Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Mori Chu »

We don't need another marginal PG eating up our cap space. We have too many mediocre or bad players as it is.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:26 pm
We don't need another marginal PG eating up our cap space. We have too many mediocre or bad players as it is.
:lol: no wait, that was last year’s main idea.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:15 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:39 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm
I agree on Joseph. He has some value in that he takes care of the ball, defends, and has a decent 3-point shot, but he isn't worth a multi-year deal at significant, mid-level money.
MLE for him would not be bad depending on your context. The upside is limited but so is the financial commitment of a MLE contract. It just sound heavy nowadays because MLE starts at almost $10M.
It’s a waste of resources. You have limited money, why take up 10 million that could be used to nab a mich higher impact player when he only provides marginal improvement over what we currently have or any other PG we could sign on the minimum
I'm not advocating PHX to go for him at MLE money. Just stating that I think MLE is not excessive for Joseph. For instance, if I were a team over the cap in need of a backup PG, I would be ok offering him such deal, although I'd probably look at others first.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:37 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:15 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:39 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm
I agree on Joseph. He has some value in that he takes care of the ball, defends, and has a decent 3-point shot, but he isn't worth a multi-year deal at significant, mid-level money.
MLE for him would not be bad depending on your context. The upside is limited but so is the financial commitment of a MLE contract. It just sound heavy nowadays because MLE starts at almost $10M.
It’s a waste of resources. You have limited money, why take up 10 million that could be used to nab a mich higher impact player when he only provides marginal improvement over what we currently have or any other PG we could sign on the minimum
I'm not advocating PHX to go for him at MLE money. Just stating that I think MLE is not excessive for Joseph. For instance, if I were a team over the cap in need of a backup PG, I would be ok offering him such deal, although I'd probably look at others first.
$10M for a backup point guard that is talented is not bad. Corey Joseph is not that. He’s a dime a dozen.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we sign Joseph to a 2 year 15 million dollar deal, I’ll be underwhelmed, but that would be a fine contract. Just don’t sign any of these mediocre options to deals longer than 2 years.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:If we sign Joseph to a 2 year 15 million dollar deal, I’ll be underwhelmed, but that would be a fine contract. Just don’t sign any of these mediocre options to deals longer than 2 years.
Why??? Tyler Johnson is better than Joseph at just about everything. Whoever we sign legitimately needs to be better than he is. Of the guards being discussed lately it's basically just Brogdon and Russel. Those are the only guys I'm tying up my cap space for.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am
Split T wrote:If we sign Joseph to a 2 year 15 million dollar deal, I’ll be underwhelmed, but that would be a fine contract. Just don’t sign any of these mediocre options to deals longer than 2 years.
Why??? Tyler Johnson is better than Joseph at just about everything. Whoever we sign legitimately needs to be better than he is. Of the guards being discussed lately it's basically just Brogdon and Russel. Those are the only guys I'm tying up my cap space for.
I’m not advocating for it, but I’m not sure you’re right about Tyler. Joseph is a better defender and takes better care of the ball. Tyler has a nice 12 game stretch for us where his A/TO ratio was very good, but that isn’t backed up historically.

Of all the free agent point guards, only George hill had a higher DRPM than Joseph. Joseph rarely turns the ball over and while he struggled last year, has historically been an ok 3pt shooter. Tyler also shot very poorly for us last year.

And a 2 year 15 million dollar deal literally doesn’t impact our cap space much at all. We’re gonna have a bunch in 2020 and 2021 unless we do something very stupid.

Again, Joseph isn’t my first choice, he’s like my 6th, but it’s just a meh move, hardly a bad one.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 am
And a 2 year 15 million dollar deal literally doesn’t impact our cap space much at all. We’re gonna have a bunch in 2020 and 2021 unless we do something very stupid.
Uh, oh. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

What are everyone’s thoughts on Saric? Is he a long term guy? How much would he cost in restricted free agency next year? Should we consider offering him an extension this summer? At what number would you be comfortable?

I honestly don’t have a good read on his value. I heard talk of 15 million a year, but that seems crazy to me. He feels more like a 10 mil a year guy to me, but who knows. How he plays this year will be key.

His cap hold is 10 million next year. I wouldn’t sign him to an extension unless the first year salary is below that number.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:59 pm
What are everyone’s thoughts on Saric? Is he a long term guy? How much would he cost in restricted free agency next year? Should we consider offering him an extension this summer? At what number would you be comfortable?

I honestly don’t have a good read on his value. I heard talk of 15 million a year, but that seems crazy to me. He feels more like a 10 mil a year guy to me, but who knows. How he plays this year will be key.

His cap hold is 10 million next year. I wouldn’t sign him to an extension unless the first year salary is below that number.
Why even think about it until he’s got a season with us under his belt?
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:

It's nice to have an NBA player at PF.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:

I’m stoked. He creates his own shot, finds cutters, hustles, and has deep range. Minny just sucked. I think Monty will know what to do with him. I think people are over reacting to the trade.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Saric played his best when Philly was mostly without Simmons and Embiid. I'm a little worried that he'll get out-alpha'd again by Booker, but hopefully the staff gives him the freedom and confidence to play his game. He's also playing for his second contract, so we should see the best of what he can do this season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm
Split T wrote:

Why even think about it until he’s got a season with us under his belt?
Because he might value longevity/security right now, and we might get a better deal.

I still don't think it is worth it, yet. It would be one thing if we were adding a key piece to a well-functioning, stable team. But we are anything but. We are adding what appears to be a really good fit at PF to a dumpster fire of a team. 19 wins, new GM, new coach, new training staff, probably even new ball boys/girls. Likely a new radio play-by-play guy. We are at our lowest ever.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’d consider it if he took something like 4/42 or less, otherwise I think it’s best to see how he plays.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From Lowe's article:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/270 ... t-decision
The Suns will sign a veteran point guard, and Devin Booker has campaigned for Russell -- a close friend. But other voices within the Suns may not share Booker's unabashed enthusiasm, sources say. They have only about $14 million or so in cap space as of now. We'll see how Phoenix approaches the point guard market.
Guess we'll see. It would suck if we don't sign Russell and Book turns sour on the franchise. Then again, it would suck to sign Russell to a max deal just because Booker wants him and not have him be worth it or be a bad fit.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 am
From Lowe's article:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/270 ... t-decision
The Suns will sign a veteran point guard, and Devin Booker has campaigned for Russell -- a close friend. But other voices within the Suns may not share Booker's unabashed enthusiasm, sources say. They have only about $14 million or so in cap space as of now. We'll see how Phoenix approaches the point guard market.
Guess we'll see. It would suck if we don't sign Russell and Book turns sour on the franchise. Then again, it would suck to sign Russell to a max deal just because Booker wants him and not have him be worth it or be a bad fit.
We are f*cked both way. Good times indeed.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Split T

Post by Split T »

I see the appeal of Russell. He’s a 3rd star(I wonder if we consider Oubre our 3rd star) and another ball handler who can get his own shot. But he also isn’t an ideal fit. He’s better with the ball in his hands, doesn’t defend and turns the ball over.

He’s a better player than most the other pg’s on the market, but he might not be the best fit. Though there really isn’t a perfect fit.

I’m curious to see what we do. Hopefully we don’t go straight for Joseph as there are a lot of more intriguing options(Jones, Wright, Satoransky, Rubio, Beverley, Collison, Rozier) not to mention Russell and Brogdon.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It seems they want to save cap room for the future or future trades and keep Tyler around. With Tyler, Jackson(saying his option gets turned down and they can't trade him away) Melton, Baynes, and Saric, they have around $37 mil in expiring contracts. They could even sign a FA for 1 yr coming up, and have about $50 mil in expiring deals on the books.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, we are set up pretty nicely to strike big in 2020 or 2021 free agency. A big reason why I don’t think we need to do anything drastic this free agency. Just sign a competent pg to a 2 year deal and go from there.