Where do we stand on Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who would you pick knowing what we now right now?

Sticking with Ayton
30%
Switching from Ayton to Doncic
25%
Always was a Doncic guy
45%
Switching from Doncic to Ayton
No votes
I’d take Bagley and/or JJJ over Ayton now too
No votes

Total votes: 20

Split T

Where do we stand on Ayton

Post by Split T »

I don’t recall exactly, but there was a decent amount of support for Ayton and Doncic on the board predraft. If the draft could be redone what would your pick be now?

JeremyG

Re: Where do we stand on Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

I was always for Ayton and still am. I just would not have picked Doncic's coach to coach Ayton if I knew I was picking Ayton and not Doncic. Dumbest decision of the offseason. Igor clearly has no clue how to use Ayton.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

jonh

Post by jonh »

I was a big Doncic fan last summer, and I still am. But I don't want to spend the next several years groaning over what could have been. I like several things around Ayton, and we can build around him. Thats all that matters.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s a good point, we’ve got Ayton and we can’t go back...I’m just trying to come up with ways to stay engaged with this team, even if it’s pointless.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I think I lost by last bit of hope and love when the Suns passed on a one in a million fated opportunity for the perfect player for the classic Suns system (available the first and only time we get a #1) and we didn't even try. I've been disgusted with this team since the second they gave Bledsoe that big contract and gave up completely when they whiffed that pick. Fucking pathetic. Suns deserve what they get at this point.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

In the long run I think Ayton will be more impactful so I'm still on board with the pick.

I think besides his being to passive with the ball at time the problem is that Igor has been more committed to a system, rather than adapting his system to his player's strengths.

And defensively, this team is a gigantic clusterfuck. So Ayton (who doesn't have defensive instincts to begin with) is hung out to dry when he goes to help on defense.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Ayton might be to slow for today s NBA. But i still have hope for him. Amare had a very similar Rookie Season if i recall well and he at least became a monster on offense. He won rookie of the year because he didn’t have any challenger for the award. I wanted Doncic but Ayton has surprised me positively. Ayton needs time to develop and he needs a better help around him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

gosuns wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:50 pm
Ayton might be to slow for today s NBA. But i still have hope for him. Amare had a very similar Rookie Season if i recall well and he at least became a monster on offense. He won rookie of the year because he didn’t have any challenger for the award. I wanted Doncic but Ayton has surprised me positively. Ayton needs time to develop and he needs a better help around him.
Amare was aggressive from day 1. Not even just aggressive but super aggressive. Huge difference there.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah. Ayton has been more productive statistically, but Amare flashed superstardom from day one. He had "it." He made an impact. In those aspects, he was light years ahead of Ayton.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Of course Amare was surrounded by guys like Marion, Marbury, Hardaway, Gugliotta, J.Johnson, and Bo Outlaw. He was a young guy (along with Johnson) among veterans.

Ayton doesn't have that luxury.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:48 pm
I think I lost by last bit of hope and love when the Suns passed on a one in a million fated opportunity for the perfect player for the classic Suns system (available the first and only time we get a #1) and we didn't even try. I've been disgusted with this team since the second they gave Bledsoe that big contract and gave up completely when they whiffed that pick. f*** pathetic. Suns deserve what they get at this point.
Good to see you, P219. I think I feel similarly to you that we should have picked Doncic. He was a clear best player in the draft IMO. You can't pass on a guy like that just because some pretty-good big man is also available. Ayton is a solid center so far, but I still think Doncic was the right choice and that we blew it. I don't have a time machine so I have to support the guys we have. But I can't help but think we lost a chance to change the direction of our franchise.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

We are in that rarified realm of dumb decisions, standing next to great draft choices like Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.

We should have drafted Doncic and signed Dragic.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 pm
We are in that rarified realm of dumb decisions, standing next to great draft choices like Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.

We should have drafted Doncic and signed Dragic.
Welcome back 219!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:00 pm
Of course Amare was surrounded by guys like Marion, Marbury, Hardaway, Gugliotta, J.Johnson, and Bo Outlaw. He was a young guy (along with Johnson) among veterans.

Gugliotta and Hardaway were done. Joe Johnson was playing on the same level Josh Jackson is playing now; he was a young player then. Marion and Marbury were established players, so you have a point there. And certainly Marbury was better than anything we are running at point right now. But I don't think any of that impacted who Amare was. He just had a different mindset; he had a different aggression and a different drive/thirst for greatness.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

gosuns wrote:
Can you imagine Ayton with Amares aggression? Dreamings free.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:04 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Gugliotta and Hardaway were done. Joe Johnson was playing on the same level Josh Jackson is playing now; he was a young player then. Marion and Marbury were established players, so you have a point there. And certainly Marbury was better than anything we are running at point right now. But I don't think any of that impacted who Amare was. He just had a different mindset; he had a different aggression and a different drive/thirst for greatness.
That's exactly the metaphor I have been looking for with regards to Josh Jackson.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:06 pm
gosuns wrote:
Can you imagine Ayton with Amares aggression? Dreamings free.
Not Amare but perhaps David Robinson is a reasonable comparison.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Regarding the question that was asked -- I was all about BOTH Ayton and Doncic. Pick up Ayton and do whatever necessary to pick up the #2 or the #3, including sending out future picks, MIL, MIA, etc. And it retrospect, it was totally doable.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:42 pm
Yeah. Ayton has been more productive statistically, but Amare flashed superstardom from day one. He had "it." He made an impact. In those aspects, he was light years ahead of Ayton.
That's pretty much how I explained it to a friend I was visiting last weekend. I put it in the context of Amare wanting to kill people out there. Before he had developed his offensive skills, all Amare wanted to do was embarrass his defender with his superior physical abilities. Ayton has all of those same gifts, but 10% of the killer instinct of Amare.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.