Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:40 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 pm
The crazy thing is, had we better allocated the $15M we rushed to pay Ariza, we probably could have fielded a team that could have hit 30 wins. For example, imagine if we have Randle $10M and Napier $3M. Or even retained Elfrid.

I’m of the opinion that Napier (or Payton)/Booker/Warren (or Bridges)/Randle/Ayton is worth at least 9 more wins than Canaan/Booker/Paycheck Ariza/Anderson/Ayton.
Yep, McDonough owes me $110.
Didn’t you place that bet after McD’s moves?
Shut up.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
The crazy thing is, had we better allocated the $15M we rushed to pay Ariza, we probably could have fielded a team that could have hit 30 wins. For example, imagine if we have Randle $10M and Napier $3M. Or even retained Elfrid.

I’m of the opinion that Napier (or Payton)/Booker/Warren (or Bridges)/Randle/Ayton is worth at least 9 more wins than Canaan/Booker/Paycheck Ariza/Anderson/Ayton.
Schroeder would have been another great pickup at PG. If we had spent the money on Randle and Schroeder, I have no doubt we’d have won 30 or more games.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Schroeder would have been another great pickup at PG. If we had spent the money on Randle and Schroeder, I have no doubt we’d have won 30 or more games.
Gross.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was big on Schroeder in the offseason and thought he would've been a good fit. I also would've given Tony Parker that 1 year 15 mil deal.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 am
I won’t try to get into specifics of what we’ll do, because I’ll definitely be wrong, but i think there is an outline we’ll follow.

1. Add a starting PG
2. Add a starting PF
3. Trim off some young players
4. Add another vet or 2

99% sure they’ll be here next year
1. Booker
2. Ayton
90% sure they’ll be here next year
3. Bridges
4. Oubre
75% sure they’ll be here next year
5. Richaun Holmes
60% sure they’ll be here next year
6. Tyler Johnson - Will be trade bait if we land another vet pg
7. Josh Jackson - Lean towards thinking we’ll keep him
50-50
8. Elie Okobo - Don’t see us keeping both him and Melton
9. DeAnthony Melton
10. Dragan Bender
11. Jamal Crawford - Would like him back as a mentor
12. George King
25% Chance they’ll be here
13. Ray Spalding
14. Troy Daniels
15. TJ Warren - Pretty sure he’s gone...
16. Jimmer
This is a pretty good take. However, I'd move Crawford and Jackson to the 25% column, and put Daniels, Warren, Jimmer, Spalding, and Bender at "near zero".

Jackson was bad on the court, and he failed at the fan interaction piece of it too. We have 4 wing men (Bridges, Warren, Oubre, Jackson). We may end up with the 3rd pick. Thus, I think Jackson and Warren are gone in trades for a servicable PG or PF.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:40 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Yep, McDonough owes me $110.
Didn’t you place that bet after McD’s moves?
Did we really think the Laker's were gonna be that stupid at the opening of FA?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Say we land #2 or #3.

Said pick, plus Meth, Warren (maybe sent to a thrid team with more desirable assets to NOP), Jackson and more picks for AD and Jrue. That's better for NOP than any realistic offer that doesn't include Tatum, Zion or Siakam.

Don't care if Davis gives me no guarantees. You gotta play. Jrue-Booker-Bridges-Davis-Ayton, the remaining pieces (Oubre, Holmes, Melton) and whatever you can get with the MLE and BAE.

SDC

Post by SDC »

if the suns doesnt get 1 or 2, trade the pick or sign/trade for a veteran pg

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:44 am
Say we land #2 or #3.

Said pick, plus Meth, Warren (maybe sent to a thrid team with more desirable assets to NOP), Jackson and more picks for AD and Jrue. That's better for NOP than any realistic offer that doesn't include Tatum, Zion or Siakam.

Don't care if Davis gives me no guarantees. You gotta play. Jrue-Booker-Bridges-Davis-Ayton, the remaining pieces (Oubre, Holmes, Melton) and whatever you can get with the MLE and BAE.
I don't think that's enough for NO, but I do think we can use our pick for the best offer anyone can put together for AD.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:26 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Say we land #2 or #3.

I don't think that's enough for NO, but I do think we can use our pick for the best offer anyone can put together for AD.
I agree. But would it be enough if the pick was #1 (Zion)?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:11 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:26 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Say we land #2 or #3.

I agree. But would it be enough if the pick was #1 (Zion)?
Maybe. They would answer the phone for any call regarding Zion.

I don't want to get too critical in the fantasy thread. I mean, Jrue-Booker-Bridges-Davis-Ayton + Oubre-Holmes-Melton is a pretty good fantasy.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'll put this speculation here because I think it's so unlikely to happen:

Do ya think Cleveland would give up their pick to dump some salary? They have a huge L-tax bill coming up next year with 135 Million on the books and only 11 players under contract. So they will pay something around 25 million in tax payments, right? I admit I don't know the details of the repeat offender tax.

But if they cut JR Smith and get someone to take Tristan Thompson, they could get under the tax threshold. Would it be worth it to them to lose the rookie and save close to 50 million?

I don't see the Suns making that kind of move, but somebody could get a good player if they can talk Cleveland into doing it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:29 am
I'll put this speculation here because I think it's so unlikely to happen:

Do ya think Cleveland would give up their pick to dump some salary? They have a huge L-tax bill coming up next year with 135 Million on the books and only 11 players under contract. So they will pay something around 25 million in tax payments, right? I admit I don't know the details of the repeat offender tax.

But if they cut JR Smith and get someone to take Tristan Thompson, they could get under the tax threshold. Would it be worth it to them to lose the rookie and save close to 50 million?

I don't see the Suns making that kind of move, but somebody could get a good player if they can talk Cleveland into doing it.
They are both expiring deals, and Smith's isn't fully guaranteed. I am sure they can get better offers for each of them than giving up a top 5 pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They can and probably will just dump Love. He has enough value that they could probably move him without giving up additional assets. They may have to pay the tax this year, but they’ll clear space for 2020 and keep their pick.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:53 am
They can and probably will just dump Love. He has enough value that they could probably move him without giving up additional assets. They may have to pay the tax this year, but they’ll clear space for 2020 and keep their pick.
This is the fantasy thread, Split. I'm not talking about taking on the corpse of the memory of how Kevin Love was supposed to be good for 30 million a year over the next 4 years unless they take back Sarver in the deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:01 am
Split T wrote:
This is the fantasy thread, Split. I'm not talking about taking on the corpse of the memory of how Kevin Love was supposed to be good for 30 million a year over the next 4 years unless they take back Sarver in the deal.
Haha, my bad. And for the record, I wasn’t suggesting we take Love. I don’t want that contract and who knows if he’s any good anymore.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:13 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:01 am
Split T wrote:
Haha, my bad. And for the record, I wasn’t suggesting we take Love. I don’t want that contract and who knows if he’s any good anymore.
8-)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ok, I’ve rained on some of y’alls fantasy parades in this thread, so feel free to rain on mine. I know there’s very little chance of it happening, but it sure would be fun.

1. Get the #1 pick and draft Zion
2. Trade Ayton, Warren, Johnson, Jackson, Okobo, Mil 1st, 2019 1st to NO for AD and Jrue
3. Resign Oubre, Holmes, Bender, Crawford

Jrue/Booker/Bridges/Zion/AD with
Melton/Crawford/Oubre/Bender/Holmes off the bench.

Bench would be thin, but maybe use room exception to sign another vet guard who has more in the tank than Jamal.

This team would be a legitimate title contender. Although, I don’t think NO would do it. Could probably get more out of AD/Jrue by trading them separately, but....

Scenario 2: Just switch Ayton for Zion

Jrue/Booker/Bridges/AD/Ayton

NO might be more willing if they are landing Zion.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also:

We’ve talked about Beal before...Beal also tweeted this:

Does he fit with Booker? Does having both solve our pg issue?

carey

Post by carey »

No, he doesn't and I'm not sure why people think he does. He's a pure 2 just like Book. You can get away with a combo guard like McCollum at 1 because Book can initiate the offense passably, but putting another 2 next to him means he's the sole initiator which just isn't conducive to winning.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!