was a player. He has no connections, no pull, no experience, no savvy. He is not a GM.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

djy2j wrote:

Exactly.

This is why buyouts shouldn't occur until you explore every possible avenue up to the trade deadline. Chandler and Arthur should have stayed on the roster since they were being paid anyway.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:32 am
djy2j wrote:

Exactly.

This is why buyouts shouldn't occur until you explore every possible avenue up to the trade deadline. Chandler and Arthur should have stayed on the roster since they were being paid anyway.
Agreed--even if you have to tell them to go home and wait. Chandler wasn't playing for us, even when he was on the court. But you don't just pay him to play elsewhere. That is just stupid.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:22 am
djy2j wrote:

It makes me wonder if it was his decision to move them/release them. If it was his decision, why do we have him. If it wasn't, it is clear why we have him.
Yeah, it's strange that he would admit that. Makes it sound like it wasn't his choice. Either that or he just learned how it works.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Yeah, it's strange that he would admit that. Makes it sound like it wasn't his choice. Either that or he just learned how it works.
Its almost like he underestimated all of the nuances of being a GM, which is surprising, because he has literally never done anything like this before.

It reminded me of this quote from 2 years ago from someone I see as equally qualified for their position: https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/politic ... ndex.html

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Its almost like he underestimated all of the nuances of being a GM, which is surprising, because he has literally never done anything like this before.

It reminded me of this quote from 2 years ago from someone I see as equally qualified for their position: https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/politic ... ndex.html
I thought of the same comment... who knew it was so complicated that only about 4-5 people on the planet are good at it at one time?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

At least having McDonough would have avoided this type of calamity. I’ll never get how, at every opportunity to fail, this franchise never misses a beat.

How does every fan see this coming but the GM does not? It’s like watching an unsupervised kid at a birthday party.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I officially miss McDonough. He made a lot of mistakes, but he was a smart guy and he understood the nuances of the job. I think he would have done better with this current season than Jones has done.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

What makes me sick is that Sarver thinks he knows what he's doing.

I almost want to blame Steve Kerr for introducing Jerry to Sarver.

...and campaigning from the broadcast booth for the suspensions in 2007.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:52 pm
I officially miss McDonough. He made a lot of mistakes, but he was a smart guy and he understood the nuances of the job. I think he would have done better with this current season than Jones has done.
What did he do well?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:19 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
What did he do well?
He made tradeline moves and deals but it never made us better.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
What did he do well?
Waste top 10 draft picks.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, can't say I miss McDonough. He had way too many misses. Nice guy though.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sad Suns Fan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:08 pm
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
What did he do well?
Waste top 10 draft picks.
Well, he only used 4. Len, Bender, Josh, Ayton. Those are not the picks I would have used during the draft, but they aren't far off.

Len was the consensus pick in that range, with Nerlens going right after. Yeah it would have been great to draft Steven Adams at center instead, but that would have been a big reach without all the hindsight.

Bender was probably his biggest miss. There were guys right after that could have helped a lot more than Bender.

Josh was the consensus pick too, but I wanted Isaac. Neither look great. But Fox could have been great for us.

Ayton vs Luka. I would have preferred Luka, but I get the pick.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Do Chriss and Bridges not count?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 pm
Do Chriss and Bridges not count?
I think they cancel each other out.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think we should relitigate all of his various transactions. He made a bunch of big mistakes. But I liked a lot of his trades and I liked that he acquired draft picks and seemed to value the draft, even though he didn't always make the right choices when drafting. I liked that he was willing to trade a player for a pick, such as Scola for a future 1st, Gortat for a future 1st, traded Dragic for future 1sts, Markieff Morris for a 1st, Bledsoe for a future 1st. He was willing to cut bait on a productive player if he could get a more valuable future draft asset.

Here's the full list of his transactions as GM if one wants to go down memory lane:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/ex ... ry99x.html

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

His trading was better than the crap we were witnessing before he got here... No more turkoglu type misses.
Last edited by BlaCkAdDa on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.