Game Day: Jazz (37-29) @ Suns (16-52), Wed 3/13/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day: Jazz (37-29) @ Suns (16-52), Wed 3/13/19

Post by AmareIsGod »

What a disappointing turd of game. Figures. I finally watch a full game and I'm presented with this.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Suns tied it at 75 and then got out scored 35-14

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't watch this one. My boy Rubio had a bad game. 1-7 shooting, 6 points, 4 assists.

Gobert seems to have completely shut Ayton down. DA had 2 points (!) on 1-9 shooting.

Down with Point Book!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

DA couldn't even hit a jump shot. Probably practicing to many 3's lately.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

First Doncic with a turd. Then DA. What gives...
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

At the game. That was brutal. Ayton was awful. AWFUL. Booker didn’t get back on defense a solid 5-6 times purely to argue calls. The rotations by Igor were that of someone who’s never coached a game in his life.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

WHY does Crawford sniff the court

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

What a mind fuck of a game. Suns looked like they were hungry for a win and then just shit the bed in the 4th.

Igor, you’re killing me. How can you absolutely not know how to coach against your former team?!? He was just awful. Do you really not know how to play against Gobert? Pathetic. They only have 2 big guys. Figure out how to get them off the floor. It’s alarming how many just basic elements of basketball strategy he seems to miss.

Speaking of...Ayton can take his bitch made 1 for 9 to the G League because he’s an embarrassment. He looked like a complete sissy out there. That was one of the most timid performances I’ve seen by a player in recent memory.

All this in front of a sellout crowd.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gobert dominated Ayton. That was the game. Mitchell also took them home.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:40 pm
I wonder if a racist fan is going to shout at any of our black players tonight.
I know Jazz fans are pretty dumb, but the bigoted ones would travel to watch them in Phoenix?
They can’t go to the games in Utah any more so why not?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm
Starting to get it going; finally

I wish Ayton would pump fake Gobert's ass one time for a drive and slam
Ayton really struggled with Gobert’s length tonight. Jazz still have our number.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ayton was intimidated by Gobert and rushed all his soft finesse stuff. Oubre attacked him and was successful. Ayton needs to learn a few things, like the fact that he is an athletic big azz dude.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ayton definitely didn't have it last night but I also didn't see many postups. Either way, Gobert's length bothered him. Ayton got a real nice block on him, but was otherwise ineffective. Not sure how/why Crawford is getting minutes at this point.

jonh

Post by jonh »

That was a rough 4th quarter.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So the story this morning is that Ayton was his biggest critic from last night. From my perspective, it feels like Utah and Portland are the toughest matchups in the NBA for the Suns. They also give a glimpse into how big of a jump this team can take by as early as next year if they get lucky and make wise choices this off-season.

Even though the Suns ended up getting blown out, it was essentially a tied game after 3 quarters. Igor has been doing a decent job improving over the season, but this sort of felt that he took a step back and/or tanked this game with his moves in the 4th. I thought he could have used Melton in the game, and not sure why Crawford keeps getting minutes(not that he was terrible). He also didn't utilize a timeout, when the Jazz started to pull away, to stem the tide and get his guys focused back on what they needed to stop or how to execute against their defense. He also waited until the game was a double digit lead for the Jazz to bring back in Booker. We know that the Suns death lineup has been Johnson, Booker, Bridges, Oubre and Ayton, but I just didn't see this in the 4th when I was waiting for it. He also let Jackson stay in the game way too long when he was ineffective.

This team really needs another dominate scorer to help Booker, a better option at pg(even though I've been splendidly surprised with Johnson, I just see him as a great backup pg), and the right fit at pf to pair with, compliment and fill the holes that Ayton has. I do really believe that Ayton will be a much better player next year with the growth in the weight room and skill work that the staff will give him. He has some obviously identifiable weaknesses or skills he needs to work on, including driving to the basket, learning how to go into the opposing big, improving his quick jump, one footed jumping and second jump, become better at catching the ball with one hand high and low(worried his only slightly better than Len was at catching the ball), his range on his shot, and getting stronger to compete with the bigs around the league. All these things can be improved greatly by next year and that will make him tremendously valuable going forward.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:45 am
We know that the Suns death lineup has been Johnson, Booker, Bridges, Oubre and Ayton, but I just didn't see this in the 4th when I was waiting for it.
They did play that lineup last night, about halfway through the 4th. Ayton was the last one to join the other 4 after a 2-3 minute breather since he started the 4th, too. But they started down 11, and 3 and half minutes later were down 20. I think part of the problem is Igor played Bridges and Jackson way too much. I don't think Bridges is ready to play 18 straight in-game minutes to finish it out. And Jackson needs to be pulled quickly when he plays like he did in the 3rd/4th.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:06 am
In2ition wrote:
We know that the Suns death lineup has been Johnson, Booker, Bridges, Oubre and Ayton, but I just didn't see this in the 4th when I was waiting for it.
They did play that lineup last night, about halfway through the 4th. Ayton was the last one to join the other 4 after a 2-3 minute breather since he started the 4th, too. But they started down 11, and 3 and half minutes later were down 20. I think part of the problem is Igor played Bridges and Jackson way too much. I don't think Bridges is ready to play 18 straight in-game minutes to finish it out. And Jackson needs to be pulled quickly when he plays like he did in the 3rd/4th.
Thanks, I must have left to put my son to bed at that point. I thought that his substitutions were a little off there and you reinforced that view.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Thanks, I must have left to put my son to bed at that point. I thought that his substitutions were a little off there and you reinforced that view.
I actually haven't watched the game yet (these damn >10pm starts kill me when I am up at 5). But I went through the game log and the on/off charts from bbref.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Suns seemed to just give up in the 4th. Jazz pulled away and we offered no resistance. Seemed like 3 or 4 uncontested 3’s that all went in for them. Turned a 10 point game into a 20 point game in a couple minutes.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I actually haven't watched the game yet (these damn >10pm starts kill me when I am up at 5). But I went through the game log and the on/off charts from bbref.
With 5 minutes left in the third, coach took out both Ayton and Booker. Made no sense to me.