Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:23 pm
I thought we just drafted Satoransky in Ty Jerome.
Satoransky is more athletic, but I get what you are saying. They are essentially the same type of player.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:17 pm
The PFs they’ll be looking at: Thaddeus Young, Mike Scott, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Frank Kaminsky.
Funny thing about Kaminsky: he is a stretch 4 that can't actually shoot.

I'd take Noah Vonley or Luke Kornet over any of those guys.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:00 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:51 am
Johnson will be in a minutes crunch from day 1 as he can't really create and has a redundant offensive skill-set to Bridges.

So basically, we still need to sign a defensive 4 and once we do it will be even harder to find minutes for Johnson. We still need to sign a shot creator and once we do it will be harder to find minutes for Jerome.
It is almost as if Ryan is still the GM. How is Johnson going to get on the floor to even have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact? Is he going to play the 4?! That is going to go as well as playing Ariza and Warren at the 4.
I think it’s gonna be Oubre and Bridges playing backup 4 minutes. Although Gambo says we’re signing a PF, SG, and PG still, so maybe johnson is playing in the g league

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

So the most NBA-ready, 23-year-old rookie will need to start off in the G-League?

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:35 pm
So the most NBA-ready, 23-year-old rookie will need to start off in the G-League?
If we sign a PF and a SG in free agency, where does he play? If we do sign those spots, they need to be 3rd string, because Cam needs to play.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:58 pm

This is Hakim Warrick, H**o T******u and C*******s all over again. Blowing our money on below average players instead of signing stars and then filling out the roster on cheap deals.
The Suns don't have the money to sign "stars." The cap space they're looking at right now is just above the mid-level exception money.

And remember, those guys in 2010 got/had substantial deals (at that time); I don't think the Suns will be handing out substantial deals. If they're smart, they'll focus on the bargain deals.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:36 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Saric is not worthless, but value wise PHX essentially traded #6 for him and a low 1stR/high 2nd.

It will come down to how well Culver does (or your available kid of preference).
But what are we talking about here: the trade or the choice made at 11? The trade will easily be worth it if Saric becomes a key part of the core.

Choosing Cameron Johnson at 11 will never be a good decision. He can certainly contribute, but there will be a sizable list of players taken after him that will be significantly better.
The trade itself is questionable to me. Culver was there and he is a very interesting prospect. In any case, you value Saric more than I do. I only can see him as part of the core in the sense that he is a starter at the moment, but I don't like his fit overall and he has to rebound from his struggles in MIN.

Then you have what Jones did with #11, which is impossible to defend.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:47 am
There is nothing that he can say to explain the Kurt Thom...er...TJ Warren deal.
Heh. And then Jones followed it by cutting the cap savings in half by adding $5.4M to the cap in form of Baynes and #24.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:17 pm
The PFs they’ll be looking at: Thaddeus Young, Mike Scott, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Frank Kaminsky.
Funny thing about Kaminsky: he is a stretch 4 that can't actually shoot.

I'd take Noah Vonley or Luke Kornet over any of those guys.
We paid Mike Scott NOT to play for us 2 years ago so of course we’d be interested and n paying him again.

We had Kaminsky in Anderson only Anderson shit the bed. Don’t need anymore 1 dimensional players
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:17 pm
specialsauce wrote:

This is Hakim Warrick, H**o T******u and C*******s all over again. Blowing our money on below average players instead of signing stars and then filling out the roster on cheap deals.
The Suns don't have the money to sign "stars." The cap space they're looking at right now is just above the mid-level exception money.

And remember, those guys in 2010 got/had substantial deals (at that time); I don't think the Suns will be handing out substantial deals. If they're smart, they'll focus on the bargain deals.
:lol: :lol:

Let’s see how you react when they give JOSEPH a 3 year 27 mill deal, effectively guaranteeing we don’t have room for any stars any time soon.

I’d easily stretch and waive TJ and trade Jackson and sign Brogdon or DLo or Kyrie. Or at least try.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:11 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:17 pm
specialsauce wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Let’s see how you react when they give JOSEPH a 3 year 27 mill deal, effectively guaranteeing we don’t have room for any stars any time soon.

I’d easily stretch and waive TJ and trade Jackson and sign Brogdon or DLo or Kyrie. Or at least try.
Not here to comment on Cory Joseph, but there isn’t much we can do to ruin our cap situation for next season. We’re gonna have 20+ million and could easily have more.

I guess picking up Jackson’s 4th year could hurt, but the chance of that is zero.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Kyrie doesn't want to come here, and those moves won't create enough room for him. He is in supermax territory now.

I'm all for going after Brogdon, I just don't think he is attainable; Milwaukee is going to match. But I would gladly offer 4 yrs, $88 million to Brogdon. And that is the kind offer it is going to take to have Milwaukee even consider not matching.

I'm not interested in tying up money in D'Angelo Russell, but the Suns could do worse.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:55 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Kyrie doesn't want to come here, and those moves won't create enough room for him. He is in supermax territory now.

I'm all for going after Brogdon, I just don't think he is attainable; Milwaukee is going to match. But I would gladly offer 4 yrs, $88 million to Brogdon. And that is the kind offer it is going to take to have Milwaukee even consider not matching.

I'm not interested in tying up money in D'Angelo Russell, but the Suns could do worse.
They need to at least try.

And don’t settle at overpaying Joseph who is no better than what we have. If you can’t get a significant upgrade then just fill out your roster with cheap replacements and wait for another opportunity. But they wasted their assets now and have very little to offer in trades. That is so disappointing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I agree on Joseph. He has some value in that he takes care of the ball, defends, and has a decent 3-point shot, but he isn't worth a multi-year deal at significant, mid-level money.

carey

Post by carey »

Tyler Johnson, if he can get back to his MIami shooting numbers, is much better than anything being rumored so far save Brogdon/Russel who are both pipe dreams. I expect him to settle somewhere around 43-45 from the field and mid to upper 30s from 3. Much better than Rubio or Joseph and he takes care of the ball as well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm
I agree on Joseph. He has some value in that he takes care of the ball, defends, and has a decent 3-point shot, but he isn't worth a multi-year deal at significant, mid-level money.
MLE for him would not be bad depending on your context. The upside is limited but so is the financial commitment of a MLE contract. It just sound heavy nowadays because MLE starts at almost $10M.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

The Tyler Johnson contract could be valuable at the trade deadline. Use the cap space on a athletic defensive PF and maybe try to get the PG via trade using our expiring contracts. We need to be patient and not do stupid things. Josh Jackson can stay at home for a year.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Sarver's plan: Spend all the cap space on Jabari Parker on a 4 year contract, cut melton / okobo / jackson, then grab whichever point guard is left at the end of free agency.

? / Johnson / Jerome / Lecque
Booker / Johnson / Jerome
Oubre / Bridge / Cam
Parker / Saric / Cam
Ayton / Baynes

Word will come out of training camp that Lecque is really pushing the older guards and will compete for playing time. That's great, they'll say, because Booker has bulked up and is ready to spend more time playing SF.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SB Nation article bashing our recent moves.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2 ... future-wtf

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:39 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm
MLE for him would not be bad depending on your context. The upside is limited but so is the financial commitment of a MLE contract. It just sound heavy nowadays because MLE starts at almost $10M.
It’s a waste of resources. You have limited money, why take up 10 million that could be used to nab a mich higher impact player when he only provides marginal improvement over what we currently have or any other PG we could sign on the minimum