Around the League: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:28 am
LeBron is preparing to become an owner. Let's hope he buys the Suns. Anyone would be better it seems.
Nooo...then James Jones would be GM for life. :lol:
Good point, but maybe Jones could actually make a difference then.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

It's not like Jordan is a good owner...

Indy

Post by Indy »

NO just fired their GM. Hmmm.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't think it'll make a difference in keeping Davis, but they must not have faith in his ability to make the best deal possible.

This deal will probably set the course for the franchise for the the foreseeable future, so it's important that they get it right.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Demps has been pretty bad.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:13 pm
Yeah, I'm not interested in being down in the Demps.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:12 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Yeah, I'm not interested in being down in the Demps.
Hey, Demps the breaks!

In seriousness, who are the Suns going to go after as their next GM? Do you think Griffin would be a good choice? Would he even return our phone call? What about Bryan Colangelo? Sam Hinkie?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m pretty sure it’s James Jones job for at least a year, Sarver is gonna let him try and build a team. How we start next season could be huge for Jones. Be really curious if he goes and gets his own coach this offseason as well. He was here when Igor was hired, but wasn’t in charge.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm
I’m pretty sure it’s James Jones job for at least a year, Sarver is gonna let him try and build a team. How we start next season could be huge for Jones. Be really curious if he goes and gets his own coach this offseason as well. He was here when Igor was hired, but wasn’t in charge.
The Trevor Ariza thing was a fiasco. Our draft picks have been crap. Honestly, so bad that using a dartboard with 10 potential 1st round picks would yield better results than Bender, Len, Chriss, Earl, etc...
Last edited by Wormwood on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I have the complete expectations that Jones is going to get the interim tag taken off. The team hasn't performed well at all, but all his trades and signings have been pretty decent. He's done nothing to make big changes, but he expects that it will change pretty fast when he executes his plan this off-season.

If it was up to me, I would try to put together a brain trust like Jerry had when he left and put together a great team of guys throughout all levels of the organization to fix this. Bring back Jerry, Bryan, Griff, and let them make hires they need to. They could give Jones the title of GM, but have a committee that worked with him. Sell it as an opportunity to turn this around and build something that could be sustainable.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:44 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm
The Trevor Ariza thing was a fiasco. Our draft picks have been crap. Honestly, so bad that using a dartboard with 10 potential 1st round picks would yield better results than Bender, Len, Chriss, Earl, etc...
We’ve had some bad picks, but we’ve had some good ones too. Why did you leave out warren, booker, Jackson, Ayton, and Bridges?

Also, not sure what this had to do with my post. McD was in charge of all of that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:44 pm
I have the complete expectations that Jones is going to get the interim tag taken off. The team hasn't performed well at all, but all his trades and signings have been pretty decent. He's done nothing to make big changes, but he expects that it will change pretty fast when he executes his plan this off-season.

If it was up to me, I would try to put together a brain trust like Jerry had when he left and put together a great team of guys throughout all levels of the organization to fix this. Bring back Jerry, Bryan, Griff, and let them make hires they need to. They could give Jones the title of GM, but have a committee that worked with him. Sell it as an opportunity to turn this around and build something that could be sustainable.
I also think Jones will be the GM or President or whatever but not because of anything great he's done. It's just the way we operate. I'd love to see Sarver make some waves and hire a legit exec with some clout who can turn things around asap and restore credibility back to the club. But I don't see that happening so I'll just hope Jones has a vision and plan on how to shape this roster and add talent in the right places. Maybe his name and reputation will get him some meetings with FAs we might not otherwise get. Maybe he has relationships with agents that will be beneficial. Hoping for the best for now.

SDC

Post by SDC »

O_Gardino wrote:
demps got boogie by not giving up much in return. same thing with mirotic.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:28 am
O_Gardino wrote:
demps got boogie by not giving up much in return. same thing with mirotic.
Turns out Hield was a good piece for half a years worth of Boogie.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, that doesn’t look like such a bad trade, Hield struggled as a rookie, but he’s proven to be an elite shooter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:56 am
Ya, that doesn’t look like such a bad trade, Hield struggled as a rookie, but he’s proven to be an elite shooter.
Dang, if only we'd had an opportunity to draft a player like him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s the guy I really feel we missed on. I had him #3 in that draft after Simmons and Ingram. He was older, but was a real special player his senior year at Oklahoma. I’m not surprised he’s become a very good player. We showed zero interest in him though...pretty set on a pf that draft.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 pm
He’s the guy I really feel we missed on. I had him #3 in that draft after Simmons and Ingram. He was older, but was a real special player his senior year at Oklahoma. I’m not surprised he’s become a very good player. We showed zero interest in him though...pretty set on a pf that draft.
When you are a shitty team picking in the top 10, why would you ever draft "for need" instead of BPA? Especially two "for need" picks in the top 10 in the same draft...

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Split T wrote:
When you are a s*** team picking in the top 10, why would you ever draft "for need" instead of BPA? Especially two "for need" picks in the top 10 in the same draft...
I’m sure we didn’t see Booker and Hield being able to play with each other. Booker was coming off a promising rookie year, but he looked like a pure 2. Hield was older and had showed no real ability to play the 1 either. It was the wrong decision and I didn’t agree with it at the time, but I understood going for Bender over Hield. Turns out Bender was just evaluated incorrectly.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Split T wrote:
When you are a s*** team picking in the top 10, why would you ever draft "for need" instead of BPA? Especially two "for need" picks in the top 10 in the same draft...
I’m sure we didn’t see Booker and Hield being able to play with each other. Booker was coming off a promising rookie year, but he looked like a pure 2. Hield was older and had showed no real ability to play the 1 either. It was the wrong decision and I didn’t agree with it at the time, but I understood going for Bender over Hield. Turns out Bender was just evaluated incorrectly.
I understand what you are saying, but I think my question still stands. When you suck, why draft for need? Take the best player.