Suns Trade for Tyler Johnson/Wayne Ellington

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns Trade for Tyler Johnson/Wayne Ellington

Post by Mori Chu »

Our front office doesn't care about draft assets. There was that horrendous quote about how you don't get better by drafting college players or whatever it was. I doubt they will be acquiring many picks in the near future. I'm just praying they don't trade away the picks they have.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

How many players on our team did we draft? Most of them? That sounds like they cared about draft assets to me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Jones and Sarver are done (or think they're done) with putting more 19 years old the team....at least after this draft.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:52 am
How many players on our team did we draft? Most of them? That sounds like they cared about draft assets to me.
Of the 15 guys on the roster, we drafted 7

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Yes, that is true. But I'm referring to the recent James Jones comments (don't have the quote handy) where he said they basically aren't scouting college players right now at all and that they think this team won't be made better by drafting players out of college. I hated that quote; it was a gut punch. You always have to care about the draft, whether you're last in the league or gunning for a title.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 am
Nodack wrote:
Yes, that is true. But I'm referring to the recent James Jones comments (don't have the quote handy) where he said they basically aren't scouting college players right now at all and that they think this team won't be made better by drafting players out of college. I hated that quote; it was a gut punch. You always have to care about the draft, whether you're last in the league or gunning for a title.
That's because Sarver fired all their scouts and didn't replace them.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

They probably don’t even know who Zion is

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If we can trade our pick(s) for a really good veteran, I'm all for it. But they still need to prepare in case they have to keep their picks. It's become such a joke of a franchise.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Nodack wrote:
this yr alone, suns gave up on 4 young players: ulis, chriss, len, payton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And rightfully so

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Nodack wrote:
this yr alone, suns gave up on 4 young players: ulis, chriss, len, payton.
Bender too. He’s still here, but they didn’t pick up his option and he’s a UFA this summer.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

They all sucked and not one of them has made the Suns regret their decisions . If anything they should regret not cutting ties sooner while they still had value.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Payton was having a good year with the Pelicans before getting injured. Alex Len isn't anything special, but he is a solid NBA player.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Alex Len is a waste of a roster spot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 pm
He is a fine back up center. He is better than Tyson Chandler, Eric Moreland, Emanuel Terry, Quincy Acy, & Dragan Bender--all guys we have/had on our roster this year playing center.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 am
specialsauce wrote:
He is a fine back up center. He is better than Tyson Chandler, Eric Moreland, Emanuel Terry, Quincy Acy, & Dragan Bender--all guys we have/had on our roster this year playing center.
Holmes is our backup. If you are saying he’s better than players on 10 day contracts as the end of the bench , I’ll agree with that. That’s about it though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd take Holmes as our backup over Len. Undersized, but brings what we need off the bench. Len wouldn't bring that energy/hustle.

Seriously hoping we get Holmes back on a good deal the next 3-4 years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Holmes is our backup. If you are saying he’s better than players on 10 day contracts as the end of the bench , I’ll agree with that. That’s about it though.
I am saying that Len is a serviceable back up center. Holmes is a tenacious player and I love his energy. But it is sill to say that we only need two guys playing the 4/5 position for us all year. Yeah, I know we play TJ there all the time, and even Mikal/KO/JJ there at times. But it is stupid to not have enough guys on our roster to play those positions. Len would certainly have been more helpful that Tyson this year, and would have been needed when both Ayton and Holmes were out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 am
I'd take Holmes as our backup over Len. Undersized, but brings what we need off the bench. Len wouldn't bring that energy/hustle.

Seriously hoping we get Holmes back on a good deal the next 3-4 years.
Me too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I am saying that Len is a serviceable back up center. Holmes is a tenacious player and I love his energy. But it is sill to say that we only need two guys playing the 4/5 position for us all year. Yeah, I know we play TJ there all the time, and even Mikal/KO/JJ there at times. But it is stupid to not have enough guys on our roster to play those positions. Len would certainly have been more helpful that Tyson this year, and would have been needed when both Ayton and Holmes were out.
He’s strictly a 5, just like Ayton and Holmes. True, we could have used him when they were both out, but I’m not going to fret over a 3rd string C.