James Jones - Future GM or No?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

James Jones - Future GM or No?

Post by Superbone »

I don't think we have enough information yet. He hasn't had one off-season on his own. I think we need to see what happens after this season before we evaluate him as a GM. If we don't have a competent PG and PF to start game one of the 2019-2020 season, then he hasn't done his job. We should also have at least one or two other new players that are near their prime. Thoughts?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Re: James Jones - Future GM or No?

Post by Split T »

I mentioned in an earlier thread, I think James Jones is not experienced enough for the job and I’d be open to hiring an experienced gm this summer, but I highly doubt Sarver does that. Jones hasn’t done or not done anything to make me think he’s a bad gm. I’m willing to wait and see how he does this summer before calling him a bad gm.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

As has been mentioned in other threads - he really meets just the one most important qualification - he's willing to put up with Sarver's meddling, so he'll stick around until he becomes the scapegoat (deserved or not) when Sarver gets to the point where he feels he has to make a change.
Last edited by The Bobster on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My take on Jones so far:

- Buying out Chandler was mildly stupid; we could have used that contract later and the Lakers wanted him, among others. Should have kept him.

- The Crawford signing was fine; not a huge impact, but it was low-risk, and Crawford has had some good games and moments.

- The Ariza for Oubre trade was a win for us, IMO, though it's hard to say what the final effect will be until this offseason when we see whether we keep Oubre or not (and at what price).

- The trade deadline was unimpressive. Jones didn't manage to swing us any deals to improve the team, and arguably the Johnson trade hurt us by tying up a few mil of cap space next year.

So in summary Jones hasn't done anything disastrous, but he also has missed some opportunities where a savvier GM might have made our team better. Seems pretty "meh" to me. I guess we'll know more after we see how Jones runs this offseason.

I'm pessimistic because of Jones's comments about how college players aren't going to make this team better; that sounds to me like a guy who isn't looking at the draft, isn't prioritizing scouting, isn't going to know what to do in June when we get our lottery pick, and is likely to just trade away the pick for some marginal veteran or will draft the wrong guy. I'm pretty worried about this actually. I'm also worried that if this is how Jones feels about the draft, he will not seek out transactions that bring us valuable future 1st round draft picks, and may in fact include our future 1sts as throw-ins to get deals done. So I'm worried he'll squander our valuable draft assets if he doesn't recognize their value. We'll see.

TOO

Post by TOO »

No.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

No. We need an experienced GM.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Sign David Griffin and get out of the way. Only way to salvage this heaping pile of crap.

SDC

Post by SDC »

chu, getting younger wont help this team in general.

trade for lonzo, or trade booker for mccollum.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:49 pm

I don't think we need to "get younger" to help our team. I just want us to recognize the value of draft assets, which is quite high. I don't want our front office to dump off young players or picks that are very valuable, especially not just as throw-ins on trades. I also don't want our FO to ignore the draft. There are going to be some great players in the draft every year, and if we have the right staff, we can find them. We should be doing that, not talking about how the draft is hooey and won't help our team.

SDC

Post by SDC »

there are players with potential in the draft.
but
i d trade the pick for an established quality player.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 pm
hire this guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlVic40117560
Who is that guy?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

SDC wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Problem isn't with drafting young guys, the problem is who we are drafting and signing in FA to compliment our young guys. I know I'm beating a dead horse on this site but our front office has clearly demonstrated their inability to construct a team properly. So with that being said, whatever route we go we will fail miserably at until Sarver goes. He is the one remaining denominator in this shit team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s one of Brian colangelo’s burner accounts

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Why weren’t those accounts deleted? Lol.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:07 pm
Sign David Griffin and get out of the way. Only way to salvage this heaping pile of crap.
OK. What has David Griffin done? LeBron was a gift. Everything else was in place already. All he did in Cleveland was cave to Rich Paul and give stupidly large contracts to mediocre players because LeBron wanted it.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
OK. What has David Griffin done? LeBron was a gift. Everything else was in place already. All he did in Cleveland was cave to Rich Paul and give stupidly large contracts to mediocre players because LeBron wanted it.
He has GM experience, he cut his teeth here as an assistant GM. He has history with the organisation. Who do you have in mind since you're critical of my suggestion?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:30 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
He has GM experience, he cut his teeth here as an assistant GM. He has history with the organisation. Who do you have in mind since you're critical of my suggestion?
I’d be supportive of hiring Griff as well. Let him keep Jones and Bukstein around.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I don't want Jones responsible for making a single move past the end of the season. For a complete rebuild you should have an experienced GM.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know if Griffin is a great GM. He seems ... solid, experienced. I don't have a perfect memory of what exactly he did, what major transactions he made. Is there any way to easily look up a GM's complete list of transactions?