Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by OE32 »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 am

Kinda what I'm afraid of. If the Clips don't throw an offer at Oubre (if they strike out on Kawhi) , we have some leverage but it could get ugly if we lowball like "hey, there's no more money out there. Take our offer or play out the year".
I hope James Jones, not Sarver, is the voice of reason in that room. I suspect that as a former player he might have a pretty good idea of what a bad contractual negotiation does to a player and a locker room. Sarver obviously has *experience* with this, but I expect his impulse might be to hardball.

I also hope Kelly doesn't come at all this from an unreasonable perspective... if he thinks he's worth $20 million no matter what the league tells him, then we're in a tough position. I wouldn't expect there to be any enticing S&T options. Not sure there are many solid FA options left, either, if we want to replace his scoring. How much faith do we want to place in Cam Johnson and Josh Jackson, in the alternative?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:17 am
I don’t like the term “empty stats.” Ayton’s stats weren’t empty. The rebounds he got helped the team, his high efficiency scoring helped the team. If you want to say he didn’t impose his will on the game, then that is accurate, but I don’t see the empty stats narrative.
I may not have been clear in my previous post. When I said that all of our stats last season were "empty stats," that was not meant as a defense or argument for the concept of empty stats. To the contrary, my point was that one shouldn't just dismiss Ayton's numbers as "empty," because basically everything we did last season was equally "empty" in the sense that it didn't build toward a lot of wins or a playoff berth or anything concrete of that nature. So I think Ayton's numbers were equally meaningful to Booker's or anybody else's on the team. I think Ayton had a pretty good though not stellar rookie season, and that he can build on this to be even better next year. I think having a distributing PG and more overall roster talent and shooting around him will help give him space and get him the ball in more scoring positions. I think his numbers and quality of play will go up noticeably next year, and I'm here for it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

OE32 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:37 am
I hope James Jones, not Sarver, is the voice of reason in that room. I suspect that as a former player he might have a pretty good idea of what a bad contractual negotiation does to a player and a locker room. Sarver obviously has *experience* with this, but I expect his impulse might be to hardball.

I also hope Kelly doesn't come at all this from an unreasonable perspective... if he thinks he's worth $20 million no matter what the league tells him, then we're in a tough position. I wouldn't expect there to be any enticing S&T options. Not sure there are many solid FA options left, either, if we want to replace his scoring. How much faith do we want to place in Cam Johnson and Josh Jackson, in the alternative?
Yeah, I don't think it'd be a good situation if Oubre takes the QO. That'd basically be a sign that negotiations broke down and that Oubre wants to leave. I hope that instead they find some compromise by maybe giving him a declining contract. Give him $20m the first year, but it decreases down to say $15m or less by the last year of the deal. Or if he wants more than that, fine, let's help him out and trade him to a team that wants to overpay him.

carey

Post by carey »

Kelly is a good player but if he wants to get paid like a great one I have no issue with keeping the money and using it on someone else next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:17 am
I don’t like the term “empty stats.” Ayton’s stats weren’t empty. The rebounds he got helped the team, his high efficiency scoring helped the team. If you want to say he didn’t impose his will on the game, then that is accurate, but I don’t see the empty stats narrative.
I may not have been clear in my previous post. When I said that all of our stats last season were "empty stats," that was not meant as a defense or argument for the concept of empty stats. To the contrary, my point was that one shouldn't just dismiss Ayton's numbers as "empty," because basically everything we did last season was equally "empty" in the sense that it didn't build toward a lot of wins or a playoff berth or anything concrete of that nature. So I think Ayton's numbers were equally meaningful to Booker's or anybody else's on the team. I think Ayton had a pretty good though not stellar rookie season, and that he can build on this to be even better next year. I think having a distributing PG and more overall roster talent and shooting around him will help give him space and get him the ball in more scoring positions. I think his numbers and quality of play will go up noticeably next year, and I'm here for it.
Just a thought, but maybe a better way to talk about player impact vs stats is to talk about high gravity play vs low. Booker had high G stats, while Ayton got most of his points and rebounds in lower gravity situations when the defense wasn't terribly concerned with stopping him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Couldn't they give him a contract close to what he feels he's worth that includes incentives? I think that's allowed and a way for each side to get what they want. I don't want the Suns to play hardball and hold leverage over his head. It should be something totally reasonable that doesn't create hurt feelings either way. I think the Suns should be appreciative for the type of player and what he brings in the positive that includes to the culture of the team. Heck, they paid Dudley $10 mil a year for being a good guy.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Front office probably thinks they can just start Bridges and sign a guy like Hollis-Jefferson for a fraction of the price to come off the bench.

We'll see what happens. I'd give Kelly a deal averaging 18 and wouldn't think twice about it. I'm sure we're in the 12-14 range and playing hardball.

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 am
Front office probably thinks they can just start Bridges and sign a guy like Hollis-Jefferson for a fraction of the price to come off the bench.

We'll see what happens. I'd give Kelly a deal averaging 18 and wouldn't think twice about it. I'm sure we're in the 12-14 range and playing hardball.
I'd rather go with Bridges and RHJ tbh.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am
Couldn't they give him a contract close to what he feels he's worth that includes incentives? I think that's allowed and a way for each side to get what they want. I don't want the Suns to play hardball and hold leverage over his head. It should be something totally reasonable that doesn't create hurt feelings either way. I think the Suns should be appreciative for the type of player and what he brings in the positive that includes to the culture of the team. Heck, they paid Dudley $10 mil a year for being a good guy.
I like this idea.
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 am

Funny, I think the $15-$16 range would be appropriate if we don't going In2's incentives route. Maybe all Kelly wants is the $$$ we gave Ariza. Maybe we'd think about that if we also got a Team Option. Who knows. I think it's pretty likely we get a deal done. He likes it here, doesn't he?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 am

Kinda what I'm afraid of. If the Clips don't throw an offer at Oubre (if they strike out on Kawhi) , we have some leverage but it could get ugly if we lowball like "hey, there's no more money out there. Take our offer or play out the year".
You mean Eric Bledsoe 2.0? Yikes.

September 25, 2014:
"I learned long ago that it doesn't matter how stormy the sea is as long as the ship comes in, and today we are thrilled that the ship has come in and Eric will remain a Sun for a long time," Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby said in a statement. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/115 ... r-contract
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Let him go.

SDC

Post by SDC »

He isn't needed.

Start mikal at the 3. Cam's the backup sf.

Offer oubre 13-14 mil a yr. If he doesn't like, let him go.

See? It's so simple. Don't overthink this.

(Is oubre being managed by klutch? )
Last edited by SDC on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:35 pm
He isn't needed.

Letting him go is foolish. We don't know where the Suns stand in negotiations and are just assuming he's wanting an absurd amount of money that another team is willing to offer him or that he's going to do a 1-year deal. A lot of assumptions.

While I think Mikal will eventually be a really good player, Kelly is better today and in the near future. Mikal provides great depth. That is shot if you let Oubre go and throw him out there his 2nd season to start for us. He's too inconsistent.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

SDC

Post by SDC »

The suns had no intention of keeping ariza after his deal expired. The sun's traded him for a guy the wizards don't want to pay.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 pm
SDC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:35 pm
He isn't needed.

Letting him go is foolish. We don't know where the Suns stand in negotiations and are just assuming he's wanting an absurd amount of money that another team is willing to offer him or that he's going to do a 1-year deal. A lot of assumptions.

While I think Mikal will eventually be a really good player, Kelly is better today and in the near future. Mikal provides great depth. That is shot if you let Oubre go and throw him out there his 2nd season to start for us. He's too inconsistent.
Yeah, it's a bit silly to just discard Oubre.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

I'm sorry, but I really don't care about oubre. They should have kept tj warren, who earns 12 mil/yr. TJ's slightly underpaid.

For oubre, it's either he accepts the "lowball" offer or he finds anther team.

Don't sign him to the one yr deal. Don't want a cancer in the locker room

SDC

Post by SDC »

Josh Jackson, Cam Johnson, mikal Bridges, Kelly oubre. That's a logjam at sf

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:53 pm
I'm sorry, but I really don't care about oubre. They should have kept tj warren, who earns 12 mil/yr. TJ's slightly underpaid.

For oubre, it's either he accepts the "lowball" offer or he finds anther team.

Don't sign him to the one yr deal. Don't want a cancer in the locker room
Clearly you just don't like Oubre. It has nothing to do with the contract offer, whether it's relatively team friendly or not. You'd be in favor of low balling him simply so he walks. What is it you don't like about him? Nothing at all indicates he's a cancer or ever would be.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:07 pm
Josh Jackson, Cam Johnson, mikal Bridges, Kelly oubre. That's a logjam at sf
Mikal can play some SG, Cam can play some PF in smaller lineups and Josh Jackson probably won't be around long if we re-sign Oubre.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Let's just let the situation play itself out some. All we hear in conjecture and it's not enough to start drawing conclusions from.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695