Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:43 pm
He doesn't fit well with Ayton-Booker at the 4, but he is really good at the 3. You just need the right 4 to play with them.

We blame him for not playing good defense when he is better at it than either Booker or Ayton, but we are saying he is the problem.

But if we are going to exclusively play him as a 4 like we have this year, we need to move him. We can't win the battles in the paint playing 3 wings with Ayton.
I think you have to choose. If you want to feature Warren as a scorer at the 3, probably should move Booker. If you could move Booker for a real pg who can distribute, score, and defend his position, you could run Bridges as a 3D 2 guard.

If we keep booker though, I think warren becomes pretty strictly a bench scorer. At least if we also want to be a good team.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:36 pm
Well you’d definitely want to add more shooting, but I’d rather add a shooter that does something else too. Like rebound, defend, or pass. If we could get a pg that can hit a 3 and run the offense, I’d take that over Warren.
He scores a lot. Almost 20 a game. That’s not nothing.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Indy wrote:
He doesn't fit well with Ayton-Booker at the 4, but he is really good at the 3. You just need the right 4 to play with them.

We blame him for not playing good defense when he is better at it than either Booker or Ayton, but we are saying he is the problem.

But if we are going to exclusively play him as a 4 like we have this year, we need to move him. We can't win the battles in the paint playing 3 wings with Ayton.
True that.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm
Indy wrote:

I think you have to choose. If you want to feature Warren as a scorer at the 3, probably should move Booker. If you could move Booker for a real pg who can distribute, score, and defend his position, you could run Bridges as a 3D 2 guard.

If we keep booker though, I think warren becomes pretty strictly a bench scorer. At least if we also want to be a good team.
He just can’t play at the 4, i have nothing against him being a 6t man. It depends who we get at PG and PF and how he fits with those guys.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Yea I can live with Booker and Ayton not being great at defense. A score-only SF slotted in at PF making 12mil who regularly misses like 20 games a year when we have 3 other SFs on the roster? Move his ass.
Only if you can get a better option at PF or PG. It makes no sense to move him without getting one of those things back. And not another 3 that we hope can play 4, or a 2 that we hope can play 1.

Split T

Post by Split T »

gosuns wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Well you’d definitely want to add more shooting, but I’d rather add a shooter that does something else too. Like rebound, defend, or pass. If we could get a pg that can hit a 3 and run the offense, I’d take that over Warren.
I agree, I’m not advocating dumping him for nothing. I think we can trade him for someone that better fits our roster.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

According to the latest ESPN Power Rankings:
ESPN: Suns No. 29
Marc J. Spears writes: "As bad as things seem to be for the Suns, the good news is there finally seems to be some stability. There is no potential change in head coach, general manager or even arena on the horizon and they finally have a point guard, Tyler Johnson. Don't be surprised if the Suns play the role of spoiler the rest of the regular season. Foes will take the Suns lightly, but with young stars Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton and other budding talent, they can be competitive."
:roll: :roll: :roll:
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:57 pm
According to the latest ESPN Power Rankings:
ESPN: Suns No. 29
Marc J. Spears writes: "As bad as things seem to be for the Suns, the good news is there finally seems to be some stability. There is no potential change in head coach, general manager or even arena on the horizon and they finally have a point guard, Tyler Johnson. Don't be surprised if the Suns play the role of spoiler the rest of the regular season. Foes will take the Suns lightly, but with young stars Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton and other budding talent, they can be competitive."
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Lol, these national folks must really not watch the Suns at all. Johnson will likely be out of the rotation within several games from now, especially if Melton can be healthy.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:28 pm
ShelC wrote:
Yea I can live with Booker and Ayton not being great at defense. A score-only SF slotted in at PF making 12mil who regularly misses like 20 games a year when we have 3 other SFs on the roster? Move his ass.
Only if you can get a better option at PF or PG. It makes no sense to move him without getting one of those things back. And not another 3 that we hope can play 4, or a 2 that we hope can play 1.
So true. Can the Suns just make a logical move for the first time in a decade?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

For those wanting to keep TJ around, he's going to miss his 11th game in a row with an ankle bruise. Tough as nails that one.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 pm
gosuns wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 pm
Split T wrote:
I agree, I’m not advocating dumping him for nothing. I think we can trade him for someone that better fits our roster.
20 a game for 40 or so games a season when he doesn't have some sort of head injury or bruise keeping him out for long stretches.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm
For those wanting to keep TJ around, he's going to miss his 11th game in a row with an ankle bruise. Tough as nails that one.
Dude in your avatar is starting to develop the same reputation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:04 pm
ShelC wrote:
Yep exactly how I feel.
Yup.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

gosuns wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:29 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm
TJ Warren still out with injury for tomorrow’s game. I think I’m done with him. I love that he figured out how to shoot, but he provides no defense, no rebounding, no playmaking, and he’s always hurt. He’s got value, but I’d trade him this offseason for something more useful. I don’t think he makes sense next to Booker-Ayton.
He and Bridges are the only Suns who kinda consistently hit 3s. I wouldn’t give that up and rather trade Jackson or let Oubre walk.
Agreed. Actually, Jackson should have been moved this deadline.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm

wat

What you need is a real rim protector at PF. The more I think about it, I believe Ayton needs to be used as a PF on defense and a C on offense. Obviously you don't put him alongside a stiff like they did in college. You need a PF with real size and agility, plus defensive instincts.

If we can find that piece, and a real PG, I believe you can play Booker, Warren and Ayton. Otherwise, I agree with you; Warren should take a 6th man role.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I still think that leaves us vulnerable on the perimeter. Who defends the James Harden, Paul George, Kevin Durant, and Lebron Jameses of the world?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:50 am
I still think that leaves us vulnerable on the perimeter. Who defends the James Harden, Paul George, Kevin Durant, and Lebron Jameses of the world?
Nobody. Well, not very well.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't understand this love affair with Warren. Nice player, solid draft pick, developed nicely, but he's not untouchable and I don't think he makes us better as a starting SF or is worth keeping as a scorer off the bench. Truth is, he's a scorer and there are tons of guys who can score.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 am
I don't understand this love affair with Warren. Nice player, solid draft pick, developed nicely, but he's not untouchable and I don't think he makes us better as a starting SF or is worth keeping as a scorer off the bench. Truth is, he's a scorer and there are tons of guys who can score.
Agreed...I'd sell high on him in the offseason to help alleviate the log jam on the wing. Unload him and S&T Oubre if he is going to command 12+ million a year since so many teams will have cap space.