Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by iLLmatic »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:17 pm
It sounds like Gambo thinks the Suns will target Joseph at the beginning of free agency with a contract of 7-9 million per year. He says they also want to use cap space on a PF and SG.

The PFs they’ll be looking at: Thaddeus Young, Mike Scott, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Frank Kaminsky.

SGs they’ll look at are Rodney McGruder and Wayne Ellington (yes, the guy we waived because he didn’t want to be here).

In other words we are trying to waste our cap space in a worse way than the summer of Warrick, C*******s, and T******u.
Jokes on all the Suns fans who thought the front office was going to make a splash this year. What a very underwhelming off-season. We will be a team stuck in the 35-40 win based on James Jones mentality. Im sure James Jones saw a lot of himself in Cam Johnson.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Who wants to start the Booker trade options thread?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:35 pm
1 'A' player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6 'C+' players.

(I still have the Mike Conley blues)
So true.

This is Hakim Warrick, Hedo Turkoglu and Childress all over again. Blowing our money on below average players instead of signing stars and then filling out the roster on cheap deals.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’m really banking on Gambo being wrong. If his bullshit turns out to be true, we’re looking at another 5 years of being a bottom dweller.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:59 pm
I’m really banking on Gambo being wrong. If his bullshit turns out to be true, we’re looking at another 5 years of being a bottom dweller.
I'm gonna be stuck with this name forever lol.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cory Joseph is only Gambo's thought. He hasn't reported that it's someone they are interested in. Honestly, it makes zero sense to me. He's not any better than Tyler, in fact he's older and worse at almost everything, imo. He's definitely shot worse than Tyler, and if this team is prioritizing shooting, he doesn't make a ton of sense as a starter.

If anyone cares what I think, the choice should be Tomas Satoransky. He's the best shooter, best passer of the 3, and ultimately the best player and best fit on the roster they are trying to build, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:01 pm
Cory Joseph is only Gambo's thought. He hasn't reported that it's someone they are interested in. Honestly, it makes zero sense to me. He's not any better than Tyler, in fact he's older and worse at almost everything, imo. He's definitely shot worse than Tyler, and if this team is prioritizing shooting, he doesn't make a ton of sense as a starter.

If anyone cares what I think, the choice should be Tomas Satoransky. He's the best shooter, best passer of the 3, and ultimately the best player and best fit on the roster they are trying to build, imo.
Yet I believe exactly what he saying.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm a Sato fan. I think Noah Vonleh fills another area of need.

But we need to be aiming higher.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Jackson has to go. He waisted his talent on making poor lifestyle choices that detract from being competitive. Bridges is out working his ass off and JJ is mired in getting into trouble and train wrecking his life. Their should be a clause where your contract can be voided if you commit and are convicted an offense of child endangerment.

SDC

Post by SDC »

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cory Joseph s a decent backup. Sign him then sign one more PG.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Only problem is that we have 4 backups already.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:42 am
Only problem is that we have 4 backups already.
No more backups! No more backups! No more backups!
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Does Gambo ever have a decent track record with reporting the free agent targets in the past? He draft scoops aren’t exactly accurate. Can everyone please not lose their shit so early in the preseason over lazy reporting.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Saric is not worthless, but value wise PHX essentially traded #6 for him and a low 1stR/high 2nd.

It will come down to how well Culver does (or your available kid of preference).
But what are we talking about here: the trade or the choice made at 11? The trade will easily be worth it if Saric becomes a key part of the core.

Choosing Cameron Johnson at 11 will never be a good decision. He can certainly contribute, but there will be a sizable list of players taken after him that will be significantly better.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:25 am
And now we wait... Jones won’t be explaining his decisions until they become official on July 6th at the beginning of the league year:
Suns officials said General Manager James Jones can't talk about the selection of Johnson or Jerome or trades until they become official July 6 when the league year begins.
How convenient.
I have no desire to hear his explanations because it is going to be more of the same nonsense. Teenagers don't win basketball games...blah...blah...we're trying to win now...blah...blah...blah.

There is nothing that he can say to explain the Kurt Thom...er...TJ Warren deal. And we already know Cameron Johnson is a Jeff Bower indulgence in nostalgia and that he is essentially James Jones reloaded. No explanation needed.

Cameron Johnson is a good shooter; Ty Jerome is smart and can shoot, but is about as athletic as Robert Sarver. Let's move on.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 am
How would people feel if we simply drafted Clarke at 11 and did everything else the same?

Or if after landing 11, we traded that to Boston for 20/22/Baynes and took Johnson/Jerome without sending out the Mil Pick?

To me the only obvious mistake is just taking Cam Johnson way too high. I was fine with every other move...though losing 32 hurt a little, but Warren needed to go.
Making a better decision at 11 would have made things a lot better, but the Warren deal would have still let a bad taste in the mouth.

And to be clear, it didn't have to be Clarke at 11. I would have been fine PJ Washinston or Nikeil Alexander Williams. Shoot, Goga Bitadze would have been better. Or just trade back! And if the Suns had to have an "experienced" shooter, why on Earth is Dylan Windler not a Sun?! He is better than Cameron Johnson and Ty Jerome.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:51 am
Johnson will be in a minutes crunch from day 1 as he can't really create and has a redundant offensive skill-set to Bridges.

So basically, we still need to sign a defensive 4 and once we do it will be even harder to find minutes for Johnson. We still need to sign a shot creator and once we do it will be harder to find minutes for Jerome.
It is almost as if Ryan is still the GM. How is Johnson going to get on the floor to even have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact? Is he going to play the 4?! That is going to go as well as playing Ariza and Warren at the 4.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:00 pm

It is almost as if Ryan is still the GM. How is Johnson going to get on the floor to even have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact? Is he going to play the 4?! That is going to go as well as playing Ariza and Warren at the 4.
Yes, I think he'll essentially play behind Saric as constructed currently.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:17 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 pm

You know way more about the cap than i do, so forgive the question. Why couldn't he be traded last night?
The uncertainty of whether or not he still had a remaining year on his deal.
Yeah, he technically wasn't even on the roster until he exercised his option. So if he had been included in a deal that involved a 2019 draft pick, the team dealing that pick would have to make the selection for the other, while there still could have been a chance that the deal couldn't be made.