Suns News: Week 20 2/25-3/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 20 2/25-3/3

Post by Superbone »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2613 ... ucks-again
The Phoenix Suns rallied from a 10-point, fourth-quarter deficit to beat the NBA-best Bucks 114-105 on Monday night, becoming the first team to defeat Milwaukee multiple times this season.

Kelly Oubre Jr. had 27 points and 13 rebounds, Devin Booker added 22 points and Deandre Ayton had 19 points and 12 rebounds, including a key layup with 35.8 seconds to play that gave the league-worst Suns a four-point lead.
The Suns were 13.5-point underdogs in both their games against the Bucks this season. Only once in the past 25 regular seasons did one team beat another team multiple times in a season as an underdog of at least 13 points. The Chicago Bulls did it against the Los Angeles Lakers in 2001-02.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:09 pm
I don't know, In2; saying Rozier isn't an upgrade over Tyler Johnson is somewhat laughable.
If I’m choosing between Johnson for one year at $20M or Rozier for 3-4 years at around $15M per year, I’m going with the former. They’re both backup level PGs.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
I don't know, In2; saying Rozier isn't an upgrade over Tyler Johnson is somewhat laughable.
I meant to say that it isn't MUCH of an upgrade. They have very similar stats across the board and if I upgrade, I would want to make it much more significant.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:21 am
INFORMER wrote:
If I’m choosing between Johnson for one year at $20M or Rozier for 3-4 years at around $15M per year, I’m going with the former. They’re both backup level PGs.
Yes, dollar for dollar I agree. I wouldn't want either, except as an backup and certainly not at that price.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

From Brewhoop, the Bucks' blog on SBNation:
DeAndre Ayton had 19 points and 12 rebounds, but I can’t for the life of me understand why he still only got 13 shots for the night.
Yup.

https://www.brewhoop.com/2019/3/4/18250 ... rch-4-2019

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I love his face up 15footer. That FT line extended shot is so smooth. So is his 10-12ft baseline jumper. Shades of Ewing/TimD.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

1) Aytons finish at the end reminded me Amare. Not many guys can take that type of contact and still finish.

2) Oubre is my favorite player since Dragic.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:57 am
2) Oubre is my favorite player since Dragic.
The guy is infectious. It appears to rub off on his teammates too.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

My new plan if we don’t land #1

Pick swap with either NO or Memphis for Jrue or Conley....add whatever you need to from Tyler Johnson, Warren, Jackson, okobo, Mil pick.

Not sure Jrue will be available at all, but NO may not be willing to pick swap...unless we’re #2 and they love RJ.

With Memphis I wouldn’t offer the Mil pick and I’d make them take Tyler Johnson. Conley is older and has a big contract...I wouldn’t use up all our cap space just to fit Conley in.

Let’s say by some miracle, we trade #2, Tyler Johnson, Josh Jackson, Elie Okobo and the Mil pick for #11 and Jrue Holiday.

I’d retain the rights to Oubre and we’d have some space to go sign a 4...I think in the 15 million range. That won’t get Harris...maybe Mirotic or Randle...Thad Young or Jamychal Green could be options.

Then draft a 4 of the future at 11(DeAndre Hunter, Brandon Clarke, Grant Williams, PJ Washington)

Jrue, Booker, Oubre, Young, Ayton with
Melton, Bridges, Warren, Clarke, Holmes off the bench

If NO wants warren instead of Jackson, just switch them.
Same essential construct of a deal with Memphis for Conley would work as well.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:53 am
My new plan if we don’t land #1

Pick swap with either NO or Memphis for Jrue or Conley....add whatever you need to from Tyler Johnson, Warren, Jackson, okobo, Mil pick.

Not sure Jrue will be available at all, but NO may not be willing to pick swap...unless we’re #2 and they love RJ.

With Memphis I wouldn’t offer the Mil pick and I’d make them take Tyler Johnson. Conley is older and has a big contract...I wouldn’t use up all our cap space just to fit Conley in.

Let’s say by some miracle, we trade #2, Tyler Johnson, Josh Jackson, Elie Okobo and the Mil pick for #11 and Jrue Holiday.

I’d retain the rights to Oubre and we’d have some space to go sign a 4...I think in the 15 million range. That won’t get Harris...maybe Mirotic or Randle...Thad Young or Jamychal Green could be options.

Then draft a 4 of the future at 11(DeAndre Hunter, Brandon Clarke, Grant Williams, PJ Washington)

Jrue, Booker, Oubre, Young, Ayton with
Melton, Bridges, Warren, Clarke, Holmes off the bench

If NO wants warren instead of Jackson, just switch them.
Same essential construct of a deal with Memphis for Conley would work as well.
If New Orleans won the lottery and we got the second pick, the Pelicans could come away from the draft with a young nucleus of Zion, Barrett and Jason Tatum. That's pretty intriguing.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

watching the game the body language of the guys just seemed different
even when we were down , wasn't pouting (Devin been guilty of this) and I'm fairly certain I haven't seen so much smiling/laughing. just found it interesting and was wondering if the guys rallying around each other with the media bashing Suns took last week or so cause obviously they would be aware.
I mean the guys were jumping with hands raised at the buzzer :) and we don't have any rivalry with Bucks. it just seemed like they wanted to prove a point against the best team in the league, kinda late in the season but hey I'm very interested to see how we play against another bottom feeder
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:19 pm
watching the game the body language of the guys just seemed different
even when we were down , wasn't pouting (Devin been guilty of this) and I'm fairly certain I haven't seen so much smiling/laughing. just found it interesting and was wondering if the guys rallying around each other with the media bashing Suns took last week or so cause obviously they would be aware.
I mean the guys were jumping with hands raised at the buzzer :) and we don't have any rivalry with Bucks. it just seemed like they wanted to prove a point against the best team in the league, kinda late in the season but hey I'm very interested to see how we play against another bottom feeder
I think we do have a little rivalry thanks to one Eric Bledsoe. He was yelling at our bench throughout the game and he and Booker were going at it.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

As I post, 97% of voters want Oubre back

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

http://arizonasports.com/story/1863423/ ... ee-agency/
Suns’ Oubre on impending RFA status: ‘Why would I go anywhere else?

“Why would I go anywhere else?” Oubre said when asked if Phoenix was his preferred destination across the entire NBA. “I’m here, I’m getting established and I’m not a guy that really wants to be on a million teams in my tenure in the league and I just want to create a dynasty and a legacy here in Phoenix with [Deandre Ayton], [Devin Booker], [Mikal Bridges], all the guys in the locker room. It’s beautiful.”

In 34 games for the Suns, Oubre is averaging 16.0 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.0 blocks and 1.3 steals a game. A recent move into the starting lineup paid off on Monday when he had 27 points and 13 rebounds in a win over the Milwaukee Bucks.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

Who'da thunk Kelly Oubre of all people would have a positive impact on the Suns. Its really too bad he plays the same position as Bridges/Jackson/Warren. 2 of the group need to go.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Oubre and Bridges is who I’d keep

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Sad Suns Fan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm
Who'da thunk Kelly Oubre of all people would have a positive impact on the Suns. Its really too bad he plays the same position as Bridges/Jackson/Warren. 2 of the group need to go.
A good bet is TJ is gone in a trade in the offseason.
If the Suns are smart (a scary proposition) they'll shut him down for the rest of the season in order to not mess with the current chemistry.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Not sure why we'd trade TJ. According to a few on here, he's extremely valuable for his high shooting percentage and increased 3 point % 30-45 games a season. Those nagging sore ankles and concussions seem to derail his ability to stay on the court. But he's just so darn valuable.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Oubre and Bridges are perfect 3&D glue guys. OTOH, TJ doesn't do much defensively and JJ is way too inconsistent offensively.

In a perfect situation I'd only move JJ because I think TJ is an elite 6th man, and I want to believe he'd be playing right now if the team were in a playoff spot battle.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If suns keep Oubre, as it seems like we will, here’s our cap breakdown. I’m assuming we keep Holmes as well as his cap hold is just 1.6 million.

Without draft picks, we’ve got 17 million in space.
Our 1st round pick drops us to anywhere from roughly 8.8(if we land #1) to 12.1(if we land 6)