Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 am
Sidery mentioned Aminu yesterday as a small ball 4, as he's improved his outside shot. I put him in that same category as Thad Young, tho Thad is a better offensive player. I'd take either if we strike out elsewhere, but neither are the "answer" at PF longterm and probably wouldn't move the needle too much for us next year.

Kleber is a really interesting player and I liked him a lot earlier in the year but expected more of a breakout year from him. His per 36 #s are solid but again, not sure if he's the answer at PF. I think he's better suited as a backup 4/5.
Apparently, the Mavs were really trying to hide him this year and not allow his stats to show out. This I got from a Mavs super fan. They don't want to lose him, and would like to not have to pay him large amounts this year. He thinks he was the Mavs best defender this year, by far.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is Kleber restricted?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am
Is Kleber restricted?
Unrestricted
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not sure why he’d leave Dallas...unless he thinks he won’t get minutes. We don’t exactly have the space to make him an offer bigger than Dallas can. I do like him. He’s big, can hit a 3, he can protect the rim a bit. Seems like a nice fit next to Ayton. I just don’t see the likelihood of getting him away from Dallas...if Dallas really likes him like has been mentioned.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't be surprised if they were hiding him. Given their roster and lack of depth he should've been getting big minutes and a chance to break out. I doubt the Mavs are letting him go and I doubt he wants to leave. Mavs seem like the kind of org that have things worked out ahead of time with a guy like that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am
I wouldn't be surprised if they were hiding him. Given their roster and lack of depth he should've been getting big minutes and a chance to break out. I doubt the Mavs are letting him go and I doubt he wants to leave. Mavs seem like the kind of org that have things worked out ahead of time with a guy like that.
If they already have things worked out, what do they gain by hiding him?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:17 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am
If they already have things worked out, what do they gain by hiding him?
Somebody talking to him at midnight and offering him a lot more money. Even if they have it worked out, I am sure it isn't in writing and it isn't as much as he might have made had they showcased him this year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And he's also UFA so it's not like the Mavs can match any offer he gets.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think you guys are overrating him. He’s a role player who plays his role well, but is still pretty limited. Anthony Tolliver with a slightly better shot-blocking profile.

And you can’t “hide” players in the NBA. Once a player has played a significant number of minutes, NBA scouts will have enough to go on. Unless you mean he was showing more in practice than he was in games. That also may mean something problematic.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm
I think you guys are overrating him. He’s a role player who plays his role well, but is still pretty limited. Anthony Tolliver with a slightly better shot-blocking profile.

And you can’t “hide” players in the NBA. Once a player has played a significant number of minutes, NBA scouts will have enough to go on. Unless you mean he was showing more in practice than he was in games. That also may mean something problematic.
But what if you fired your entire scouting department and never hired their replacements?

Indy

Post by Indy »

And I don't think he is great. I think he is a good-sized PF that can shoot, rebound, and defend. He played as many minutes at PF for Dallas than anyone else, and had a better block percentage than anyone that actually played. And I don't think he will cost 8 figures like most of the other PFs on the market. I would rather we spend our money at the PG position.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm

But what if you fired your entire scouting department and never hired their replacements?
It’s OK as long as the few who remain sit in the 4th row.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see the point in bringing in a mediocre undersized PF like Aminu. He's not bad, but I think we could do better for the money. That feels kind of like an "Ariza" signing to me, a vet who is supposed to bring a winning culture but then doesn't matter much.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Aminu is not washed nor ill-advided for the role he'd play here. Rebounding would still be an issue unless the 3 and the 1 improve a lot there

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I've been considering Favors too, btw.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ehh, Favors is a 5...jazz offense isn’t good when he plays alongside Gobert. Ayton is obviously a better offensive player than Gobert, but I still don’t like the fit.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'd switch between Ayton-Favors on offense/defense. Ayton is not protecting the rim but he can stay in front of perimeter players.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not big on Favors at all. More of a plodding 5/4 than a true PF.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah I don't think Favors is a very valuable NBA player in 2019-20. Certainly not on a team that is trying to groom Ayton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Favors is a solid 5. He’s ideally probably a high level backup.