Suns News: Week 20 2/25-3/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: Week 20 2/25-3/3

Post by O_Gardino »

Regarding Oubre, I love the guy's activity on defense, and I love how active he is around the basket. Obvs he's great on the break, and his energy is infectious.

He's got a couple of things going for him with this squad: He knows how to scramble and make plays when the offense or defense scheme breaks down, and he knows how to take advantage of the mismatch when he has a big man on him. Those situations happen a lot with this squad.

Is he as good next year if get a legit PF? And, what's the value proposition of keeping some combo of Oubre, Warren , and Bridges? I think Oubre is the most valuable of the 3 this season, but Bridges can eclipse him next year, especially if we get a better PG and a real PF.

All that might be moot. We've got 4 SFs, and I think you might have to trade any of them that other teams want. If someone really wants Bridges or Oubre in exchange for a legit player, that's the guy I send in a trade.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 am
Regarding Oubre, I love the guy's activity on defense, and I love how active he is around the basket. Obvs he's great on the break, and his energy is infectious.

He's got a couple of things going for him with this squad: He knows how to scramble and make plays when the offense or defense scheme breaks down, and he knows how to take advantage of the mismatch when he has a big man on him. Those situations happen a lot with this squad.

Is he as good next year if get a legit PF? And, what's the value proposition of keeping some combo of Oubre, Warren , and Bridges? I think Oubre is the most valuable of the 3 this season, but Bridges can eclipse him next year, especially if we get a better PG and a real PF.

All that might be moot. We've got 4 SFs, and I think you might have to trade any of them that other teams want. If someone really wants Bridges or Oubre in exchange for a legit player, that's the guy I send in a trade.
Yup. Re-signing Oubre makes sense only if we can trade Warren and/or Jackson for help at a position of need. And “re-sign first, figure out a trade later” is a dangerous tactic. You need to have a trade or agreement in place first.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Are you kidding me? After losing a franchise record 17 games in a row, we've won 4 out of the last 5 including beating LeBron and the Lakers and then the NBA leading Bucks? Crazy. OK, I hope the karma gods aren't going to strike me down but I think we finally hit our rock bottom and are on our way out of the hole. Gives me some optimism going forward. Especially, if we can get an experienced basketball guy to join the front office soonish.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am
Are you kidding me? After losing a franchise record 17 games in a row, we've won 4 out of the last 5 including beating LeBron and the Lakers and then the NBA leading Bucks? Crazy. OK, I hope the karma gods aren't going to strike me down but I think we finally hit our rock bottom and are on our way out of the hole. Gives me some optimism going forward. Especially, if we can get an experienced basketball guy to join the front office soonish.
The next 4 games will test this group.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

jonh

Post by jonh »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:19 am
Superbone wrote:
I dont have any expectations of the Suns beating good teams on the road. Im just grateful to have the last few games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:40 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:19 am
Superbone wrote:
I dont have any expectations of the Suns beating good teams on the road. Im just grateful to have the last few games.
Yep, me either. I just want to see us continue to be competitive and not get blown out.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Oubre is definitely expecting to get paid. He even told the Burns and Gambo show this week that he considers himself to be a “superstar” player and that he’s trying to show he’s worth that type of money! :lol: He basically admitted that he’s playing for a contract.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:43 pm
Oubre is definitely expecting to get paid. He even told the Burns and Gambo show this week that he considers himself to be a “superstar” player and that he’s trying to show he’s worth that type of money! :lol: He basically admitted that he’s playing for a contract.
It'll be interesting to see how much he commands this summer. He can feel he is worth that kind of money, but its all about what the external market thinks.

carey

Post by carey »

Lots of teams have money this Summer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

How about signing Russell (perhaps via S&T) and Randle. I bet we could be a playoff team just by adding two Lakers castoffs. :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:08 pm
How about signing Russell (perhaps via S&T) and Randle. I bet we could be a playoff team just by adding two Lakers castoffs. :lol:
Russell is gonna get paid....can’t see how we’d have space to sign both those guys unless Brooklyn foolishly took Tyler Johnson back in a S&T

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Russell is gonna get paid....can’t see how we’d have space to sign both those guys unless Brooklyn foolishly took Tyler Johnson back in a S&T
No way Brooklyn is letting Russell go. They are seeing him as a star player now. They will match anything.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
No way Brooklyn is letting Russell go. They are seeing him as a star player now. They will match anything.
I agree, Russell won’t be available. I can’t see Brogdon being available either. Our FA pg class looks like Rozier, Wright, Rubio

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

I don't watch the Nets often at all. How well do D'Lo and Dinwiddie co-exist? Seems like they're going to have a lot of money tied up in their two point guards. Or do they play D'Lo at SG?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 am
JCSunsfan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
I agree, Russell won’t be available. I can’t see Brogdon being available either. Our FA pg class looks like Rozier, Wright, Rubio
I think I would pass on Rozier and Wright, but I think Rubio isn't a bad option that could also simultaneously mentor Melton and Okobo. Though if we end up with the #2 pick, I think that Ja Morant can be a really special player and could fill that PG need for us right away.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Would you give up Tyler Johnson and an unconditional 1st round pick for Russell?

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:06 pm
Lots of teams have money this Summer.
And lots of players are FA this summer--I don't know where Oubre fits on that list.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Kelly Oubre Jr. wants to stay with the Phoenix Suns the 'rest of my career'
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 098438002/

Kelly Oubre Jr. isn’t ready to change his current NBA location anytime soon.

“I’m here, No. 3, small forward for the Phoenix Suns,” he said. “Trying to keep it that way for the rest of my career.”

“I’m not out here playing for a contract,” Oubre defiantly said. “I only try to play to win.”

Oubre recognizes the Suns have versatile wings in Josh Jackson, TJ Warren and rookie Mikal Bridges.

“It’s a great group of guys to pick from and have that problem here,” he said.

At the same time, Oubre has been a big part of Phoenix’s recent success and would love to play a significant role in helping the Suns (15-51) return to the playoffs for first time since 2010.

“I’m new here, fairly new, but I want to be here, man,” he said. “I want to help this franchise get to the top and I just feel like we can do that.”

The Suns have taken notice of the energy and explosiveness Oubre brings to the team.

The wiry, 6-foot-7 lefty has posted nine 20-point games with Phoenix, including a career-high 28 against the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center. He’s had three double-digit rebounding efforts with a career-high 13 to go along with 27 points in Monday’s stunner over Milwaukee.

“I give love and I expect the same energy back,” Oubre said. “It’s just a great bond that I’m forming here with fans and my teammates. It’s a blessing to be here.”
Doesn't sound like just a guy looking to get paid. But I could be wrong. I'd take him over TJ.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

jonh wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Would you give up Tyler Johnson and an unconditional 1st round pick for Russell?
I would. Don’t think the Nets would be interested though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 am