Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Post by INFORMER »

TJ Warren in attendance to watch Duke vs. NC State.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:11 pm
How about we target players that are more than just bit players? Mirotic, Portis, Randle, Aminu, Jamychael Green, Vonleh, Tobias Harris. Or making a play at a trade for A. Gordon, Dario Saric, maybe Larry Nance. Just examples of some players that actually produce while on the court.
I really like Nance. Saric is a great target too.

Tobias Harris is staying with Philly though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:11 pm
How about we target players that are more than just bit players? Mirotic, Portis, Randle, Aminu, Jamychael Green, Vonleh, Tobias Harris. Or making a play at a trade for A. Gordon, Dario Saric, maybe Larry Nance. Just examples of some players that actually produce while on the court.
I really like Nance. Saric is a great target too.

Tobias Harris is staying with Philly though.
Agreed on Nance and Saric. There are a lot of interesting 4s available this offseason in free agency (if we do not luck out and get Zion, of course). That is the best defense of our not picking up Bender's option, IMO: there are so many likely as-good-or-better replacements available.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would try out Henry Ellenson on a 10-day deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:38 pm
My bad, we gave up 3.6 million in cap space. But now we’ll also have a 19 million dollar expiring contract, instead of 15.6 million dollars of dead money on our books.
The $19 million expiring contract has little value. Cap space for this upcoming offseason is much more valauble; it is a terrific free agent class, and I'm not even referring to the stars that will be available. To compromise any of that cap space for Tyler Johnson is silly.

Secondly, the Suns wouldn't have $15.6 million in dead money. They could have waived an stretched Anderson (like MIami is going to do) and had a cap hit of $5 million for 3 years. That would have cleared $10 million in cap space. So yes, that is significant.
I’m not sure we would have stretched him, even still, we could waive and stretch Tyler Johnson if we really need the cap space. We’d end up with 1.2 million less space in that scenario than yours. I just don’t see this 1 to 3.6 million in space being all that significant. It’d help of course, but I see us making a bigger splash in the trade market than in free agency.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ryan & Co. negotiated with Anderson's agent to reduce the guaranteed money to essentially match Knight's salary. All of that would have been pointless if waive/stretch wasn't planned.

I would be very surprised if Sarver signed off on a waive/stretch of $19 million; $15.6 million was probably hard to swallow to begin with. And if Johnson is a candidate to be waived/stretched, why make the move in the first place? And why even do the song & dance of lauding the value of his expiring deal?
but I see us making a bigger splash in the trade market than in free agency.
I don't get all of this either or nonsense. You have to rely on free agency not the draft. You have to rely on trades over free agency. JUST DO IT ALL. Keep your draft pick. Keep Anderson, waive/stretch, get $10 mil cap space, add three solid players through free agency. Trade Warren and Jackson for two significant pieces. Roster overhaul complete. DONE.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:47 pm
I’m not as down on James Jones as most are here. I do think he has a strong reputation amongst players in the league and that is helpful.
Same exact thing was said about Earl Watson.
To put it in your words, that's a silly statement. So what. They're not the same people doing the same job. The same outcome is not guaranteed.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What has James Jones done that was good? I'll give him credit for signing Jamal Crawford, but Crawford is not part of our future.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

James Jones has been GM for about 4 Months. He hasn’t fixed anything jet, because he hasn’t done anything significant jet. (I would have done even less than what he has done) But he isn’t responsible for this year’s product. This is still all McD’s doing. Inf, why do you want to trade Warren? I would rather keep him over every other wing we have on the roster.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:26 am
What has James Jones done that was good? I'll give him credit for signing Jamal Crawford, but Crawford is not part of our future.
I would say Ariza for Oubre has been a significant upgrade

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:11 am
Ryan & Co. negotiated with Anderson's agent to reduce the guaranteed money to essentially match Knight's salary. All of that would have been pointless if waive/stretch wasn't planned.

I would be very surprised if Sarver signed off on a waive/stretch of $19 million; $15.6 million was probably hard to swallow to begin with. And if Johnson is a candidate to be waived/stretched, why make the move in the first place? And why even do the song & dance of lauding the value of his expiring deal?
I don't get all of this either or nonsense. You have to rely on free agency not the draft. You have to rely on trades over free agency. JUST DO IT ALL. Keep your draft pick. Keep Anderson, waive/stretch, get $10 mil cap space, add three solid players through free agency. Trade Warren and Jackson for two significant pieces. Roster overhaul complete. DONE.
I agree they were planning to waive him...I just don’t think they’d necessarily stretch the contract. That would further add 5 million to the next two season as well. I also don’t think the are waiving and stretching Johnson. Just pointing out that if they determined an extra 12 million in cap space this summer was necessary, they could still have it.

They can still also do it all as you say. We will still have 20ish million in cap space this summer. Could be 28 if we trade our pick. Or 40 if we trade our pick and waive/stretch Johnson.

So sure, 23/31/42 are better numbers than 20/28/40, but I just don’t think it’s significant. And I disagree when you say the expiring contract of Johnson has no value. Let’s say we were to make a move for Conley or someone similar this summer. Having that expiring contract allows us to bring in another big contract without taking all our cap space. We can’t make that trade if we waive/stretch Anderson without using up all our cap space.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:11 am

I agree.

More than anything I would just love if we could go I to a season with a BALANCED roster for the first time in 10 years. A blend of young players and vets, all 5 positions accounted for appropriately with the talent pool spread through those positions.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
That was an accident. He was trying to get Dillon Brooks.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
That was an accident. He was trying to get Dillon Brooks.
And he ended up with Oubre without having to add anything to the trade.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Cap wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:03 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:35 am
Give me Charles Xavier at GM. Stark sounds like a good owner, but would he be able to let the GM do his job? Fury president of bbal operations. Hawkeye director of scouting haha. Romanov in broadcasting please. Or coach heheh.
Professor X can “coach” the opposing team. :twisted:
Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 pm
Nah. You guys are forgetting about Dr. Strange. Put him in at GM and we win the championship every year for the rest of our lives.
Poor guy would have to watch every season 14 million times to find the one way to win.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:47 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:03 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:35 am
Give me Charles Xavier at GM. Stark sounds like a good owner, but would he be able to let the GM do his job? Fury president of bbal operations. Hawkeye director of scouting haha. Romanov in broadcasting please. Or coach heheh.
Professor X can “coach” the opposing team. :twisted:
Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 pm
Nah. You guys are forgetting about Dr. Strange. Put him in at GM and we win the championship every year for the rest of our lives.
Poor guy would have to watch every season 14 million times to find the one way to win.

So you're saying there's a chance?
Yup. If you can get better than 14 million-to-one odds on a championship bet next season, take it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:13 am
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
I’m not as down on James Jones as most are here. I do think he has a strong reputation amongst players in the league and that is helpful.
To put it in your words, that's a silly statement. So what. They're not the same people doing the same job. The same outcome is not guaranteed.
I think his point is nobody was saying Watson was a good coach. Nobody said he was a great defensive mind. Nobody said he was a great offensive mind. Nobody said he was great at in-game adjustments. Nobody said he was great at game-planning for teams. They said he was influenced a lot by John Wooden and had a lot of respect from players around the league for his positive attitude.

Nobody is saying Jones understands the cap. Nobody is saying he is great at putting together teams. Nobody is saying that he is even allowed to make decisions on his own. All they are saying is that he won a championship playing with Lebron James, and players around the league respect him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:13 am
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
I think his point is nobody was saying Watson was a good coach. Nobody said he was a great defensive mind. Nobody said he was a great offensive mind. Nobody said he was great at in-game adjustments. Nobody said he was great at game-planning for teams. They said he was influenced a lot by John Wooden and had a lot of respect from players around the league for his positive attitude.

Nobody is saying Jones understands the cap. Nobody is saying he is great at putting together teams. Nobody is saying that he is even allowed to make decisions on his own. All they are saying is that he won a championship playing with Lebron James, and players around the league respect him.
Bucstein is the cap guy. We don't know yet whether Jones is great at putting teams together. We don't know if he's allowed to make his own decisions. Our opening roster for the 2019 season will tell us a lot.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I realize we don't know. That is the point. Nobody knows because he has never tried before. If I were running a billion dollar business, I would have at least one person on my staff that has a good track record of building teams. S/he may not have to be the boss, but they would be there. We don't have that. Hell, we don't have much of a staff left either. We are running a billion dollar business with mostly open roles and inexperienced people. We just did this Watson as coach, and a ton of other guys at PG. It usually doesn't end well when you expect world-class performance from inexperienced people.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm
I realize we don't know. That is the point. Nobody knows because he has never tried before. If I were running a billion dollar business, I would have at least one person on my staff that has a good track record of building teams. S/he may not have to be the boss, but they would be there. We don't have that. Hell, we don't have much of a staff left either. We are running a billion dollar business with mostly open roles and inexperienced people. We just did this Watson as coach, and a ton of other guys at PG. It usually doesn't end well when you expect world-class performance from inexperienced people.
It really is insane and infuriating.