Suns News: Week 24 3/25-3/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Suns News: Week 24 3/25-3/31

Post by iLLmatic »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:19 pm
I don't want to hear a peep out of Booker about wanting out during this contract. He knew full well how bad Sarver is and how bad the team is and he could have waited another year for his contract extension in order for them to have more cap space to find him more help, but he didn't.

And if you accept the big contract extension (like Davis did in New Orleans) I think you have an obligation to honor it.
Unpopular opinion but he's apart of this mess. It's not like Booker's perfect and everyone else on the team sucks. This team needs to grow up.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'll never blame a player for taking a 150mil contract. If you're making 50K at a job you hate with a bad boss but he offers you 200K a year to stay, you gonna leave?

Also, if the owner/FO offers a player a contract and then trades him, where's their obligation to keeping him? Blake was pissed when he signed his deal thinking he'd retire a Clipper and he was traded months later. It's not a one-way street.

And Booker has his flaws, but he's an elite talent and a top young player in the league. Those don't grow on trees. It's the FO's job to build a winner around a guy like that, despite any flaws.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:31 am
I'll never blame a player for taking a 150mil contract. If you're making 50K at a job you hate with a bad boss but he offers you 200K a year to stay, you gonna leave?

Also, if the owner/FO offers a player a contract and then trades him, where's their obligation to keeping him? Blake was pissed when he signed his deal thinking he'd retire a Clipper and he was traded months later. It's not a one-way street.

And Booker has his flaws, but he's an elite talent and a top young player in the league. Those don't grow on trees. It's the FO's job to build a winner around a guy like that, despite any flaws.
I'd stay and STFU.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:31 am

Sports is a very specific business. Athletes make money because people are entertained, and at least for me, the main source of entertainment comes from two teams competing to win. Teams doing what is in their best interest encourages that. Players doing what's best for them does not (forming super-teams, everyone going to big markets).

I guess this is part of what makes the NBA much more lucrative compared to other basketball leagues. I think in most other leagues players cannot be traded without their consent. But they willingly go to the NBA, because the compensation is that much better (and, consequently, competition).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought it was weird that Jackson said that Ayton had 30 points in that game. If that made a difference in your thought process, how do you feel if he only scored 9 points?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:13 am
I thought it was weird that Jackson said that Ayton had 30 points in that game. If that made a difference in your thought process, how do you feel if he only scored 9 points?
He was just flat out wrong. He must have had him confused with Gobert who had 27. I don't have a problem with Booker going for 60 in a meaningless game with a greatly reduced roster due to injury. He had it going so ride the hot hand and have some fun with it. What I didn't like is that it was a 16 point game going into the 4th quarter and then they stopped caring about playing basketball on both sides of the court and made it all about Booker. And then the weird Jimmer side show where I just felt bad for the guy. The crowd is cheering for him and he's jacking up shot after shot and missing them all. It kind of reminded me of Majerle's retirement game where he was jacking 3s and missing a ton.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:11 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:13 am
He was just flat out wrong. He must have had him confused with Gobert who had 27. I don't have a problem with Booker going for 60 in a meaningless game with a greatly reduced roster due to injury. He had it going so ride the hot hand and have some fun with it. What I didn't like is that it was a 16 point game going into the 4th quarter and then they stopped caring about playing basketball on both sides of the court and made it all about Booker. And then the weird Jimmer side show where I just felt bad for the guy. The crowd is cheering for him and he's jacking up shot after shot and missing them all. It kind of reminded me of Majerle's retirement game where he was jacking 3s and missing a ton.
Agreed. They just ran out of gas in the 4th, especially with Holmes getting thrown out.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

I am watching Amare right now playing in the Basketball Champions League with Jerusalem. He looks great, but still hasn’t learned how to box out. Still pretty aggressive on the offensive boards tough. Just had a nice putback basket. I am sure he would be better than a lot of bigs in today’s NBA period.

Very interesting prospect on Jerusalem is Tamir Blatt, son of former NBA Coach David Blatt. A 6.3 pass first point guard born in 1997. Has great court vision.

http://www.championsleague.basketball/d ... se-Bamberg

Fun fact: Brown of Jerusalem is wearing number 69

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

gosuns wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am
I am watching Amare right now playing in the Basketball Champions League with Jerusalem. He looks great, but still hasn’t learned how to box out. Still pretty aggressive on the offensive boards tough. Just had a nice putback basket. I am sure he would be better than a lot of bigs in today’s NBA period.
I think Jimmer is exhibit A of why you can't always trust the level of play in these other overseas leagues. The NBA is on such another level in terms of defense and talent. Amare is still a very talented big man I'm sure, but I bet he can't keep up with today's NBA. His knees are probably too shot for him to stay on the court, and his lack of defense, rebounding, and 3-point shooting would be a big problem.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 pm
gosuns wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am
I think Jimmer is exhibit A of why you can't always trust the level of play in these other overseas leagues. The NBA is on such another level in terms of defense and talent. Amare is still a very talented big man I'm sure, but I bet he can't keep up with today's NBA. His knees are probably too shot for him to stay on the court, and his lack of defense, rebounding, and 3-point shooting would be a big problem.
I wasn’t suggesting we get Amare back, i was just enjoying watching him play, he loves the game of basketball. Amare is no Jimmer. Jimmer was bad before he went to China. China is to Europe what Europe is to the NBA. China is two steps below the NBA. I am talking about the competition Doncic was ballin against last year.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

It is a damn shame and disappointment that when given the chance a few years back, Suns management did absolutely nothing to allow Amare and the fans a retirement tour / one year contract. He should have retired a Sun, and the fans would have had something fun to watch for a change.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:23 pm
It is a damn shame and disappointment that when given the chance a few years back, Suns management did absolutely nothing to allow Amare and the fans a retirement tour / one year contract. He should have retired a Sun, and the fans would have had something fun to watch for a change.

Or maybe it's just better that we let him go when he got a $100 million contract for a couple of good years before his body broke down.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm
Phoenix219 wrote:

Or maybe it's just better that we let him go when he got a $100 million contract for a couple of good years before his body broke down.
I think he's talking about signing him after that on a veteran minimum one-year deal as a career appreciation sort of thing.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm
Phoenix219 wrote:

And after that, we could have had him on a one year retirement contract for mutual benefit. Would have been one bit of fanservice during a prolonged dark period.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

SDC

Post by SDC »

you cant, when you have the ballhog taking all the shots.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:23 pm
you cant, when you have the ballhog taking all the shots.
That's awfully rich coming from the guy who's put his bare ass out for Jimmer Fredette.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

what does jimmer have anything to do with the current suns situation? nada.

he didnt even play tonight.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

1. Jimmer is a homeless man's Booker.

2. You just recently said that you'd love to see Jimmer go for 50 in the Washington game. How'd you ever expect him to do that without being a ballhog?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."