Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 14956
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Superbone » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:44 pm
Yeah I don't think Favors is a very valuable NBA player in 2019-20. Certainly not on a team that is trying to groom Ayton.
Let's just say, he wouldn't be doing us any... favors. <whips off sunglasses>

Yeah, we need a real PF like Randle. A bull in a china shop traditional PF with size and skill.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by INFORMER » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm
Yeah, we need a real PF like Randle. A bull in a china shop traditional PF with size and skill.
I think that is one way they can go, but I don't think that is the directions they need to go.

Besides, getting rid of Ryan Anderson essentially took the Suns out of the running for pursuing Randle.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 14956
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Superbone » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm
Yeah, we need a real PF like Randle. A bull in a china shop traditional PF with size and skill.
I think that is one way they can go, but I don't think that is the directions they need to go.

Besides, getting rid of Ryan Anderson essentially took the Suns out of the running for pursuing Randle.
Enlighten me. What direction do they need to go?
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by INFORMER » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm

They just need to get someone who is better. ;)

Seriously, though, they can get a bruiser like Randle or they could get a small ball 4 that has power forward traits/abilities, like Houston has with PJ Tucker. Either direction would be a vast improvement.

Or they could get a combo of the two. Like Larry Nance Jr. He has traditional power forward size though not a bruiser, but he can hit the 3 ball and rebound.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 14956
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Superbone » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:39 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm
They just need to get someone who is better. ;)

Seriously, though, they can get a bruiser like Randle or they could get a small ball 4 that has power forward traits/abilities, like Houston has with PJ Tucker. Either direction would be a vast improvement.

Or they could get a combo of the two. Like Larry Nance Jr. He has traditional power forward size though not a bruiser, but he can hit the 3 ball and rebound.
That all makes sense to me. Let's see if Jones/Bower/Bukstein can come through.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Shabazz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 pm

I like the idea of a fully realized Dragan Bender next to Ayton. We may not get that for a few years (or ever), though.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Shabazz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 pm

I think the 2 ideal skills Ayton's frontcourt partner will possess are interior help defense and floor spacing. I don't know that Randle is great at either.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by INFORMER » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm

He isn't. But he is, bottom line, a very good player at a position of need. His passing would help too.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Shabazz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:46 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm
He isn't. But he is, bottom line, a very good player at a position of need. His passing would help too.
I wouldn't be opposed. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5569
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by In2ition » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:14 pm

He's not perfect, but he would be a huge upgrade from this year.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"
Nate Duncan / Morten Jensen
Ben Goliver / Jake Madison
Bryan Toporek / John Karalis
Danny Leroux / Jonathan Feigen
Howard Beck / Dan Devine
Dan Favale / Andy Bailey
Coach Nick / Jared Weiss
Marc Jiang / David Aldridge

User avatar
Ring_Wanted
Posts: 4571
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Ring_Wanted » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am

I am not sure you can find the right kind of PF to play alongsise Ayton. Brook Lopez, on the other hand, would be a terrific partner for our guy.

Have Lopez play C on defense with Ayton guarding stretch PFs and swithching. Also watch him block out people for rebounds. On offense the Splash Mountain provides space (and some surprising drives to the basket) while Ayton does his thing.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7713
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Split T » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:52 am

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am
I am not sure you can find the right kind of PF to play alongsise Ayton. Brook Lopez, on the other hand, would be a terrific partner for our guy.

Have Lopez play C on defense with Ayton guarding stretch PFs and swithching. Also watch him block out people for rebounds. On offense the Splash Mountain provides space (and some surprising drives to the basket) while Ayton does his thing.
JJJ would be perfect...Jonathan Isaac would be very nice. Myles Turner would be good.

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 5929
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Cap » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:44 am

14% chance it’s gonna be Zion.

Just about any opponent will give at least one of Zion-Ayton a big mismatch, and the other has the skills and mobility to play off him. Nasty.
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8810
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Indy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 am

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:52 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am
I am not sure you can find the right kind of PF to play alongsise Ayton. Brook Lopez, on the other hand, would be a terrific partner for our guy.

Have Lopez play C on defense with Ayton guarding stretch PFs and swithching. Also watch him block out people for rebounds. On offense the Splash Mountain provides space (and some surprising drives to the basket) while Ayton does his thing.
JJJ would be perfect...Jonathan Isaac would be very nice. Myles Turner would be good.
I haven't watched a lot of Isaac until lately. He is turning into the player I really hoped we drafted when we took Josh instead. Damn.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by INFORMER » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am

I'm still not impressed.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8810
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Indy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:24 am

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am
I'm still not impressed.
If the comparison is Josh or Isaac, I am impressed. But that is a historically low bar to set...

User avatar
Ring_Wanted
Posts: 4571
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Ring_Wanted » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:16 am

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:52 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am
I am not sure you can find the right kind of PF to play alongsise Ayton. Brook Lopez, on the other hand, would be a terrific partner for our guy.

Have Lopez play C on defense with Ayton guarding stretch PFs and swithching. Also watch him block out people for rebounds. On offense the Splash Mountain provides space (and some surprising drives to the basket) while Ayton does his thing.
JJJ would be perfect...Jonathan Isaac would be very nice. Myles Turner would be good.
Of course, but they are not attainable, in my opinion. Isaac is maybe a little too much of a SF, though. ORL has Bamba too, but he was a baby this season (Mitchell was a grown ass man btw). If lotto is s*** I might gamble with Bol Bol and see if/when he comes back he can impact the game.

Scarcity of the right fit at PF is what has me thinking about making Ayton a PF (on defense) and bringing in some rock who can shoot and rebound to complement him. Lopez, Theis...

Guys like Aminu, Marvin, etc. can play team defense and make a three, but are too weak to rebound consistently, which is also a problem. Of course, if nothing better is available, you still have a complete roster.

Randle is talented but I don't think he helps with any of our glaring needs. Again, much better than nothing.

Jamaychal Green might be a nice option. Ed Davis at backup center would improve things a lot I just know it. Or give me Dedmon already dammit.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by INFORMER » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 am

Dewayne Dedmon is probably the best free agent big man fit next to Ayton.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 14956
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Superbone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:37 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm
They just need to get someone who is better. ;)

Seriously, though, they can get a bruiser like Randle or they could get a small ball 4 that has power forward traits/abilities, like Houston has with PJ Tucker. Either direction would be a vast improvement.

Or they could get a combo of the two. Like Larry Nance Jr. He has traditional power forward size though not a bruiser, but he can hit the 3 ball and rebound.
Yeah, we had him and most here wanted him gone.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3269
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by specialsauce » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:19 am

Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm
They just need to get someone who is better. ;)

Seriously, though, they can get a bruiser like Randle or they could get a small ball 4 that has power forward traits/abilities, like Houston has with PJ Tucker. Either direction would be a vast improvement.

Or they could get a combo of the two. Like Larry Nance Jr. He has traditional power forward size though not a bruiser, but he can hit the 3 ball and rebound.
Yeah, we had him and most here wanted him gone.
Still happy he’s gone

Post Reply