Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:29 am

Would you trade #2 for Ben? I would
No way in hell. I feel bad for whichever team gets tricked into giving Ben Simmons a max deal in the near future. Dude will never have a J.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:

Yes.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:

I wouldn't. I think Morant could be the best point guard in the league one day. I think Simmons lack of a jumper is a huge drawback. You just have to be able to at least be a threat to score consistently from the PG position.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Hard pass.
I’m done with the Celtics players

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 am
Split T wrote:

I wouldn't. I think Morant could be the best point guard in the league one day. I think Simmons lack of a jumper is a huge drawback. You just have to be able to at least be a threat to score consistently from the PG position.
He’s still 22...the shot will improve. And just look at him as a PF. Add another shooting guard that can defend the 1 and shoot, and you can surround Simmons with 4 shooters.

Ja Morant isn’t exactly a shooter either. Simmons has the ball handling, passing, and athleticism of Morant, packaged in a 6’10 240 lb body. Guy can defend every position.

I think his lack of a jumpshot is overblown. It doesn’t hurt him during the regular season when he averages 16/8/8 with elite defense. I think we can find a way for him to be effective in the post season. If he’s not running the offense, he should be used as a screener...let him roll to the hoop. He’d be a great lob threat and fantastic attacking on the short roll.

Even if he pops out and the defender leaves him, because he can’t shoot, that gives him the ball with tons of space to attack.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have concerns about Ben Simmons's game, but I think I would trade the #2 pick (along with whatever salary cap ballast) for him. Morant seems like a really intriguing prospect, but Ben is already elite at many aspects of the game. His passing and ballhandling are incredible; he sets up others in the offense and gets a bunch of assists. He's great in transition and around the basket. He plays great defense. Really the only problem is his awful jumpshot. That is an issue, but as others have said, I think you mitigate that by surrounding him with other good shooters. The expected value of Morant is way lower than the known value of Simmons.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Kidd could learn to hit a 3, so can Simmons. All needs is to be able to hit a corner 3. And if not, he's a walking triple double regardless. Work around his one weakness, don't pass on him because of it.

I don't think I would trade the #2 pick for him even tho I'm not as sold on Morant. But outside of the top 2 I'd make the deal. Say #3 pick and some combo of TJ, Jackson, maybe Bridges.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Split T wrote:

He’s still 22...the shot will improve. And just look at him as a PF. Add another shooting guard that can defend the 1 and shoot, and you can surround Simmons with 4 shooters.

Ja Morant isn’t exactly a shooter either. Simmons has the ball handling, passing, and athleticism of Morant, packaged in a 6’10 240 lb body. Guy can defend every position.

I think his lack of a jumpshot is overblown. It doesn’t hurt him during the regular season when he averages 16/8/8 with elite defense. I think we can find a way for him to be effective in the post season. If he’s not running the offense, he should be used as a screener...let him roll to the hoop. He’d be a great lob threat and fantastic attacking on the short roll.

Even if he pops out and the defender leaves him, because he can’t shoot, that gives him the ball with tons of space to attack.
It’s not just that he can’t hit the three. He can’t hit Anything that’s not a layup. He’s scared to even shoot

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Simmons is a star, and you've got to give up something good to get him. If all I have to give up is the #2 pick in a draft that only seems to have one sure star, I would be all over that deal. Since he's still on his rookie deal, the Suns would still have the salary flexibility to pursue a free agent too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:

What do you have to pay to keep him after next year? 30M/year like Booker just did?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:38 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Hard pass.
I’m done with the Celtics players
At least he has good English...
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:31 am
Split T wrote:

What do you have to pay to keep him after next year? 30M/year like Booker just did?
Yes

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am
Split T wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Split T wrote:

It’s not just that he can’t hit the three. He can’t hit Anything that’s not a layup. He’s scared to even shoot
I’m aware, he’s still very effective without shooting.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:25 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am
Split T wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Split T wrote:

I’m aware, he’s still very effective without shooting.
of their big 4 this year, he was the most expendable come playoff time.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, his lack of effectiveness in the playoffs is concerning, but I think philly could have used him better.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:11 pm
Ya, his lack of effectiveness in the playoffs is concerning, but I think philly could have used him better.
So our new coach wasn't able to help find a way to use him? :P

But yes, I would trade the #2 pick for him, just because it's preferable over adding yet another rookie.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

We're not getting Simmons without giving up #1 pick, Ayton or Booker. And if we could you do it in a heartbeat.

He's been ineffective against Toronto.. Not in general.

Besides he's with Klutch so ain't coming near this joint

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Split T wrote:

But yes, I would trade the #2 pick for him, just because it's preferable over adding yet another rookie.
He’s keeping his value low so we can trade for him cheaper this summer ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't even think Simmons has been that bad against Toronto. They just don't send him many outlet passes to get going in the open court. He is scoring efficiently and often has Kwahi guarding him, which should free up his teammates to attack lesser defenders.

In any case, he's soooo much better than anyone on the Suns not named Booker that you have to do it if you can get him for cheap. Like Shel says, just put the ball in his hands.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:44 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Split T wrote:

He’s keeping his value low so we can trade for him cheaper this summer ;)
This does actually bring up an interesting discussion. It's always felt weird to me that a team can hire a coach who is still working for another team in the playoffs. It just seems like it has to distract their focus, and could even present a conflict of interest.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.