Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Post by SDC »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 am
Becky Hammon? She's my dark horse.
theres that danger of her losing the team within the first 30 games. if u were her, i d pick a less unstable team.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:22 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 am
There may come a day, Mori, where you have to become our Jim Jones and we just collectively Jonestown our Suns fandom. At least until Sarver sells. It would be so cathartic.
I wouldn't do that. :-) But I feel like the more years the Suns are bad, the more reason I have to morph into a general NBA fan and less of a Suns fan. I'll watch whatever is the best game of the night (Bucks, Warriors, Rockets, etc.) rather than go out of my way to watch the Suns game. It isn't the losing, it's the sinking feeling that they don't have any plan or any people up top who can actually make things better. They'll never dig out of this if they have these idiots running the show.

We might literally never make the playoffs again under Sarver.
If you count the signing of Nash as a "Jerry" deal, we have yet to make the playoffs since that deal ended. He got a lot of good will in his first few years for having a winning team and multiple MVPs, and that probably made him think he knew what he was doing. That really damned the franchise.
i consider the 48-34 suns in 2014 a playoff team... theyd be tied for the third seed with toronto if they were in the east. if mcdo was smart enough to trade for pau instead of hoarding his low 1st pick, that team would have won at least 50 games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:39 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 pm
tj, ayton, jimmer, tyler johnson, bridges, oubre, jamal can shoot.
You forgot our best shooter: Daniels. And what is with your infatuation with Jimmer? He's been a big zero thus far.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 am
There may come a day, Mori, where you have to become our Jim Jones and we just collectively Jonestown our Suns fandom. At least until Sarver sells. It would be so cathartic.
Nah, cathartic is being able to share my misery with you all.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:22 am
MightyMoog wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:16 am
Biggest issue I had with Igor was that he wasn’t able to give the young guys any confidence. It felt like that was all Oubre once he got here. Pretty much everyone besides Booker kept playing as if they were constantly afraid to make a mistake. That’s the one thing Watson was good at, too bad he was the worst at everything else.

My vote is for Joerger. To me at least, seems like all his teams have overachieved.
He’d be an absolute disaster dealing with Sarver
Disaster might be an understatement. He seems to have a penchant for getting fired, even if his teams over-achieve.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:12 am
I don't think I have ever said this before, but Chuck is right. This is a dumpster fire. Our FO is a joke, in line with the Kings.

BUT... for anyone just looking at Sarver, don't think Booker wasn't asked about the firings of Watson, Triano, or Igor before they happened.
You're going to put this on Booker? Really?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 am
Superbone wrote:
He probably expected that the team would easily win more than 29 games.

Nah. Nobody could have expected that.
Shut up!!! :x :oops: :P :lol:
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:00 am
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You forgot our best shooter: Daniels. And what is with your infatuation with Jimmer? He's been a big zero thus far.
This is just silly. TJ only played half the year. Ayton didn't shoot more than 1 three all year. Jimmer? Really? Tyler shot 32%, Bridges shot 33%, Oubre shot 32%, and Jamal shot 33% from 3 this year. TJ and Daniels are the only guys that shot above 35% from 3. We need at least 3-4 rotation players shooting about 37%, and 2 that can hit in the upper 30s/low 40s.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:17 am
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I'm assuming you meant to type "19" because 29 would have led to a parade down Central Avenue.
Believe me, he knew what he was typing.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:05 am
Indy wrote:
I don't think I have ever said this before, but Chuck is right. This is a dumpster fire. Our FO is a joke, in line with the Kings.

BUT... for anyone just looking at Sarver, don't think Booker wasn't asked about the firings of Watson, Triano, or Igor before they happened.
Not putting it on him at all. Just saying that he likely supported the firing of all of them. You can't just look at Sarver. Maybe they were all good firings, but if that is the case, you need to look at the decision makers bringing them in. With as much the team talks about Booker being our face of the franchise and our cornerstone, do you think he was asked about each coach before hiring and before firing? Or are they just playing him lip-service?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:20 am
The Bobster wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I'm assuming you meant to type "19" because 29 would have led to a parade down Central Avenue.
Most of us picked the team to win 30 or more in the preseason poll.
Thank you!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 am
The Bobster wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Superbone placed a bet on the Suns winning more than 29 games. Said it was a sure thing. I’ve been ribbing him about it all season.
I said Josh Jackson would be better than KP!
The jury is still out. KP has got to be able to be on the floor.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:48 am
Suns request permission to interview Monty Williams and David Vanterpool (?)

https://www.philly.com/sixers/monty-wil ... 90423.html
The Suns fired Igor Kokoskov after just one year as their coach. Phoenix finished with the second-worst record in the NBA, 19-63, and also had the Western Conference’s worst record for the third consecutive season.
Ouch!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vanterpool it is. First time head coach. Fits the profile.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:08 am
Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:
This is just silly. TJ only played half the year. Ayton didn't shoot more than 1 three all year. Jimmer? Really? Tyler shot 32%, Bridges shot 33%, Oubre shot 32%, and Jamal shot 33% from 3 this year. TJ and Daniels are the only guys that shot above 35% from 3. We need at least 3-4 rotation players shooting about 37%, and 2 that can hit in the upper 30s/low 40s.
Maybe I've gone over to the dark side, but I'm with SDC on this one. There was plenty of good shooting on the roster throughout the season. The Suns just never figured out how to create open shots in the offense.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:34 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Maybe I've gone over to the dark side, but I'm with SDC on this one. There was plenty of good shooting on the roster throughout the season. The Suns just never figured out how to create open shots in the offense.
There were 99 guys in the league this year that took over 200 3s and made at least 35% of them. Zero were on the Suns. Anytime you can't have any of the top 100 guys in the league at a particular skill on your team, your are not well-constructed in that area. There are only 30 teams--you should have at least 2 or them, if not 3.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 am
Joeger seems toxic. I don't think he's on the list.

Gambo saying we want more development and less of a tactician as our coach. I'm just at a loss for words.
Vanterpool fits the bill.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:34 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:

There were 99 guys in the league this year that took over 200 3s and made at least 35% of them. Zero were on the Suns. Anytime you can't have any of the top 100 guys in the league at a particular skill on your team, your are not well-constructed in that area. There are only 30 teams--you should have at least 2 or them, if not 3.
Just looked it up to check--only PHX and LAL didn't have one of these guys. Most teams had at least 2. Only 2 playoff teams didn't have 3.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:05 am
Indy wrote:

Not putting it on him at all. Just saying that he likely supported the firing of all of them. You can't just look at Sarver. Maybe they were all good firings, but if that is the case, you need to look at the decision makers bringing them in. With as much the team talks about Booker being our face of the franchise and our cornerstone, do you think he was asked about each coach before hiring and before firing? Or are they just playing him lip-service?
All good questions. I am wondering how much say he has in hirings. Like you said, that's the bigger issue. Why aren't we hiring any coaches with any staying ability. Something is wrong in the coaching evaluation process.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The great Matt Barnes speaks:

"Be Legendary."