Game Day: Suns (16-53) @ Rockets (42-26), Fri 3/15/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day: Suns (16-53) @ Rockets (42-26), Fri 3/15/19

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:04 pm
Ultimately, I say keep 2, move 2. Bridges should be one of the keepers, even though he has a pretty low ceiling. I would probably move Jackson and Warren. depending on Oubre's salary demands.
Do you see Bridges as a starting 3, or bench? As for pretty low ceiling, do you ever see him as a legit top 10 defensive 3 in the league with a 3P shot above 40%?
Starter vs. Non-starter isn't really relevant. Thabo Sefolasha was a starter for OKC for years as they contender; after him it was Andre Roberson. None of those guys were special, but they were solid role players. Bridges should improve as a 3&D guy, but I don't think he ever surpasses being a good role player. But even as "just a good role player," he can become an important piece on a winning team.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I like all of them now. Warren has been out but he was playing out of his mind before getting hurt and now seems to be forggotten. I haven’t forgotten. Josh has been a lot more consistent and less out of control. Oubre has been a lot better than I expected. Bridges has played well and consistently all year. I am ok with all four of those guys now. We need a PG and a PF and they all can’t stay. I am willing to trade any of those guys if it brings us a real PG or PF. On that note Bender has been a huge disappointment and got zero playing time. He has been forced into the lineup lately and has played pretty good imo. I have moderate hopes for him now based on his play in the past month. We still need another real PF but, I would be willng to keep Bender another year to see if he blossoms.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I never catch INF when he's in a posting mood
Kindly expand on this Low Ceiling thing with some player comps if you have some in mind. Just a solid role player , 3 and D guy ?

So in your mind we will be lucky if Mikal turns into who ?
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:45 pm
A smaller, better shooting Andrei Kirilenko (in his good years).

I think what is more realistic is a slightly better Danny Green/Shane Battier.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:52 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:

Ok fair enough
I was trying to remember young Battier but struggling with that as I just seeing both guys as very good 3 n D guys/ glue guys/ crucial part of winning teams and so on. I've been making the point for a little while that I feel Mikal is going to be more than a spot up guy , just a hunch that he will be effective off the bounce so AK47 is quite a interesting player to consider because he made heady plays when going to the basket either for himself or others in his good years as you said :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

AK47 would be a really fun player nowadays

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:25 pm
They lost this game because of Josh jackson taking over the fourth quarter. In a bad way. Booker disappeared and stopped going to Ayton all together as usual.
Dude! You’ve got crazy tunnel vision when it comes to JJ. He wasn’t that bad and he didn’t cost us the game. That’s a pretty ridiculous take.
Give me a break man! We could put a literal turd in a Suns jersey and you’d find a way to like it.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019 ... sh-jackson

Jackson statistically and by the eye test is one of the worst players in the league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mikal is going to be a staple and fan favorite for years to come. He'll also be a coaches favorite who does everything to impact the game.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Oubre's 3-point shooting were better, he would be far and away the best of the SFs in the group. As it is, he's probably still the best one, but it's closer than it should be. I still don't understand why we won't try lineups with Josh Jackson as our PG. Something like this would be super interesting IMO:

PG - J. Jackson
SG - Booker
SF - Oubre
PF - Bender
C - Ayton

You could also go with Bridges at SF and Oubre as an undersized PF.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:25 pm
If Oubre's 3-point shooting were better, he would be far and away the best of the SFs in the group. As it is, he's probably still the best one, but it's closer than it should be. I still don't understand why we won't try lineups with Josh Jackson as our PG. Something like this would be super interesting IMO:

PG - J. Jackson
SG - Booker
SF - Oubre
PF - Bender
C - Ayton

You could also go with Bridges at SF and Oubre as an undersized PF.
Haven't we seen enough guys who are NOT point guards playing point guard this year?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:59 pm
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
They lost this game because of Josh jackson taking over the fourth quarter. In a bad way. Booker disappeared and stopped going to Ayton all together as usual.
Dude! You’ve got crazy tunnel vision when it comes to JJ. He wasn’t that bad and he didn’t cost us the game. That’s a pretty ridiculous take.
Give me a break man! We could put a literal turd in a Suns jersey and you’d find a way to like it.

Jackson statistically and by the eye test is one of the worst players in the league.
ahahahahah leave Superbone alone!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

but but but he blocks a shot occasionally

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 am
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

And has a lot of fire and has the guts to hit game winners. Bad time to pick on him, guys. He's just going to continue to get better and you'll be sorry after he's gone. You guys have no vision. But it's tough seeing through those turd colored glasses.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am
iLLmatic wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

And has a lot of fire and has the guts to hit game winners. Bad time to pick on him, guys. He's just going to continue to get better and you'll be sorry after he's gone. You guys have no vision. But it's tough seeing through those turd colored glasses.
LOL. That was so predictable. Jake Voskuhl hit a game winner once.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 pm
I like all of them now. Warren has been out but he was playing out of his mind before getting hurt and now seems to be forggotten. I haven’t forgotten. Josh has been a lot more consistent and less out of control. Oubre has been a lot better than I expected. Bridges has played well and consistently all year. I am ok with all four of those guys now. We need a PG and a PF and they all can’t stay. I am willing to trade any of those guys if it brings us a real PG or PF. On that note Bender has been a huge disappointment and got zero playing time. He has been forced into the lineup lately and has played pretty good imo. I have moderate hopes for him now based on his play in the past month. We still need another real PF but, I would be willng to keep Bender another year to see if he blossoms.
I'd have less issue with TJ if this was new or unique to him, missing a chunk of games this season. Feels like deja Vu. For all the good he brings, he's still a black hole on offense and the worst of our SF when it comes to defense. Plus, for as great of a scorer as he is, what good does that do a team when he's on the bench in street clothes all the time?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:52 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:

Andrei Kirilenko with a better shot is at the level of a Shawn Marion or even better -- technically a role player, but one so good as to be considered a star. Indeed, you're looking at someone who will make multiple all-star games. This isn't much of a ceiling IMHO.

A better Shane Battier is another story altogether. Bridges is pretty much at a Battier level right now -- at least, stats-wise.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:06 am
Nodack wrote:
I'd have less issue with TJ if this was new or unique to him, missing a chunk of games this season. Feels like deja Vu. For all the good he brings, he's still a black hole on offense and the worst of our SF when it comes to defense. Plus, for as great of a scorer as he is, what good does that do a team when he's on the bench in street clothes all the time?
Seems to happen every year, doesn't it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:06 am
Nodack wrote:
Seems to happen every year, doesn't it.
Multiple times a year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really like TJ Warren and was sticking up for him when folks were bagging on him earlier this season. He has been one of our most reliable scorers. But I have to say, he's now been out for an extended period, and it doesn't seem to have set us back at all. If anything we play better having more balanced SFs out there like Oubre and Bridges. I think I've come around to the opinion that TJ is easily replaceable and that we should find a way to flip him for a more important asset like a PG or PF or whatever.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:52 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am
iLLmatic wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:

LOL. That was so predictable. Jake Voskuhl hit a game winner once.
Dude. Speaking of predictable. You go after him every single game and it gets old. He's not nearly as bad as you say he is and others have agreed with me if you've been paying attention.
"Be Legendary."