The polarization of Devin Booker

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Vladimir_Taltos

Re: The polarization of Devin Booker

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm
PUT SOME PLAYERS AROUND HIM. LIKE A FULL TEAM WITH PGS, PFS AND EVERYTHING!

What do you mean, "everything?" ...EVERYTHING!!!
AMen...best summary statement of truth after Uncle Gene...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm
PUT SOME PLAYERS AROUND HIM. LIKE A FULL TEAM WITH PGS, PFS AND EVERYTHING!

What do you mean, "everything?" ...EVERYTHING!!!
AMen...best summary statement of truth after Uncle Gene...
Thanks, Vlad. Come by more often! How's life treating you?
"Be Legendary."

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:02 am
Ayton is not passive in that context. He recognizes double teams very well and reacts quickly passing the ball. You can build a scheme to play inside out around him if you put three guys who shoot and move without the ball while Booker generates pressure on his own.
Very clearly the coach is asking Ayton to set screens continuously for our below average swings to let them create the offense. Why? The only explanation is he is clueless.
This is just not true. I'll leave this here: https://stats.nba.com/players/touches/? ... CHES&dir=1
5th in the league in paint touches. 8th in elbow touches. 13th in post-ups. Doesn't count the terrible passes to him that are attempted and failed. He is not ignored. He is a rookie that needs experience and more strength. He doesn't fight for or hold position well (post-ups stat). His conditioning is a little suspect. He will learn and get a stronger base. It is not an easy position to play. "Coach should just build the offense around Ayton" would give us fewer wins this season. He can defend better at the rim. He can get offensive rebounds and putbacks. Those are on him and not on the scheme. There is more that he can, should, and will be doing. I love the guy, but let's be realistic.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

azsportsfan wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 am
specialsauce wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Ayton is not passive in that context. He recognizes double teams very well and reacts quickly passing the ball. You can build a scheme to play inside out around him if you put three guys who shoot and move without the ball while Booker generates pressure on his own.
Very clearly the coach is asking Ayton to set screens continuously for our below average swings to let them create the offense. Why? The only explanation is he is clueless.
This is just not true. I'll leave this here: https://stats.nba.com/players/touches/? ... CHES&dir=1
5th in the league in paint touches. 8th in elbow touches. 13th in post-ups. Doesn't count the terrible passes to him that are attempted and failed. He is not ignored. He is a rookie that needs experience and more strength. He doesn't fight for or hold position well (post-ups stat). His conditioning is a little suspect. He will learn and get a stronger base. It is not an easy position to play. "Coach should just build the offense around Ayton" would give us fewer wins this season. He can defend better at the rim. He can get offensive rebounds and putbacks. Those are on him and not on the scheme. There is more that he can, should, and will be doing. I love the guy, but let's be realistic.
If you don’t think coach has him setting screen after screen after screen from the three point line, you’re reading the box score and not watching the games. I just don’t have any other way to explain it.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

And when he is at the three-point line setting screens or picks, he can't even get to the offensive rebounds a lot of times.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

azsportsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
I 100% agree with the bold part.

But I want to point out that that paint touches stat doesn't mean exactly what you are using it for. It includes offensive rebounds, and you'll notice that all the guys on the top of that list are strong offensive rebounders. They are all guys who get most or all of their points in the pick and roll and on putbacks. In fact, the first guy on that list who I would say is the cornerstone of the team's offense is AD, and he's 9th. So, yeah, Ayton gets a lot of touches in the paint, but that's not because we are featuring his post game. It's because he gets offensive rebounds and lobs. He gets those touches when someone else draws defenders. We don't send him to the post and ask him to draw defenders.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 pm
azsportsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
I 100% agree with the bold part.

But I want to point out that that paint touches stat doesn't mean exactly what you are using it for. It includes offensive rebounds, and you'll notice that all the guys on the top of that list are strong offensive rebounders. They are all guys who get most or all of their points in the pick and roll and on putbacks. In fact, the first guy on that list who I would say is the cornerstone of the team's offense is AD, and he's 9th. So, yeah, Ayton gets a lot of touches in the paint, but that's not because we are featuring his post game. It's because he gets offensive rebounds and lobs. He gets those touches when someone else draws defenders. We don't send him to the post and ask him to draw defenders.
Looking at nba.com does not tell the same story as watching the games. Bottom line.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

I watch every single game. Start to finish. If you think Ayton is ready to be the focus of the team, that's fine by me. I think many are upset that our prize pick lacks motor and drive. If you think changing coaches makes Ayton play harder or smarter I don't know what to tell you. No matter how Ayton is getting the touches - what is he doing with them? I do have to laugh though if you think the coach is telling him to stand around at the three point line. Set a good screen and go. He is just not as good as we want him to be. I hope that changes with time and practice.