Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Post by Ring_Wanted »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:19 pm
I have not watched a lot. Probably my lowest ever since the NBA became fully avilable to me.

But you know what? I have certainly watched enough. Actually I've watched too much.
I'm at about 5 this year, I'm certainly not a warrior like some of the rest of y'all.
I'm certainly not one one of those hustlers. I've watched only around 15, and some were on and off. To me it became unbearable when I realized we were not ready to take advantage of Ayton. At this point I am focused on the rest of the league. There are too many interesting things going on and we know what PHX is and what is not. A big trade at the deadline would have injected life, but we saw what they did instead. The era of Bledsoe-Kieff, etc was the dumb and ugly ball and it was hard enough to stay. What has followed is the impotence and sterility era on all levels and I can't take it anymore.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That Lowe assessment is spot on. I like JJ's ballhandling ability but not sure how it fits with the team. I like him in the PnR with Ayton and Holmes and have attributed the TOs to youth and inexperience/chemistry but I don't I love him in the starting lineup. I like Oubre or Bridges starting at SF but Jackson, Oubre and Bridges on the floor together have looked very good IMO.

He can probaby carve out a role as a primary ball handler off the bench and sometime starter, but you need shooters to space and athletes to run with him. I wonder if he ends up similar to a guy like John Salmons.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

iirc this isn't the first time Ayton has made this type of comment like he's had enough with the system and about to do his own thing and exert some kinda dominance......
oh well

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1099331224475222016

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

jonh

Post by jonh »

Hes a tough talker, and a really quiet walker.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:44 am
iirc this isn't the first time Ayton has made this type of comment like he's had enough with the system and about to do his own thing and exert some kinda dominance......
oh well

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1099331224475222016

Enough kid. Just shut up and show us.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:18 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
I have not watched a lot. Probably my lowest ever since the NBA became fully avilable to me.

But you know what? I have certainly watched enough. Actually I've watched too much.
I'm at about 5 this year, I'm certainly not a warrior like some of the rest of y'all.
I'm certainly not one one of those hustlers. I've watched only around 15, and some were on and off. To me it became unbearable when I realized we were not ready to take advantage of Ayton. At this point I am focused on the rest of the league. There are too many interesting things going on and we know what PHX is and what is not. A big trade at the deadline would have injected life, but we saw what they did instead. The era of Bledsoe-Kieff, etc was the dumb and ugly ball and it was hard enough to stay. What has followed is the impotence and sterility era on all levels and I can't take it anymore.
Then it’s hard for you to “For the life of me” anything. I’ve watched 90% of the games. The distinction between TJ, JJ, Bridges and Oubre is so, so much more than the box score.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I would LOVE to see Ayton just take over, but I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe we can see him go for 45 & 20, and tell someone else to sub out when Holmes checks in. This of course is fantasy.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Its funny how many people bought into this kids mouth before we drafted him and before the season started, totally disregarding his actual game tape in the process. Whelp.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:45 am
Jackson, Oubre and Bridges on the floor together have looked very good IMO.
I don't know if that is a functional trio. Jackson and Oubre are too erratic from the field for that to be a winning combination.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I agree, one of Jackson/Oubre needs to not be on the floor with the other. Too streaky.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"I like JJ's ballhandling ability but not sure how it fits with the team."

Josh reminds me of a better passing version of Corey Brewer. Both very long, and very erratic shooters.
Josh should be playing in the second unit as a guard, and not be taking so many shots.
And he should NOT be guarding big forwards, as he did so against Cleveland, with disastrous results.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The news here isn't Ayton's words vs. actions. It's that Igor has completely lost the locker room, especially Ayton obviously. Igor must go, at least by the summer. While Ayton could always be more aggressive, he is not really being allowed to dominate, and it's sickening. As I said in another post, the way Igor is using him has to be demoralizing and impacting his effort/engagement in the game.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

About to set a record? You already did, buddy. It's time for you to put up or shut up.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm
About to set a record? You already did, buddy. It's time for you to put up or shut up.
Or better yet, both.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think Josh Jackson can be part of a winning team's starting lineup unless he somehow morphs into a primary ballhandler. I still think the only way we could save him would be to play him as our starting PG. We already do this with Tyler Johnson, who doesn't strike me as being any more athletic nor any better a ballhandler or passer than JJ. Why not just start Jackson there?

Jackson-Booker-Bridges-Warren-Ayton

That lineup is weakest at the PF spot defensively and we won't get any rebounds. But Coachoskov won't play Bender, so we can't really fix our rebounding at the PF spot.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Sad Suns Fan wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 am
Its funny how many people bought into this kids mouth before we drafted him and before the season started, totally disregarding his actual game tape in the process. Whelp.
Didn't he mention he'll have an attitude like Garnett on the floor? This dude is a wuss.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:45 pm
I don't think Josh Jackson can be part of a winning team's starting lineup unless he somehow morphs into a primary ballhandler. I still think the only way we could save him would be to play him as our starting PG. We already do this with Tyler Johnson, who doesn't strike me as being any more athletic nor any better a ballhandler or passer than JJ. Why not just start Jackson there?

Jackson-Booker-Bridges-Warren-Ayton

That lineup is weakest at the PF spot defensively and we won't get any rebounds. But Coachoskov won't play Bender, so we can't really fix our rebounding at the PF spot.
You act like JJ is a finished product.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 pm
Sad Suns Fan wrote:
Didn't he mention he'll have an attitude like Garnett on the floor? This dude is a wuss.
A lot of people were making excuses for his pre-draft deficiencies. Being a "local" is probably the worst thing for the Suns (besides the owner, of course).
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:12 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:18 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

Then it’s hard for you to “For the life of me” anything. I’ve watched 90% of the games. The distinction between TJ, JJ, Bridges and Oubre is so, so much more than the box score.
Man are you telling me I don't know who is who on this team because I have not watched enough? Of course there is more than stats. But honestly I don't know what you mean with the quote. Do you feel attacked or am I missing something?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:06 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 pm
Sad Suns Fan wrote:
A lot of people were making excuses for his pre-draft deficiencies. Being a "local" is probably the worst thing for the Suns (besides the owner, of course).
The two are related in this case, since Sarver is a big UofA supporter.