Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Indy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 am

Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am
I was three years old when he was hired and 17 when he was fired. It was surreal. I just couldn’t conceive of the Suns not being coached by MacLeod. Joe Proski’s exit was also surreal. And leaving AVMC.

When JC made his exit, it wasn’t just surreal, it was traumatic.

The day is going to come when I listen to a Suns game on the radio and the voice I hear will not be Al McCoy.
From the reporting, it sounds like that day will be the very next game.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10741
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by carey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:41 am

On the newest episode of Solar Panel Espo goes into detail about Watson's firing. I think it's at the 25:00 mark. It's crazy Sarver asked Watson to fire Rich Paul just because Bledsoe asked for an extension 2 years early and bristled when Sarver said to wait until the end of the year (supposedly because of injury concerns.)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7662
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Split T » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am

Well it does sound like there is some basis for Sarver asking Watson to find different representation as there does seem to be a rule that coaches and players shouldn’t have the same agents...I know we talked about it on here earlier.

I also think it’s important to note that Watson had started bad mouthing the front office in the locker room. At that point it’s a no brainer to fire him. The whole Sarver asking Watson to fire rich Paul was clearly not handled correctly. It’s just a weird story.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 4769
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by ShelC » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 am

That kind of thing tends to happen when you have a bunch of amateurs and first timers in key positions. Watson was always FOS tho. Saw it coming a mile away with that idiot.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5475
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by In2ition » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am

It also explains to the "I don't want to be here." tweet. He knew about this, through his agent I'm sure.

I actually don't blame Sarver on this one. I don't think the coaches should have the same agents as the players, and there didn't need to be an extension on Bledsoe 2 yrs before he was up, since he was coming back from injury. This was a power play by Rich Paul and it hurt the Suns.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Indy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am
It also explains to the "I don't want to be here." tweet. He knew about this, through his agent I'm sure.

I actually don't blame Sarver on this one. I don't think the coaches should have the same agents as the players, and there didn't need to be an extension on Bledsoe 2 yrs before he was up, since he was coming back from injury. This was a power play by Rich Paul and it hurt the Suns.
And worked out pretty well for his client.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5475
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by In2ition » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 am

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am
It also explains to the "I don't want to be here." tweet. He knew about this, through his agent I'm sure.

I actually don't blame Sarver on this one. I don't think the coaches should have the same agents as the players, and there didn't need to be an extension on Bledsoe 2 yrs before he was up, since he was coming back from injury. This was a power play by Rich Paul and it hurt the Suns.
And worked out pretty well for his client.
No doubt. This was after they forced the Suns to bid against themselves too. I don't blame the Suns for steering clear of any Paul clients.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

JeremyG
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by JeremyG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am
I was three years old when he was hired and 17 when he was fired. It was surreal. I just couldn’t conceive of the Suns not being coached by MacLeod. Joe Proski’s exit was also surreal. And leaving AVMC.

When JC made his exit, it wasn’t just surreal, it was traumatic.

The day is going to come when I listen to a Suns game on the radio and the voice I hear will not be Al McCoy.
From the reporting, it sounds like that day will be the very next game.
Wait...what reporting?

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 5900
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Cap » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am
I was three years old when he was hired and 17 when he was fired. It was surreal. I just couldn’t conceive of the Suns not being coached by MacLeod. Joe Proski’s exit was also surreal. And leaving AVMC.

When JC made his exit, it wasn’t just surreal, it was traumatic.

The day is going to come when I listen to a Suns game on the radio and the voice I hear will not be Al McCoy.
From the reporting, it sounds like that day will be the very next game.
Then just go ahead and change the team name already. It’s not the Suns anymore.
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5120
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by O_Gardino » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm

The Las Vegas Odds.
SELL THE TEAM
#notank
#sarverout

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Indy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:26 pm

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am
I was three years old when he was hired and 17 when he was fired. It was surreal. I just couldn’t conceive of the Suns not being coached by MacLeod. Joe Proski’s exit was also surreal. And leaving AVMC.

When JC made his exit, it wasn’t just surreal, it was traumatic.

The day is going to come when I listen to a Suns game on the radio and the voice I hear will not be Al McCoy.
From the reporting, it sounds like that day will be the very next game.
Wait...what reporting?
Scott Bordow had a great interview with/story about McCoy. In it, Al said that he would never say he was going to quit before he actually quits (because it wouldn't be right to do a swan song for one more season if he already made up his mind that he was going to retire, and the story would be more about him than the games he was calling). Al never said he called his last game, but he didn't sound enthusiastic about still doing this job.

I probably shouldn't read too much into it... but here is the opening to the piece. I would link to it but it is on the Athletic.

Al​ McCoy walks​ up​ to​ the​ table where​ I’m​ sitting​ inside​ the Suns​ media dining​ room.

“I​ have​ the​ last line of your​​ story for you,” he says.

He tells me that he’s been invited to be the grand marshal of the July 4 Celebration and Parade in his hometown of Williams, Iowa. Williams, population 600, McCoy reminds me, is where McCoy began his broadcasting career – sort of – calling imaginary games while sitting on the fence railing of his family’s farm.

I tell him it would be fitting if that’s where his career ended. He smiles and walks away.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2203
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Nodack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Al is a legend. I haven’t heard him call a game in years because I tape the games and he’s not on TV anymore. I used to drive 2nd shift and listened to most of the games on the radio in the car. It was almost like being there. It sure did make the time go by faster.

The TJ thing is so bazaar. It was last year too. He has missed a lot of games under mysterious circumstances. Then again when he did play he was a total badazz IMO. His 3pt shooting improved a lot making him almost unguardable. People keep writing him off. I just know he will be on a playoff team playing a crucial role in the future like so many other Suns players have after we cast them aside as garbage and yet we still sit at the bottom of the league nowhere near the playoffs. I don’t know what or if he will be part of the Suns plans for the future and I am OK with trading him for pieces that fit our needs but, if I am another team looking for a scorer, he definitely fits the bill. He had a head injury and an ankle injury, not double knee replacements. I think he deserves a little more respect. Does he have mental issues? I have no idea. That seems to be speculation.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Indy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Nodack wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:02 pm
Al is a legend. I haven’t heard him call a game in years because I tape the games and he’s not on TV anymore. I used to drive 2nd shift and listened to most of the games on the radio in the car. It was almost like being there. It sure did make the time go by faster.

The TJ thing is so bazaar. It was last year too. He has missed a lot of games under mysterious circumstances. Then again when he did play he was a total badazz IMO. His 3pt shooting improved a lot making him almost unguardable. People keep writing him off. I just know he will be on a playoff team playing a crucial role in the future like so many other Suns players have after we cast them aside as garbage and yet we still sit at the bottom of the league nowhere near the playoffs. I don’t know what or if he will be part of the Suns plans for the future and I am OK with trading him for pieces that fit our needs but, if I am another team looking for a scorer, he definitely fits the bill. He had a head injury and an ankle injury, not double knee replacements. I think he deserves a little more respect. Does he have mental issues? I have no idea. That seems to be speculation.
How many players have we gotten rid of/left and are now contributing to playoff teams? 5? 6? it is more than it should be.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5475
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by In2ition » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm

I could see Warren going to a playoff team, playing as their 6th man and turning into a Lou Williams type invaluable role.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Indy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 pm

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm
I could see Warren going to a playoff team, playing as their 6th man and turning into a Lou Williams type invaluable role.
I think it would really help him to go to a team where he clearly isn't a starter and he knows it. He could easily be the #2 or #3 scorer on the team keep them afloat the nights when their main guy(s) are having an off night. You really need those guys in the playoffs (Portland/Toronto).

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3253
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by specialsauce » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Lou is ten times the playmaker TJ is.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 14826
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Superbone » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 am

Warren isn’t going to do anything if he’s not on the floor. I think he’s mentally fragile and I’m ready to move on.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
jonh
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by jonh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:58 am

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm
The Las Vegas Odds.
10/10--I've been thinking about this burn since I read it.
“I’m done with not making the playoffs. I’m serious. This is probably the last year I’m ever not making the playoffs.” Devin Booker-- April, 2017

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5120
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by O_Gardino » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:51 am

jonh wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:58 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm
The Las Vegas Odds.
10/10--I've been thinking about this burn since I read it.
Glad to make you smile and/or cringe. 8-)
SELL THE TEAM
#notank
#sarverout

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 14826
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Superbone » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:22 pm

House Suns makes an appearance in Game of Zones!

Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

Post Reply