Suns News: Week 20 2/25-3/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: Week 20 2/25-3/3

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:56 pm
Brandon Clarke in the draft his year could be really good next to Ayton.
Yep.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:03 am
Kelly Oubre Jr. wants to stay with the Phoenix Suns the 'rest of my career'
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 098438002/

Kelly Oubre Jr. isn’t ready to change his current NBA location anytime soon.

“I’m here, No. 3, small forward for the Phoenix Suns,” he said. “Trying to keep it that way for the rest of my career.”

“I’m not out here playing for a contract,” Oubre defiantly said. “I only try to play to win.”

Oubre recognizes the Suns have versatile wings in Josh Jackson, TJ Warren and rookie Mikal Bridges.

“It’s a great group of guys to pick from and have that problem here,” he said.

At the same time, Oubre has been a big part of Phoenix’s recent success and would love to play a significant role in helping the Suns (15-51) return to the playoffs for first time since 2010.

“I’m new here, fairly new, but I want to be here, man,” he said. “I want to help this franchise get to the top and I just feel like we can do that.”

The Suns have taken notice of the energy and explosiveness Oubre brings to the team.

The wiry, 6-foot-7 lefty has posted nine 20-point games with Phoenix, including a career-high 28 against the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center. He’s had three double-digit rebounding efforts with a career-high 13 to go along with 27 points in Monday’s stunner over Milwaukee.

“I give love and I expect the same energy back,” Oubre said. “It’s just a great bond that I’m forming here with fans and my teammates. It’s a blessing to be here.”
Doesn't sound like just a guy looking to get paid. But I could be wrong. I'd take him over TJ.
He's a keeper. I like him and Bridges as our core SFs going forward.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:46 pm
Have you guys seen this? https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/3/8/ ... -nba-teams

I've been wondering if possibly that the future might may have Deandre playing possible pf alongside a shot blocking and rebounding center. If they win the lottery, I'm totally fine keeping him at center. If he develops a off the dribble drive game and extends his outside shooting to the 3 pt line, it wouldn't be the worst thing to have him play pf. He seems recently to play the dynamic athletic freaks well, that normally are able to bully their way into the lane.
He's got the athleticism and quickness to play PF. That would be something with a shot blocking center and Ayton in our front court.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:50 pm
I’ll just say this about Rubio...Utah fans...except the females...do not like Rubio. I live in Utah and they complain about him all the time. He’s just useless without the ball on offense and he’s not actually that good with the ball. I’d pass on him.
Of course you would, you're a male.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:54 am
He's got the athleticism and quickness to play PF. That would be something with a shot blocking center and Ayton in our front court.
You spend the #1 pick in an absolutely loaded draft on a center, and you still don't have rim protection. Sigh.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
You spend the #1 pick in an absolutely loaded draft on a center, and you still don't have rim protection. Sigh.
You don't always get everything. He does pretty much everything else. Plus, Ayton has all the tools to be a great shot blocker and he has shown strides in that direction. He might become a decent shot blocker after everything is said and done. It's mostly about desire.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
It's a very Suns thing to do.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://theathletic.com/853369/2019/03/ ... eeklyemail
The merchandise is coming soon, Kelly Oubre Jr. teased. And if it’s anything like the rest of his fashion, it will be flashy.

Oubre recently coined the “Valley Boyz” nickname to describe the Suns, who, entering Wednesday had won three of their past four games following a franchise-record 17-game losing skid. And though Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton are Phoenix’s clear cornerstones, Oubre might be the most popular Suns player.

In the final seconds of his latest standout performance — 27 points, a career-high 13 rebounds and three blocks in a victory over East-leading Milwaukee — Oubre received “M-V-P!” chants.

“I’m appreciative, man,” Oubre said. “But I’m really trying to get those for real some day. That was pretty dope, man. I’m very humbled by it. Just Phoenix, man, showing love to the kid.”
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Johnson is just fine for now. He takes some pressure off. The best thing about the kid is that he is consistent. You know exactly what you are going to get from him every game. You can count on it.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 am
Johnson is just fine for now. He takes some pressure off. The best thing about the kid is that he is consistent. You know exactly what you are going to get from him every game. You can count on it.
Ill be honest, I wasn't counting on him having a 4.72 (52:11) assists to TO ratio. That is exceptional for someone considered to not be a point guard.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Former Sun Derrick Jones JR. has a monster throw-down.
I've watched a heckuvalot of basketball, and this is damned impressive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/derrick-jones- ... 59349.html
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 127034002/
So the Warriors shot poorly from 3 and lost their most talented player in the fourth quarter to injury, but Kerr credited the Suns for pulling out the win.

"Think about what they did," he said. "They came from Portland last night, they lost an hour and started a game at 5:30. To even have a back-to-back like that and they came in and kicked our butts."

Tyler Johnson rattled off those same obstacles the Suns had to overcome, but the team with the second-worst record in the NBA still took down the league's best team.

"You have every reason to come in and get blown out in this game," he said. "So that shows a lot about the character of these guys and how it's starting to evolve and understand that every single night we suit up, we have an opportunity to beat somebody."
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://theathletic.com/861145/2019/03/ ... ing-surge/
“This is the future,” said Ayton, again pulling out a line he’s previously used during this surge. “I’m not even trying to gas it up. You guys can see it. This team is gonna be like a young team growing up.

“Everybody’s getting each other involved. I’m on everybody’s butt about getting better and elevating their game for the summer. Real talk. Because next year, it’s on. We’re not settling for nothing else, because we’re just tying to finish out this season as strong as possible.”
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:32 am
“This is the future,” said Ayton, again pulling out a line he’s previously used during this surge. “I’m not even trying to gas it up. You guys can see it. This team is gonna be like a young team growing up.

“Everybody’s getting each other involved. I’m on everybody’s butt about getting better and elevating their game for the summer. Real talk. Because next year, it’s on. We’re not settling for nothing else, because we’re just tying to finish out this season as strong as possible.”
I’ve had enough “real talk” and promises from Ayton. I wish he’d just shut up, underpromise and overdeliver.

Probably not fair of me to single out Ayton. He’s hardly the only person associated with this franchise who makes empty promises about winning time. Time for them all to stop saying, start doing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am
Superbone wrote:

I’ve had enough “real talk” and promises from Ayton. I wish he’d just shut up, underpromise and overdeliver.

Probably not fair of me to single out Ayton. He’s hardly the only person associated with this franchise who makes empty promises about winning time. Time for them all to stop saying, start doing.
They kinda have been doing it the last 7 games

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Motivation is essential, let them have this. Season has been brutal and they just achieved one of the biggest upsets against the champs. There is more than enough time to go after anyone who doesn't walk the walk and improve, from the FO to the last player.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am
Superbone wrote:

They kinda have been doing it the last 7 games
To Cap's point, if they keep it up for another game, it will still only constitute less than 1/10 of the season. I think consistency will be what we complain about most over the next few seasons, if the team keeps up their recent play.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Now that they've shown they are capable of winning basketball games, I think they need to get to at least 22 wins in order for Igor to be deserving of keeping his job.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think Igor will be fired unless there's a significantly higher caliber coach available who's willing to deal with Sarver.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.