Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:46 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 pm
I remember the last time we apeased one of our “Stars” by bringing over his Bro, and how well that went. Of course you can argue that Booker is a real Star, but he hasn’t lifted this team so much either, he sometimes looks just like our “star by default”. Even if you want to consider him a Star big enough to demand this, all the Lebron teams had to pay a very high price onterms of money, dignity, future and flesh, to keep the King happy, not sure if a title is worth it, but I’m pretty sure Booker is way down on the posibilities to bring a title by himself the way Lebron does, so enabling him that way, is not wise in my opinion.

If Russell is worth it, sign him, if he values playing with his buddy high enough to leave money on the table, sign him if the discount is big enough. If Monty says he can work around Russell’s shortcomings and develop him, fine, sign him. But allow Russell to use us to get a max contract riding his friend’s leverage with a team is Lebronesque enough to pass, as well as letting Booker dictate terms “or else” is a recipe for failure, and to act prematurely moved by fear, is the worst. If the kid is as mature as the say, he will understand, and if frustration boils over, well so be it, sell him soon enough and under the radar, (something McD was famous for doing perfectly in the totally opposed way, and probably has caused some traumas around here),
After 51 years, what else could you possibly want out of this team besides a title? Of course it's worth it. Why would I care about the team's future or dignity if we win a title? Our dignity went out the window when Sarver bought the team, and I'll be happy with just one title. If I was a Cavs fan I would be happy we won a title.
I like my winning with a good taste in my mouth, never been the “at all costs” kind of guy, so we can agree to disagree here. Team’s dignity had suffer under Sarver, mine have not. A Title coming from a hip check? No thanks.

And you are leaving out my point here, Booker is not Lebron, and by far, so we will end up suffering Lebron-like abuse, without a title attached to it.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:46 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 pm
I remember the last time we apeased one of our “Stars” by bringing over his Bro, and how well that went. Of course you can argue that Booker is a real Star, but he hasn’t lifted this team so much either, he sometimes looks just like our “star by default”. Even if you want to consider him a Star big enough to demand this, all the Lebron teams had to pay a very high price onterms of money, dignity, future and flesh, to keep the King happy, not sure if a title is worth it, but I’m pretty sure Booker is way down on the posibilities to bring a title by himself the way Lebron does, so enabling him that way, is not wise in my opinion.

If Russell is worth it, sign him, if he values playing with his buddy high enough to leave money on the table, sign him if the discount is big enough. If Monty says he can work around Russell’s shortcomings and develop him, fine, sign him. But allow Russell to use us to get a max contract riding his friend’s leverage with a team is Lebronesque enough to pass, as well as letting Booker dictate terms “or else” is a recipe for failure, and to act prematurely moved by fear, is the worst. If the kid is as mature as the say, he will understand, and if frustration boils over, well so be it, sell him soon enough and under the radar, (something McD was famous for doing perfectly in the totally opposed way, and probably has caused some traumas around here),
After 51 years, what else could you possibly want out of this team besides a title? Of course it's worth it. Why would I care about the team's future or dignity if we win a title? Our dignity went out the window when Sarver bought the team, and I'll be happy with just one title. If I was a Cavs fan I would be happy we won a title.
I like my winning with a good taste in my mouth, never been the “at all costs” kind of guy, so we can agree to disagree here. Team’s dignity had suffer under Sarver, mine have not. A Title coming from a hip check? No thanks.

And you are leaving out my point here, Booker is not Lebron, and by far, so we will end up suffering Lebron-like abuse, without a title attached to it.
I wouldn't want a title from a dirty play like a hip check. But I wouldn't mind a "Lebronesque" one, lol. It's true that Booker is not LeBron, but I also don't want to have to start building a team all over again with him demanding a trade.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I guarantee you the Spurs don't think they won that title because of Robert Horry's hip check.

I get it. We're on the same side here. But don't forget that you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:35 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:50 pm
Ya, we are set up pretty nicely to strike out big in 2020 or 2021 free agency. A big reason why I don’t think we need to do anything drastic this free agency. Just sign a competent pg to a 2 year deal and go from there.
Fixed that for you. Nobody’s coming to Phx in FA unless we turn this clown show around first.
I also don’t think we’ll suck this year. I haven’t been thrilled with our offseason, but it’s hard to argue that we didn’t get better. Our best stretch last year was when Tyler/Booker/Bridges/Oubre/Ayton were all healthy and playing. We went 5-2 over a 7 game stretch. All those guys are back and will have improved. Plus we added Saric, Baynes, Johnson, and will sign a FA PG. Even if you don’t think Johnson will contribute much as a rookie, we’ll have 8 actual competent NBA players next season. Possibly 9 or 10 if the rookies do anything.
Every season you can make the argument for why "this year will be different."
And he does!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:52 am
I guarantee you the Spurs don't think they won that title because of R****t H***y's hip check.

I get it. We're on the same side here. But don't forget that you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass.
You really can't, though. All you see is bowels.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 pm
Our summer league coach?
He better not be. Nothing against him, but that would be a bull shit move by Monty. He is a new coach with plenty of young players and trying to implement a new system. He should be as hands on as possible. He has a reputation for being hands on(see draft workout interviews) so I hope he continues it in SL

I remember when Watson handed off summer league to a no name assistant like he was Greg Popavich tired from a long playoff run. And we had a tone of young players at the time. He should have been fired right then and there.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This is a total guess, but it seems more reasonable that Steve Blake is the summer league coach.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Our summer league coach?
He better not be. Nothing against him, but that would be a bull s*** move by Monty. He is a new coach with plenty of young players and trying to implement a new system. He should be as hands on as possible. He has a reputation for being hands on(see draft workout interviews) so I hope he continues it in SL

I remember when Watson handed off summer league to a no name assistant like he was Greg Popavich tired from a long playoff run. And we had a tone of young players at the time. He should have been fired right then and there.
Yup and Kokoskov coached our Summer League team and then went on to experience wild success during the season. I think we are focusing on things that don't really matter.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Even if Monty isn't coaching the team, he'll be in Vegas with the team running thru his system when they practice I'm sure. He just may not be physically coaching them on the sidelines. Not like Blake or Green are coaching the team and he's sitting at home just hanging out. And I'd expect to see Booker and Ayton in Vegas as well working out and learning with the young guys.
Last edited by ShelC on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:46 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I guarantee you the Spurs don't think they won that title because of R****t H***y's hip check.

Can’t even see that unless you’re wearing a miner’s helmet with a lamp.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:39 am
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:50 pm
Ya, we are set up pretty nicely to strike out big in 2020 or 2021 free agency. A big reason why I don’t think we need to do anything drastic this free agency. Just sign a competent pg to a 2 year deal and go from there.
Fixed that for you. Nobody’s coming to Phx in FA unless we turn this clown show around first.
I also don’t think we’ll suck this year. I haven’t been thrilled with our offseason, but it’s hard to argue that we didn’t get better. Our best stretch last year was when Tyler/Booker/Bridges/Oubre/Ayton were all healthy and playing. We went 5-2 over a 7 game stretch. All those guys are back and will have improved. Plus we added Saric, Baynes, Johnson, and will sign a FA PG. Even if you don’t think Johnson will contribute much as a rookie, we’ll have 8 actual competent NBA players next season. Possibly 9 or 10 if the rookies do anything.
And he does!
I just find life more enjoyable being optimistic. If we end up sucking, at least I had these 4 months of hope. Being pessimistic would mean I could possibly waste 4 months being pissed at how much we suck to find out we didn’t actually suck.

Truth is, none of us know exactly how this plays out. Everyone in the entire world(including our own front office) thought that 13-14 suns team would suck. They won 48 games. Everyone also thought last year’s Kings team would suck. They didn’t. Everyone, outside of suns fandom, will expect us to suck next year, but I think we’ve made enough adjustments that we won’t.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Sounds like some people with experience!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

And he does!
I just find life more enjoyable being optimistic. If we end up sucking, at least I had these 4 months of hope. Being pessimistic would mean I could possibly waste 4 months being pissed at how much we suck to find out we didn’t actually suck.

Truth is, none of us know exactly how this plays out. Everyone in the entire world(including our own front office) thought that 13-14 suns team would suck. They won 48 games. Everyone also thought last year’s Kings team would suck. They didn’t. Everyone, outside of suns fandom, will expect us to suck next year, but I think we’ve made enough adjustments that we won’t.
I'm with you, Split!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Our summer league coach?
He better not be. Nothing against him, but that would be a bull s*** move by Monty. He is a new coach with plenty of young players and trying to implement a new system. He should be as hands on as possible. He has a reputation for being hands on(see draft workout interviews) so I hope he continues it in SL

Prepare to be disappointed then. Monty already said he won't be coaching the SL team but like Shel said, he'll be there and will be hands on. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 am
This is a total guess, but it seems more reasonable that Steve Blake is the summer league coach.
Why? Didn't they say Willie would be a (the?) lead assistant?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 am
Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Sounds like some people with experience!
Yeah, I was bullied in high school.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

PLEASE WEAR GOGGLES IF YOU TRY THIS AT HOME

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

And he does!

I'm with you, Split!
And we appreciate all the positive fans that keep this site worth logging into.

I've tried to be an optimist over the last few summers, but I ran out of hope about 20 games into the season last year. Here's to a season when the optimists are right!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 am
Why? Didn't they say Willie would be a (the?) lead assistant?
That's my fault. I read that wrong. I thought he was coming to be the lead development coach. You're probably right, he probably will be the Summer League coach.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass