Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 am
Split T wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:26 am
There’s no actual rumblings that philly would look to move Ben Simmons, but he doesn’t seem to fit in Philly and some media have discussed moving him...Would you trade for him? He can be our 4 and our pg...needs to figure out how to be effective when he doesn’t have the ball.
I think that really depends on who you put around him. He made zero threes this year. He played 2700 minutes and only took 6. He is the only non-center in the league to play that much without taking/making 3s. He would join Ayton in that category. So if we are going to have two players on the floor that can't stretch the floor, there wouldn't be much room to work.
Ya, it could be a tricky fit and you are banking on Simmons developing some kind of shot. He seems to do just fine in the regular season, but he disappears in the playoffs and especially at the end of games.

You’d have to build the offense around him having the ball a lot, which could be nice for Booker. Sign another shooter to play at the 1(maybe Seth Curry)

Curry/Booker/Bridges/Simmons/Ayton

A Simmons/Ayton PNR still puts 3 shooters around them.

Then you have booker run the offense when Simmons sits. You still run the risk of needing to put the ball in bookers hands at the end of games and Simmons becoming useless in the corner...

It’s an interesting thought, but I’m not sure it would work any better for us than it does for philly.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, he has only taken a total of 18 threes in the NBA and hasn't hit one. So developing on outside shot seems iffy.

His breakdown this year is:

Restricted area (RA)--634 FGA, 67.0%
Paint (non RA)--253 FGA, 39.9%
Mid-range--67 FGA, 20.9%
Threes--6 FGA, 0.00%

It would be one thing if he was making some mid range shots and just needed to extend his range (like TJ before this season), but 21% from mid-range is awful. (For comparison, in 2017-18 TJ shot 41% in the Paint (Non RA) and 41% from mid-range)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's too bad Simmons shooting is so bad. If he could add that, he could be an all-time great.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:59 am
It's too bad Simmons shooting is so bad. If he could add that, he could be an all-time great.
Yep. I was actually amazed at how bad he was in the paint and mid-range.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
There’s no actual rumblings that philly would look to move Ben Simmons, but he doesn’t seem to fit in Philly and some media have discussed moving him...Would you trade for him? He can be our 4 and our pg...needs to figure out how to be effective when he doesn’t have the ball.
I think that really depends on who you put around him. He made zero threes this year. He played 2700 minutes and only took 6. He is the only non-center in the league to play that much without taking/making 3s. He would join Ayton in that category. So if we are going to have two players on the floor that can't stretch the floor, there wouldn't be much room to work.
Ayton is going to be a three-point threat. Maybe not in his sophomore season, but he’ll get there.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Ayton is going to be a three-point threat. Maybe not in his sophomore season, but he’ll get there.
Agreed.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I heard somewhere recently that Simmons HS coach said he used to be able to shoot. Not sure what happened to him...Philly broke Simmons and Fultz jumpshots?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I like Ja's talent and am intrigued but not sure what to make of this kinda statement...... :shock:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1125481690015596545

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 pm
I heard somewhere recently that Simmons HS coach said he used to be able to shoot. Not sure what happened to him...Philly broke Simmons and Fultz jumpshots?
people have said it was LSU coaching, either way I'm really not a big fan of his tbh
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 pm
I like Ja's talent and am intrigued but not sure what to make of this kinda statement...... :shock:

I can't speak to his attitude, but one of the things I like about him is that he seems to genuinely enjoy setting up his teammates. I could see him loving the challenge of getting Ayton his dunks and Booker his 3's.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:19 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 pm

I can't speak to his attitude, but one of the things I like about him is that he seems to genuinely enjoy setting up his teammates. I could see him loving the challenge of getting Ayton his dunks and Booker his 3's.
I can't deny this. His ability to pass and run the PnR in almost any situation is what is the most ideal thing about him. We've been saying for a few years now that the Suns need a pass first pg, and he fits the bill. I wish he could shoot better, but that should come...I think.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

About the Conley talk...James Jones has already said that he is not interested in trading for Conley and that he's too old.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:59 pm
About the Conley talk...James Jones has already said that he is not interested in trading for Conley and that he's too old.
When did he say this?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:09 pm
JeremyG wrote:
When did he say this?
Before the trade deadline when Conley was said to be available, Gambo asked him about it without using Conley's name lol. I'll see if I can find the audio.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
When did he say this?
Here's the audio: https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/james ... terim-gm-4 (from about 1:00 to about 4:30)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 pm
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agreed.
I don't mind as long as it's in the Embiid/Jokic mold. Just please don't rely on it.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:29 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
When did he say this?
Here's the audio: https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/james ... terim-gm-4 (from about 1:00 to about 4:30)
That audio would seem like we wouldn’t be interested in Conley, but they weren’t talking about Conley here. Just general ideas on adding vets in the 32-36 age range. Which Conley will join that range very soon.

So yes, it doesn’t sound like they’d go after Conley, but I wouldn’t say that’s a definite thing.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agreed.
I don't mind as long as it's in the Embiid/Jokic mold. Just please don't rely on it.
He’s not going to turn into Channing Frye. The three-pointer will just be one more offensive weapon in a large arsenal.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agreed.
I will be worried if he is like either of those guys. They take 3-4 a game and can't hit above 30%. If that is the case, they will let you take it all day long and get the long rebound for a quick break up the floor.

As fluid as Ayton looks taking shots from mid-range, he is REALLY bad at it. He took over 220 shots from mid-range and didn't make 40% of them.

He is elite in the restricted area, and pretty good in the paint. But once he leaves it... he needs a lot of work. I think he can get there based on how fluid he looks shooting, but it will take some dedication on his end like what TJ did last summer. So far I haven't seen him put in that kind of effort.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:55 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:29 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
When did he say this?
That audio would seem like we wouldn’t be interested in Conley, but they weren’t talking about Conley here. Just general ideas on adding vets in the 32-36 age range. Which Conley will join that range very soon.

So yes, it doesn’t sound like they’d go after Conley, but I wouldn’t say that’s a definite thing.
He isn't 32 until later this year but I think they were talking about him. If I remember right, that was the week that the Conley rumors were happening and Gambo was trying to ask him about it without causing tampering issues. At one point Gambo says, "31, 32 years old."

EDIT: Here's the context, they talk about Conley right before Jones comes on the phone: https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/janua ... 019-hour-2