Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Post by The Bobster »

"I’m not concerned with previous regimes or previous teams."

You'd better be. Right now, this is the only thing this franchise has going for it, and the Colangelo era is quickly becoming a distant memory.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:17 am
"I’m not concerned with previous regimes or previous teams."

You'd better be. Right now, this is the only thing this franchise has going for it, and the Colangelo era is quickly becoming a distant memory.
That sounds like a quote from a guy that hears a lot about how much people hate Sarver and wish for Jerry. And I don't mean just from other folks, but from Sarver, too.

And based on how many times he seemed to say "this was all my decision" leads me to... James doth protest too much, methinks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 am
Defense Against the dark Arts teachers last longer than Suns head coaches
Made my afternoon.
I think this is the 6th time I've read this joke in the last 24 hours.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I would prefer to see us go after Joerger; his teams always seem to overachieve and get the most out of what they have. But I think I agree with folks who say that Saver will never go for a willful veteran coach like that. My guess is we end up with Vanterpool, but, ugh. So mediocre. Why do we think we will succeed with these no-name bozos who have never done the job?

I would prefer Joerger, or if we want to be outside the box, maybe Becky Hammon. Despite the dumpster fire that is this franchise, it would make me proud to have the first female head coach. But there's no way Sarver would hire a woman. Given his political leanings there's no way he thinks of women as equals to men or would put one in a leadership position. And there's no way Hammon is dumb enough to walk into a situation as toxic as ours.
May I ask what the difference is between Vanterpool and Hammon besides gender? They both seem like they are well qualified assistants. I don’t understand why one hire would make us brilliant and the other immediately unsuccessful because we hired a bozo.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:40 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I would prefer to see us go after Joerger; his teams always seem to overachieve and get the most out of what they have. But I think I agree with folks who say that Saver will never go for a willful veteran coach like that. My guess is we end up with Vanterpool, but, ugh. So mediocre. Why do we think we will succeed with these no-name bozos who have never done the job?

I would prefer Joerger, or if we want to be outside the box, maybe Becky Hammon. Despite the dumpster fire that is this franchise, it would make me proud to have the first female head coach. But there's no way Sarver would hire a woman. Given his political leanings there's no way he thinks of women as equals to men or would put one in a leadership position. And there's no way Hammon is dumb enough to walk into a situation as toxic as ours.
May I ask what the difference is between Vanterpool and Hammon besides gender? They both seem like they are well qualified assistants. I don’t understand why one hire would make us brilliant and the other immediately unsuccessful because we hired a bozo.
There isn’t a difference. She’s just the sexy progressive pick. Just like Kokoskov as the first European. I like her for another team. But she is still the wrong choice here.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
That's a fair question. I don't think Hammon is the best choice overall. I guess I just meant that if we were going to take a chance on a new head coach with no previous head coaching experience, I'd rather have her than Vanterpool. The primary reasons are: she's been associated with perhaps the best coaching tree in the NBA, the Spurs; and I'd be proud for us to be the team to have the first female head coach in NBA history. Otherwise there aren't a ton of differences from Vanterpool. The Blazers do seem to be doing good things, so somebody from that org might do well as a head coach. He isn't a "bozo" as I implied; that comment was directed more at the types of people we've hired previously like Hunter and Watson.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You knew Igor was effed the moment they didn't draft Doncic. If they had taken Doncic, his bond with Igor would have probably made the two inseparable. But we had to have Ayton. It makes no sense to me to hire a guy who has a clear history and connection to Doncic and would probably have made a fantastic mentor and friend to him, and then draft Ayton instead. Why??

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:27 pm
You knew Igor was effed the moment they didn't draft Doncic. If they had taken Doncic, his bond with Igor would have probably made the two inseparable. But we had to have Ayton. It makes no sense to me to hire a guy who has a clear history and connection to Doncic and would probably have made a fantastic mentor and friend to him, and then draft Ayton instead. Why??
Yep.

Which is why I want the Cards to get Kyler Murray, if that’s who Kingsbury truly does want.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:21 pm
carey wrote:
That's a fair question. I don't think Hammon is the best choice overall. I guess I just meant that if we were going to take a chance on a new head coach with no previous head coaching experience, I'd rather have her than Vanterpool. The primary reasons are: she's been associated with perhaps the best coaching tree in the NBA, the Spurs; and I'd be proud for us to be the team to have the first female head coach in NBA history. Otherwise there aren't a ton of differences from Vanterpool. The Blazers do seem to be doing good things, so somebody from that org might do well as a head coach. He isn't a "bozo" as I implied; that comment was directed more at the types of people we've hired previously like Hunter and Watson.
This is just silly.

We’re trying to win basketball games not warm and fuzzies.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:00 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:
This is just silly.

Disagree. We want to win games, but we are certainly not trying.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:53 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:00 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:
This is just silly.

Disagree. We want to win games, but we are certainly not trying.
Lol

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wormwood wrote:
Made my afternoon.
You've got Wormwood's post taped above the toilet to read while ya stand there? :shock:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I read this on another site so take it for what it's worth:

"Gambo said today he heard Monty is very interested in the Suns job, and that they had reached out to him before firing Igor."
"Be Legendary."

carey

Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:I read this on another site so take it for what it's worth:

"Gambo said today he heard Monty is very interested in the Suns job, and that they had reached out to him before firing Igor."
I strongly doubt it. Coaches are a fraternity and one of their unwritten rules is to not even discuss or comment on a job if it’s occupied. Knowing the kind of guy Monty is this strikes me as utter b.s.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:24 pm
Superbone wrote:I read this on another site so take it for what it's worth:

I strongly doubt it. Coaches are a fraternity and one of their unwritten rules is to not even discuss or comment on a job if it’s occupied. Knowing the kind of guy Monty is this strikes me as utter b.s.
knowing gambo it strikes me as bs

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wormwood wrote:
Made my afternoon.
You've got Wormwood's post taped above the toilet to read while ya stand there? :shock:
Yes. And it was all over twitter

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It wasn't like any of those past 5 coaches were all that good. I wasn't happy to get rid of Igor, because I thought it sent the wrong message. But to be honest, I criticized him plenty for playing dumb lineups, mismanaging close games, cutting Shaq over Canaan, not looking like he had the players' backs, not understanding when to take a timeout, and taking it so slow with Ayton. It didn't look like the players responded to him for much of the season, but they looked better when they were healthy.

I guess they say that it's always darkest before the dawn. I hope things turn around quickly.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:05 pm
I read this on another site so take it for what it's worth:

Yep, he said he talked to a coach who told him that Monty wants the Suns job and might choose it over the Lakers job.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 pm
I guess they say that it's always darkest before the dawn.
That doesn’t necessarily mean the dawn isn’t in the distant future, it just means things will keep getting darker until it happens.

It only means the dawn is near if you assume this is the darkest it can possibly get. With Sarver running the show, that’s not a safe assumption.
Last edited by Cap on Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If we strike out on Monty, we're back to potentially hiring another 1st timer if it comes down to Tibbets or Vanterpool. I don't doubt we reached out Monty or his agent as a feeler given Bower's previous work relationship with Monty. I think that's the norm. Coaches won't (or shouldn't) speak publicly about jobs which aren't open, which Monty didn't.