Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by ShelC »

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Does having Cam on the roster make it easier to let Oubre walk? I know I'd be willing to let him go, but I don't think Sarver thinks that way.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:39 am
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:35 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Fixed that for you. Nobody’s coming to Phx in FA unless we turn this clown show around first.
I also don’t think we’ll suck this year. I haven’t been thrilled with our offseason, but it’s hard to argue that we didn’t get better. Our best stretch last year was when Tyler/Booker/Bridges/Oubre/Ayton were all healthy and playing. We went 5-2 over a 7 game stretch. All those guys are back and will have improved. Plus we added Saric, Baynes, Johnson, and will sign a FA PG. Even if you don’t think Johnson will contribute much as a rookie, we’ll have 8 actual competent NBA players next season. Possibly 9 or 10 if the rookies do anything.
Every season you can make the argument for why "this year will be different."
And he does!
I just find life more enjoyable being optimistic. If we end up sucking, at least I had these 4 months of hope. Being pessimistic would mean I could possibly waste 4 months being pissed at how much we suck to find out we didn’t actually suck.

Truth is, none of us know exactly how this plays out. Everyone in the entire world(including our own front office) thought that 13-14 suns team would suck. They won 48 games. Everyone also thought last year’s Kings team would suck. They didn’t. Everyone, outside of suns fandom, will expect us to suck next year, but I think we’ve made enough adjustments that we won’t.
Totally agreed, I just woul complement you, by pointing out that pessimist’s misery extends longer than 4 months. It’s a year long commitment to avoid hope. and FUN, except for those that find solace on bursting other people’s balloons.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:29 pm
Does having Cam on the roster make it easier to let Oubre walk? I know I'd be willing to let him go, but I don't think Sarver thinks that way.
I am betting Jones doesn't think that way. Oubre is someone he actually brought in on his watch, and was a fan favorite, and seems to be one of the only guys in the NBA that wants to play here.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Again, I think 20-24 is the market if a team really wants him. I think matching over 20 is tough for us. We still have Bridges and Cam now, but would he take less to stay here with Book?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:49 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:29 pm
I am betting Jones doesn't think that way. Oubre is someone he actually brought in on his watch, and was a fan favorite, and seems to be one of the only guys in the NBA that wants to play here.
I agree; I think our FO wants to keep him. Indy's got it right when he points out that it does matter that Jones is the one who acquired Oubre. Newish GMs desperately want to prove their mettle by making trades and retaining their own guys. I am sure Jones really wants the Oubre acquisition to work out and for Oubre to become a part of the core here. He'll sign him as long as he doesn't request a ludicrous salary or want out or something like that.

I am a little worried about the articles popping up today saying that Oubre is going to command a lot of FA attention from other teams. I thought he might fly under the radar a little bit, but it sounds like teams are starting to realize that they won't be able to spend their cap space on the megastars they thought they could get. If a team like the Knicks or Clippers offers $20m/year to Oubre, we may not be able or willing to match. Hopefully nobody goes that crazy. I'm a little worried about the possibility that other teams bid up his price and we end up having to pay him like $18m/year to keep him. He may not be worth that much money.

I do think overpaying swingmen is the path to ruin, if they aren't at a Lebron/superstar level.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:58 pm
Again, I think 20-24 is the market if a team really wants him. I think matching over 20 is tough for us. We still have Bridges and Cam now, but would he take less to stay here with Book?

I am wondering if that is just noise the Suns are putting out there. No way would I pay that much for him. I am not sure there are more than a select few guys in the NBA at the 3/4 that I would pay +20M/year to.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:58 pm

I think anything over 15 would be unwise. I would feel comfortable at 13.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think 20 per is way too much, but what do I know?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Knicks won't spend their money him. I think the Clips, Pels or Kings could make a play for him.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:08 pm
Knicks won't spend their money him. I think the Clips, Pels or Kings could make a play for him.
I would be worried about the Kings out of that group. I think the Clips and Pels are both too smart to overpay Oubre.

Indy

Post by Indy »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:15 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:08 pm
I would be worried about the Kings out of that group. I think the Clips and Pels are both too smart to overpay Oubre.
the Kings would totally spend money unwisely. And as much as I appreciate the fire and energy and enthusiasm Oubre brought, no way is it worth 20M a year if it means we can't spend that money on other positions of need.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The nice thing about having drafted Cam Johnson is that if we really need to let Oubre walk, we can play a Bridges/Johnson SF rotation if we have to. A bit light on experience, but then, so is our whole team. Bridges is going to be a stud and he can start if we need him to start at SF. Just say "no" to paying Oubre $20m/year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Oubre's a 3rd star worth 20-24mil on a good team. Problem is, our 1st star is a SG, 2nd is a C and we have no PG. Building around a SG is incredibly tough and we're seeing the impact on the cap now. I think Oubre is worth 20-24 in this market. Could we get by with a less talented PG is the question.

Oubre would be a great fit with the Kings young core, playing off Fox and Bagley. Same with the Pels between Holiday and Zion. Those are more conventional Big 3s. Our Big 3 would be a SG, SF, and C.
Last edited by ShelC on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:26 pm
The nice thing about having drafted Cam Johnson is that if we really need to let Oubre walk, we can play a Bridges/Johnson SF rotation if we have to. A bit light on experience, but then, so is our whole team. Bridges is going to be a stud and he can start if we need him to start at SF. Just say "no" to paying Oubre $20m/year.
I really really like Oubre and want him back, but I can't say that I necessarily disagree with this.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

A lot of these reports (Woj's included) about how desirable a particular RFA is are generated by that player's agent to drum up interest and offers.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

"Ok Devin, take your pick - Kelly or D'Angelo".

Could you imagine Devin's reaction if we don't even make a play for Russell and then decide not to match Kelly.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Could you imagine Devin's reaction if we don't even make a play for Russell and then decide not to match Kelly.
I've seen this around a lot. Why does he have to make a choice? Because they expect Kelly to get an offer of $20 mil per? If they stretch Tyler or dump Josh and Okobo, they could pay DLo and match or sign Kelly.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

ShelC wrote:

We have to stop treating Devin with kid gloves and giving him agency in personnel decisions. He is simply not the level of player you give that power to.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
This is exactly what I’m scared of now. It seems like the most likely scenario. We’re gonna lose Oubre and sign a bunch of mediocre players in free agency.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.