Game Day: Warriors (38-15) @ Suns (11-45), Fri 2/8/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Warriors (38-15) @ Suns (11-45), Fri 2/8/19

Post by Superbone »

We've got it figured out. Now somebody just has to tell the coach.
"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 am
Agreed. I'd run JJ and even Oubre as point-forward if it means getting Booker out of that role. Book just doesn't have it.

On a side note...I think I enjoy watching these guys more without Booker at the moment.
I don't get to watch every game by any stretch but from what I have seen, I think the team actually has more of an identity without Booker atm - scrappy on defense, move the ball around better on offense. When he comes back some players seem to defer to him (or he just takes over) and the result can be a less cohesive team.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:58 am
It would be nice if we could just incorporate Booker into the offense instead of him taking over the offense.
Yes, a lot of the time the ball sticks when they pass it to him and he kills the shot clock. Nothing kills their offense like lack of ball movement.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Carmelo Booker.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I blame the coaching staff and front office. They are telling Booker to try to be "point Book" which isn't right for him. They are misusing their most talented player. They should take him out of the primary ballhandling role and get him back to moving without the ball, cutting, working with screens, finding open shots. He should be working with a ballhandler who sets up the offense. Start Jackson there, have Melton run it off the bench. When healthy:

Starters: 1Jackson-2Booker-3Bridges-4Warren-5Ayton
Bench: 1(Melton|Crawford)-2(Johnson|Daniels)-3Oubre-4Bender-5Holmes

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:19 am
Entertaining game for 3 1/2 quarters. The Ws clearly didnt have it but they're the kind of team that can literally turn it on whenever they want so you knew it was just a matter of time.

Overall tho, we played hard and mostly smart. There are stretches when we play some really good basketball and then some stretches where we just lose it and breakdown defensively and/or start chucking shots. Even then, a lot, and I mean a lot, of shots didn't fall in the 1st half even when we were getting to the line. Most of the game it felt like we were up 12-15 just off some scoring and momentum and you'd look at we'd be up 1. Still, the defense was there and guys were just flying around the ball.

Jackson, Oubre and Bridges stood out in particular on both ends. I really like the way these guys play and hope we can keep all 3. Jackson thrives as a main ballhandler/slasher. I don't know how you can watch the past 5 games and think he still sucks. Oubre's another two way player and might be out best help defender around the rim. His ballhandling's a lot better than I anticipated. Bridges just plays like a 10 year vet. Super smooth all around.

Bender had a nice pass to Ayton in the lane. 6 rebounds, 5 assists. Noteworthy.

This might've been Ayton's best game as a pro. He brought the energy, went right up against Cousins and I don't think you'll find anyone who thought he lost the matchup. He's a completely different player when he's playing his hardest, bouncing around, fighting for boards and getting touches in the post. He was an impact player in his game.

Tyler Johnson just got off the plane, I'll give him more than 24 hours to evaluate.
+10