Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 pm
If we want Booker to be happy we should be targeting D’Angelo Russell. They are close friends, and as a RFA I’m sure he could force his way out of Brooklyn very easily to come play with Booker.
Paying Dlo and Booker 70M/year to be our starting backcourt would be a disaster.
Disaster seems like a strong reaction when we area a 19 win team. I'm not a big DLo guy, but I think you could build a playoff team around those two.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
If we want Booker to be happy we should be targeting D’Angelo Russell. They are close friends, and as a RFA I’m sure he could force his way out of Brooklyn very easily to come play with Booker.
Paying Dlo and Booker 70M/year to be our starting backcourt would be a disaster.
Disaster seems like a strong reaction when we area a 19 win team. I'm not a big DLo guy, but I think you could build a playoff team around those two.
That is a fair point. I could just never see a team of those two guys competing for a championship. You would be really hamstrung from a cap situation, and have to pay Ayton big dollars before they come off the books. You would have 100M tied up in those 3. I can't see that being a good option.

But I agree that those guys might be able to break us into the playoffs in a couple years.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 am
Yeah "Meth" and "Bumpy" are names people gave him and they are awful. I think we resort to using them so we don't have to get confused between TJ Warren and Tyler Johnson. It sucks to have to type more than 4-5 letters when referring to players.
What about TJW for Warren and TJ2 for Tyler

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:34 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
That is a fair point. I could just never see a team of those two guys competing for a championship. You would be really hamstrung from a cap situation, and have to pay Ayton big dollars before they come off the books. You would have 100M tied up in those 3. I can't see that being a good option.

But I agree that those guys might be able to break us into the playoffs in a couple years.
You can always trade someone down the line as well.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:22 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:24 pm
I feel like TJ McConnell will be our pg next year. Probably draft Garland or White
That would be awful. We need to be aiming higher.
Well I’m sure we’ll aim higher, but I’m not sure there is a great option. McConnell isn’t bad and I’m sure we’ll draft a pg at 6
I'd rather start Tyler at PG next year.

McConnell is a capable situational backup. Philly was desperate for additional shot creation in the playoffs and he couldn't be trusted. According to my arbitrary off-the-top of my head PG rankings, he's probably the 45th-50th best PG in the NBA.

I'd rather any of Tyus Jones, Trey Burke or Shabazz Napier if that's the caliber of PG we're going to target. They'll probably all command contracts in the same range.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I get talent is talent, but DLo is exactly the kind of guard we don't need. BFF or not with Booker, we should pass.

Love the 'news' that we could be after Dedmon.

Wouldn't hate TJ at PG, but indeed we should aim higher.

Please, don't enter the draft adamant that you have to draft a PG. Drafting for need when we are this bare is not a sound decision.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo also said that he expects all of the following players to be gone:

Warren, Jackson, Holmes, Bender, Melton, Okobo

I guess that means only 4 or 5 players will be left from last season? Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, and maybe Johnson. Perhaps Jamal Crawford also?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:19 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:47 pm
Opinions on Beverly seem pretty split here.
I love his 3pt shooting and that he wouldn't be afraid to call guys out when needed. I hate his lack of being on the court, his meh point guard skills, and he won't be afraid to call guys out even when it isn't needed.
I love that he plays like he gives a fuck. I couldn't really care much less about the rest of his game. This team needs some dogs.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Interesting that "Sarver's goal" was more former players on staff. Was that direction given to Monty or just a general preference? Bryant's been on some good benches for a while now and is a former Suns player (decent backup big), Blake and Green are relatively new to coaching but both were solid NBA guards in their own right. Ayers would be the veteran assistant as he's been around the past 20 years. Also saw we're hiring Darko Rajakovic from the Thunder staff. So our bench will include coaches from the Thunder, Ws, Blazers and Pels. Not too bad in terms of adding from successful teams.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:42 am

Interesting that "Sarver's goal" was more former players on staff. Was that direction given to Monty or just a general preference? Bryant's been on some good benches for a while now and is a former Suns player (decent backup big), Blake and Green are relatively new to coaching but both were solid NBA guards in their own right. Ayers would be the veteran assistant as he's been around the past 20 years. Also saw we're hiring Darko Rajakovic from the Thunder staff. So our bench will include coaches from the Thunder, Ws, Blazers and Pels. Not too bad in terms of adding from successful teams.
Also interesting that we've heard nothing about Jeff Bower since he was hired.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:20 am

I guess that means only 4 or 5 players will be left from last season? Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, and maybe Johnson. Perhaps Jamal Crawford also?
I can't wait to watch half of those guys in the playoffs next year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:20 am

Melton and Okobo? Did he say why both? I guess if we’re planning on drafting a pg and signing a vet, that doesn’t leave any time for either.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:22 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:24 pm
I feel like TJ McConnell will be our pg next year. Probably draft Garland or White
That would be awful. We need to be aiming higher.
Well I’m sure we’ll aim higher, but I’m not sure there is a great option. McConnell isn’t bad and I’m sure we’ll draft a pg at 6
I'd rather start Tyler at PG next year.

McConnell is a capable situational backup. Philly was desperate for additional shot creation in the playoffs and he couldn't be trusted. According to my arbitrary off-the-top of my head PG rankings, he's probably the 45th-50th best PG in the NBA.

I'd rather any of Tyus Jones, Trey Burke or Shabazz Napier if that's the caliber of PG we're going to target. They'll probably all command contracts in the same range.
I’m not necessarily saying it’s a great idea...I just don’t see anything big working out for us.

Dinwiddie - Just don’t see the nets making that trade
Brogdon - Bucks will keep
Conley, Paul, Lowry, etc. - We’re not going after old pg’s

We’ll probably draft Garland or White and want to add a vet that slowly gives way to the young guy. Collison would be better, but probably costs more. If we draft a pg, I’d imagine we spend more of our FA money on a PF, hence not having the money for Collison.

We’ll see what happens, obviously I could be completely wrong.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Just trade for dragic, who is on an expiring contract, THEN add one more vet pg: drose, Jeremy Lin, or Rubio.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:45 am
Just trade for dragic, who is on an expiring contract, THEN add one more vet pg: drose, Jeremy Lin, or Rubio.
Pass on Dragic. Hell no on DRose. Lin has really declined so I'm not sure how he's much of an upgrade to Tyler Johnson. And Rubio couldn't throw a rock into the ocean, though he can sure pass.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 am
SDC wrote:
Pass on Dragic. Hell no on DRose. Lin has really declined so I'm not sure how he's much of an upgrade to Tyler Johnson. And Rubio couldn't throw a rock into the ocean, though he can sure pass.
Why not DRose? Just curious
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:16 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 am
SDC wrote:
Why not DRose? Just curious
Don't really need a guy that puts up 15 shots a game out there when I'd really love to see Ayton take the next step and that requires him getting touches. I want a proven distributor.

Plus, how can you just assume his knees and health are going to hold up again? That's a gamble not worth taking.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed. Rose isn't a guy you bring onto this roster.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Rose would be fine as a bench scorer, kinda the Crawford role, but he’s not gonna help run the offense much. We’d atill need a pg.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Rose is toxic IMO. Also very unreliable due to his health.