Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3005
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by specialsauce » Sun May 05, 2019 12:15 pm

carey wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:45 am
No, he doesn't and I'm not sure why people think he does. He's a pure 2 just like Book. You can get away with a combo guard like McCollum at 1 because Book can initiate the offense passably, but putting another 2 next to him means he's the sole initiator which just isn't conducive to winning.
Agree.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 6899
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Split T » Sun May 05, 2019 2:19 pm

I think Beal is as much if not more of an initiator as McCollum
Garland
Hunter
Culver

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 3634
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by The Bobster » Sun May 05, 2019 3:29 pm

carey wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:45 am
No, he doesn't and I'm not sure why people think he does. He's a pure 2 just like Book. You can get away with a combo guard like McCollum at 1 because Book can initiate the offense passably, but putting another 2 next to him means he's the sole initiator which just isn't conducive to winning.
And doesn't cut it defensively either.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5081
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by In2ition » Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:19 pm
I think Beal is as much if not more of an initiator as McCollum
Agreed
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 6899
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Split T » Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm

In2ition wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:19 pm
I think Beal is as much if not more of an initiator as McCollum
Agreed
I’m still not sure it would work, but Beal/Booker is a better option than Booker/McCollum to me.

Beal isn’t a pg, but he’s very comfortable with the ball in his hands and flourished with wall out. He was a 25/5/5 guy this year. He can play with the ball and without..just like booker. Ideally you find a true pg to pair with booker, but talent is talent and sometimes you’ve got to just get talent.
Garland
Hunter
Culver

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5081
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by In2ition » Sun May 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:19 pm
I think Beal is as much if not more of an initiator as McCollum
Agreed
I’m still not sure it would work, but Beal/Booker is a better option than Booker/McCollum to me.

Beal isn’t a pg, but he’s very comfortable with the ball in his hands and flourished with wall out. He was a 25/5/5 guy this year. He can play with the ball and without..just like booker. Ideally you find a true pg to pair with booker, but talent is talent and sometimes you’ve got to just get talent.
I'm not sure either, but Beal is 2 yrs younger than CJ, 5.5 assists to 3 assists, 24% assist rate to 14%, 20.8 PER to 17, .581 TS% to .553, with the same 2:1 assist to TO rate.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 6899
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Split T » Sun May 05, 2019 5:02 pm

And I think he’s a better defender than CJ...he’s just in a completely different tier.
Garland
Hunter
Culver

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5081
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by In2ition » Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Idk how well it would work, but a Booker/Beal sounds pretty good. It would seem to be better on paper than a Murray/Harris and close to a Lillard/McCollum in pure talent.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3513
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Shabazz » Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Yeah, I think Beal is at least as good in the role of "Point Guard" as someone like Pat Beverly. I don't think Booker needs a pure PG next to him, just someone who allows him to play off the ball more often.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9435
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sun May 05, 2019 6:08 pm

You could probably get away with a Beal/Booker backcourt ... if we had drafted freaking Doncic like we should have. Then our SF could help handle the ball and run the offense.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5081
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by In2ition » Sun May 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Is anyone watching the playoffs? A center is still uber important.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

JeremyG
Posts: 924
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by JeremyG » Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Yeah, I think Beal is at least as good in the role of "Point Guard" as someone like Pat Beverly. I don't think Booker needs a pure PG next to him, just someone who allows him to play off the ball more often.
Booker may not need a pure point guard, but I think the rest of the team does. Especially Ayton.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 6899
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Split T » Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Yeah, I think Beal is at least as good in the role of "Point Guard" as someone like Pat Beverly. I don't think Booker needs a pure PG next to him, just someone who allows him to play off the ball more often.
Booker may not need a pure point guard, but I think the rest of the team does. Especially Ayton.
That’s a good point
Garland
Hunter
Culver

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3513
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Shabazz » Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Yeah, I think Beal is at least as good in the role of "Point Guard" as someone like Pat Beverly. I don't think Booker needs a pure PG next to him, just someone who allows him to play off the ball more often.
Booker may not need a pure point guard, but I think the rest of the team does. Especially Ayton.
That’s a good point
Yeah. That's very fair.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3513
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Shabazz » Sun May 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Honestly, I've said it before, but I think if we land Zion, we should throw whatever it takes at Memphis to get Conley. That (and some smart moves on the margins) would constitute an ideal offseason for me.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 6899
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Split T » Sun May 05, 2019 9:57 pm

I’d be happy with Conley...Does TJ, TJ, and the Mil pick get it done?
Garland
Hunter
Culver

Drewsprocket
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Drewsprocket » Sun May 05, 2019 10:44 pm

They should try to trade for Conley. I just don’t think the grizz will go for it. TJ and Tj plus a mid to late first round pick would be excellent. Conley would start and Okobo could develop into a starter over time. If we drop in the lottery then i think that gets it done. James Jones hopefully will trade out out of the draft if we fall outside top 3.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3513
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Shabazz » Sun May 05, 2019 11:17 pm

I'd give up Tyler, their choice of JJ or Warren, the Milwaukee pick and next season's pick with some light protection.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 6899
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Split T » Mon May 06, 2019 10:26 am

There’s no actual rumblings that philly would look to move Ben Simmons, but he doesn’t seem to fit in Philly and some media have discussed moving him...Would you trade for him? He can be our 4 and our pg...needs to figure out how to be effective when he doesn’t have the ball.
Garland
Hunter
Culver

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8232
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Indy » Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 am

Split T wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:26 am
There’s no actual rumblings that philly would look to move Ben Simmons, but he doesn’t seem to fit in Philly and some media have discussed moving him...Would you trade for him? He can be our 4 and our pg...needs to figure out how to be effective when he doesn’t have the ball.
I think that really depends on who you put around him. He made zero threes this year. He played 2700 minutes and only took 6. He is the only non-center in the league to play that much without taking/making 3s. He would join Ayton in that category. So if we are going to have two players on the floor that can't stretch the floor, there wouldn't be much room to work.

Post Reply