Jimmer Fredette

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Jimmer Fredette

Post by Mori Chu »

I was trying to remember the details of the draft where Jimmer entered the NBA. He went 10th to Milwaukee (traded to Sacramento). That doesn't seem so bad, except when you look at guys drafted after him:

11th: GSW - Klay Thompson - oops
13th: PHX - Markieff Morris
14th: HOU - Marcus Morris
15th: IND - Kawhi Leonard (traded to SAS) - oops
16th: PHI - Nikola Vucevic
17th: NYK - Iman Shumpert
19th: CHA - Tobias Harris
22nd: DEN - Kenneth Faried
30th: CHI - Jimmy Butler

That's a pretty darn good draft in the mid-to-late 1st round. Lot of high-impact guys were drafted after Jimmer. There are some 2nd round gems, too, like Chandler Parsons and even Isaiah Thomas at #60.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_draft

BlaCkAdDa

Re: RE: Re: Jimmer Fredette

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

da_suns_fan wrote:No one wants to mention the infamous "CHANGE IT TO JIMMER.NET" thread from 8 years ago on the old site?

I tried to convince everyone that Jimmer was too bulky to play in the NBA and his game wouldnt translate well and wouldnt be in the league in five years and was CHASTISED for it.

:D
I remember all this very well... If it wasn't for all that then I probably wouldn't even know who he is.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SDC wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:40 am
I don’t think that was really the problem. I just think his game was not suited to being a role player. He’s been the focal point of his teams offense his whole life...He’s a ball dominant scorer. He struggled playing off the ball and provides no defense or playmaking, so in order for him to be effective, the offense needed to revolve around him. I’m sure he had a lot of confidence and thought he could succeed, but I don’t think he was unwilling to learn and develop.
similar profile to isaiah thomas.
Pretty fair...funny because IT outplaying Jimmer as rookies led to his downfall in sac town

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:26 pm
No one wants to mention the infamous "CHANGE IT TO JIMMER.NET" thread from 8 years ago on the old site?

I tried to convince everyone that Jimmer was too bulky to play in the NBA and his game wouldnt translate well and wouldnt be in the league in five years and was CHASTISED for it.

Wasn't it about 75% thinking he wouldn't be much of anything and 24% thinking he would play in the league a while, and then 1% thinking he was a god?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 am
da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:26 pm
No one wants to mention the infamous "CHANGE IT TO JIMMER.NET" thread from 8 years ago on the old site?

Wasn't it about 75% thinking he wouldn't be much of anything and 24% thinking he would play in the league a while, and then 1% thinking he was a god?
Sounds about right.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was as guilty of overrating Jimmer as anybody. I thought he would be good. I didn't realize what a black hole he was in terms of not passing the ball, and how much his shooting would disintegrate once he was faced with NBA defenses.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

I was high on Jimmer but he really showed to be one of the top college players who's game really did not translate well to the NBA.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He couldn’t play off the ball and he didn’t pass or defend. I thought he could be Jason Terry, but his shooting didn’t translate as an off ball player. He shot better off the dribble.

SDC

Post by SDC »

I was high on Stephen Curry but had no opinion on Jimmer before the draft. Where is Ladmo?

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

SDC wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:35 pm
I was high on Stephen Curry but had no opinion on Jimmer before the draft. Where is Ladmo?
This.